x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR scares me watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    Then just ignore them. :curious:
    The obviously misogynistic comments (massively over exaggerated in quantity BTW unless the mods are better than I thought) are clearly trolling. They continue to do so because some people can't understand they might not be serious and make stupid threads like this...
    I have known people with similar views in real life. They tend to nurse those views while feeling particularly disenchanted with relationships and/or society in general. Why do you think some of the people posting backwards views on TSR don't actually hold these views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    :sigh:

Do you lack basic reading skills?

I deliberately said that the fact that these opinions are not present in real life means that in reality a lot of men might harbour such attitudes towards women and are using an anonymous forum to voice them.

I KNOW that in real life, no one says this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again.

You think the opinion of a few people on TSR means a lot of men in real life have the same opinion?

Really?

ReputationRep:
    Well unfortunately you are just very unobservant or are deliberately ignoring what happens frequently here.

Not too long ago, I was debating with someone who kept on reiterating that women added nothing to a relationship except to care for the home and give birth. Literally.

And he wasn't trolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I see the odd thread that could be classed as somewhat misogynistic, but I see as many bemoaning the awful state of 'misogyny on TSR.' I wouldn't say it's a constant problem, though it does happen sometimes. It's no more a 'constant' problem than the few anti-Semitic threads we get every month.

Which is why I asked if you could show me a few examples, to show that it is 'constant,' being as you felt strongly enough to make a thread about it I had assumed you'd have a little evidence.

Oh, and by the way, I've seen it posted that men add nothing to a relationship and even that men are unnecessary to the future of the human race by female posters on here. I've also seen female posters laugh about male genial mutilation, I've yet to see a male poster seriously make a joke about FGM in a serious thread :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Then just ignore them. :curious:
    The obviously misogynistic comments (massively over exaggerated in quantity BTW unless the mods are better than I thought) are clearly trolling. They continue to do so because some people can't understand they might not be serious and make stupid threads like this...
    I'm not sure about all of them

(Original post by Steevee)
    And here is the disagreement, and we'll find ourselves at an impasse. There is little institutional discrimination against women in modern Western society, you'll find it balanced by the discrimination men face. I'll stop you before you try to bring up 'rape culture' or 'the patriarchy' because again, these are narratives few outside of the clique of modern 'Feminism' accept, but going on past experience you will not consider that they do not exist and I will not indulge you by pretending they do.

And no, I can't, I haven't saved the threads and I really can't be bothered to trawl through TSR to try and find them, but I'm sure you've seen them, I see you in every thread even vaguely related to sexism, feminism, misandry etc.
    The disrimination that men face though is as a result of patriarchy, which benefits no one except posh white dudes. You don't think there's institutional sexism? Really?

Funny, vecause I can link to what I'm on about

(Original post by Ronove)
    You claim she was yelling. That was an exaggeration.

The way you tell her to calm down just comes off as paternalistic. It sounds like you think any time she is arguing a point, she is on the verge of having some sort of psychotic break. It's bizarre and patronising and makes me cringe to read it. Heaven forbid she uses caps lock in a post. Better tell her to stop that, she might burst a blood vessel.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    What I find backwards is the amount of women agreeing with your OP though, so many men are nice to women on here compared to other sites. I don't agree with censorship so I'm not going to support your point, but I respect your opinion

We don't know, but we can't immediately assume that they do, because that would be stereotyping and lead to harsh/invalid judgements. Most children are brought up with good manners and have experienced a life where women are treated quite equal in comparison to men. Obviously there are a select few who are butthurt but these are the minority.

There are websites like that, well because there are websites like that. All the men on those websites are there for that purpose but it still doesn't mean that because such things exist that it should scare you; there are people you just won't like and they won't like you. I hate women who say its women hating when an issue of male sexism is brought up, it really makes my blood boil
    How is assuming that someone actually holds the view they are putting forward on the internet and claiming to hold 'stereotyping'? What are you even talking about?

ReputationRep:
    I have known people with similar views in real life. They tend to nurse those views while feeling particularly disenchanted with relationships and/or society in general. Why do you think some of the people posting backwards views on TSR don't actually hold these views?
    Because many of the complainers were commenting that they "never experience this is real life."
    I was pointing out the concept of trolling, it doesn't mean people do hold these opinions just because they post on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    How is assuming that someone actually holds the view they are putting forward on the internet and claiming to hold 'stereotyping'? What are you even talking about?
    > Claiming that every user who writes stuff that would be considered as ''women hating'' is a ''women hater''

That is stereotyping every user who posts things like that, even if it were to be found out that they were a troll

ReputationRep:
    Well most of the people on this site hold god awful opinions and that's generally reflected in the way they treat people that hold different opinions. I've found that in most threads along these lines there's is at least some level of passive-aggressive vitriol which makes arguing with the people in question one of the most frustrating tasks imaginable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    No actually, I agree. There's a lot of very nasty guys on here, and they're not all trolls. For every troll thread, there's genuine responses from men who seem to utterly despite and distrust all women. It's really quite sick.

But then again, if you look at the average TSRian, it probably explains a lot.
    Hold on there. Now while a lot of the responses will be horrifically biased due to a lack of social skills, I have to confess that im not a fan of the average British girl, and I've lived all over the country so its not a localised thing. They tend to be insecure, boring, overweight or ugly, and all in all, not actually very nice people. Mix that in with the fact that almost none are single for more than 6 weeks at any time, and its a sad sight indeed.

If you're looking for a girl that is feminine, interesting, nice, doesn't have a load of emotional issues, and of course is single, you may as well try flying to the moon.

(FYI I don't think the guys offer much either before anyone wants to deflect this onto guys)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    Well most of the people on this site hold god awful opinions and that's generally reflected in the way they treat people that hold different opinions. I've found that in most threads along these lines there's is at least some level of passive-aggressive vitriol which makes arguing with the people in question one of the most frustrating tasks imaginable.
    Same could be said for arguing with most feminists

It's just as bad on the other side

ReputationRep:
    I dont hate women, just feminists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyxstudio)
    I dont hate women, just feminists
    You realise the meaning of feminism is anyone who wants gender equality, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Same could be said for arguing with most feminists

It's just as bad on the other side

You rarely see feminists saying "I hate none-feminists". You regularly see none-feminists saying "I hate feminists".

ReputationRep:
    OMG. I did not say ALL men and neither did they, please, please just read and understand what. I. Am. Saying.

And of course I'm not actually terrified of this because the truth is I haven't even seen this sort of behaviour in real life, that's my point. I'm just worried that many more men than we know actually think like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Plenty do, unfortunately. However, many have no need to display it though, so it doesn't become apparent. And many subconsciously have these thoughts, due to social conditioning.

It's the world we live in.
    People still think racist thoughts and still stereotype. Many people still haven't fully accepted homosexuals (they're tolerant, but they don't like it)

This is the same. It will take a few generations (at least) before we see true equality. Think how long anti-racism campaigns have been going for, and yet we still have problems.

Sexism is more accepted in society than racism. it's brushed under the carpet, and less blatant so it's likely to stick around for even longer.

Sad, but the truth.
    I'm surprised that people are still surprised.

ReputationRep:
    When I read "women hating men" I thought " finally you've acknowledged that women do that on TSR too, maybe she's not as one sided as I originally thought."
    Then it all made sense.
    Lol, makes two of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    You rarely see feminists saying "I hate none-feminists". You regularly see none-feminists saying "I hate feminists".
    and?
    does it really matter who hates each other more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I judge them by what they do not what they say and feminists aren't interested in helping men. Can you name me anything significant that feminists have done for men?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    Ah OK