Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HayaBukhari)
    Me and my friends did notes on the chapters. They are pretty detailed so I hope it's helpful. Missing chapter 5 though because I can't find the copy!
    Hello,

I have been using your Elizabeth notes and they are fantastic! thank you so much.

I was wondering if you have found number 5 yet?

Many thanks,

G.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greekgeekable)
    Sorry, I still can not get into the gmail account.
    Thank you.
    It definitely works, keep trying.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if someone could formulate some sort of essay plan about the impact of factional rivalry on certainly Elizabeth's, and perhaps Edward/Mary's reign too? Questioning if they undermined her authority? I'm confused about this area!

Also, would you consider the puritan choir in Parliament as a faction? Or would you just stick to the general Bughley/Leicester Cecil/Essex Factions?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schoolie33)
    I was wondering if someone could formulate some sort of essay plan about the impact of factional rivalry on certainly Elizabeth's, and perhaps Edward/Mary's reign too? Questioning if they undermined her authority? I'm confused about this area!

Also, would you consider the puritan choir in Parliament as a faction? Or would you just stick to the general Bughley/Leicester Cecil/Essex Factions?

Thanks!
    Puritan choir would be for parliaments, not faction rivalries.

for Elizabeth you have it right.

For Mary you would bring up the debate about how the large amount of Privy Councillors MUST have led to faction rivalry and inefficiency- then bring up that Privy Councillor was an honorary title for Mary, so faction rivalry wasn't a problem.

Not sure about Northumberland. He handled the Conservative faction pretty early on with the second coup. Although you could possibly bring up about his behaviour after Somerset's counter coup where he became less concilliar in his approach to government and ruled with his henchman (name forgotten) who possessed the dry stamp. Even then though, he was effective in government.
    for Somerset, you could mention about how he thought he would have support from his faction with people like Thomas Seymour, Cranmer and Paget. Then how there were problems with Thomas undermining him.
    then about how the conservative faction (led by Warwick/Northumberland) had the coup against him. Although if The Q was on how faction rivalries led to government becoming less efficient, you would say that the faction rivalry between Somerset and the conservatives was a precursor to Northumberland becoming Lord of the Council, so the faction rivalry here was actually good (?)

It may be better (if they did ask some crazy faction rivalry question from 1547-1603) to talk about Edward VI's reign as a whole-rather than Somerset and Northumberland as two distinct people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knighty437)
    Okay guys finally sorted everything out and have created a Dropbox account for the exam.
    Email: [email protected]
    Password: elizabeth
    All the files are in there, 2 appear to be the same but thet're not! One is an A grade, possible A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope you don't mind but I've uploaded two of my own essays, they both got 38/40 however I was unable to upload the marked copies, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    38/45 I mean!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an ideas on possible upcoming questions ? They haven't asked about the puritans before

ReputationRep:
    How are you guys structuring your essays?

I've been told for synoptic questions (so across the entire period) it should be theamitic i.e a paragraph on government, rebellions, foriegn policy etc. depending on the question, but for the non-synoptic ones it should just be a normal "one side of the argument vs. the other side of the argument" essay, if that makes sense. Is that what you've got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)

I've been told for synoptic questions (so across the entire period) it should be theamitic i.e a paragraph on government, rebellions, foriegn policy etc. depending on the question, but for the non-synoptic ones it should just be a normal "one side of the argument vs. the other side of the argument" essay, if that makes sense. Is that what you've got?
    If by synoptic you mean stuff like:' assess the view that Elizabeth was able to deal with all her problems' then thematic is the way to go.

For the non synoptic I've been going for another paragraph following the weaker side of the argument (the first paragraph) where I evaluate what I said in that first paragraph. Then I go for the other side.

Elizabeth did have fly stockings. These reasons for Elizabeth having fly stockings are weak. Elizabeth did not have fly stockings.
    its what I've been going for

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys finally sorted everything out and have created a Dropbox account for the exam.
    Email: [email protected]
    Password: elizabeth
    All the files are in there, 2 appear to be the same but thet're not! One is an A grade, possible A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, but it's not working for me either.

just tried doing it on my iPod's email manager thing and it is telling me the password is incorrect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IllmaticDragon)
    If by synoptic you mean stuff like:' assess the view that Elizabeth was able to deal with all her problems' then thematic is the way to go.

For the non synoptic I've been going for another paragraph following the weaker side of the argument (the first paragraph) where I evaluate what I said in that first paragraph. Then I go for the other side.

Elizabeth did have fly stockings. These reasons for Elizabeth having fly stockings are weak. Elizabeth did not have fly stockings.
    its what I've been going for
    So would the bolded be the whole essay, or just a point and repeat?
    i.e would it be - Elizabeth had fly stockings, reasons are weak, did not have fly stockings. Elizabeth had a coat, reasons for this are weak, Elizabeth did not have a coat. Elizabeth had a scarf etc. etc.
    I'm presuming you mean the former just want to double check! What are fly stockings lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)

Are there any other ways of structuring an essay that is a quote from a historian

For example
    "There was a crisis for the English people but not for the English state between the years 1547 - 1558" how valid is this assessment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It definitely works, keep trying.
    It's worked for, thank you I really appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what sort of questions would be on France? trying to do some sort of essays plan but not a clue where to start!

ReputationRep:
    Puritan choir would be for parliaments, not faction rivalries.

for Elizabeth you have it right.

For Mary you would bring up the debate about how the large amount of Privy Councillors MUST have led to faction rivalry and inefficiency- then bring up that Privy Councillor was an honorary title for Mary, so faction rivalry wasn't a problem.

Not sure about Northumberland. He handled the Conservative faction pretty early on with the second coup. Although you could possibly bring up about his behaviour after Somerset's counter coup where he became less concilliar in his approach to government and ruled with his henchman (name forgotten) who possessed the dry stamp. Even then though, he was effective in government.
    for Somerset, you could mention about how he thought he would have support from his faction with people like Thomas Seymour, Cranmer and Paget. Then how there were problems with Thomas undermining him.
    then about how the conservative faction (led by Warwick/Northumberland) had the coup against him. Although if The Q was on how faction rivalries led to government becoming less efficient, you would say that the faction rivalry between Somerset and the conservatives was a precursor to Northumberland becoming Lord of the Council, so the faction rivalry here was actually good (?)

It may be better (if they did ask some crazy faction rivalry question from 1547-1603) to talk about Edward VI's reign as a whole-rather than Somerset and Northumberland as two distinct people.
    I'm sure the henchman was Gates who controlled the dry stamp. As a result Northumberland had "unhindered power" (Guy). This is a tactic I like to call "I've learnt a quote for this exam and I am determined to put it in regardless of the essay title! " Alternatively just make up a general quote with a made up historian- teacher's surname will usually do- or use an actual historian and pray the examiner doesn't know they didn't say that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but it's not working for me either.

just tried doing it on my iPod's email manager thing and it is telling me the password is incorrect
    Has it worked now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexadd)
    I hope you don't mind but I've uploaded two of my own essays, they both got 38/40 however I was unable to upload the marked copies, sorry!
    Not at all, the more the merrier!

ReputationRep:
    Remember to sign out of the dropbox account people, just to see if that works for others signing in!

ReputationRep:
    Hey these are some possible questions that my teacher prepares but they don't include anything on France as far as I'm aware. But it will give you an idea on how questions are worded.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Possible A2 questions (1).doc (43.0 KB, 4692 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by csmith95)
    My teacher seems to thing foreign policy in relation to France is a strong contender, as it's never come up and there's so much to talk about.
    She also said religion is a possibility, more spefically MQS - which would be ideal as this allows you to talk about internal problems, foreign policy with France and Scotland and MQS herself. Really hoping government doesn't come up, it's so dull compared to everything else.
    Also, I trust her judgement as she successfully predicted both my AS exams for Russia
    My teacher also said Franco-Scottish relations will come up this year!
    There will always be a religion question as it's such a big chunk of the course. I'm confident in both, but still revising government incase the questions aren't that great :L wbu? I know quite a few said they wouldn't learn Government because they will do the questions on Religion and FP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.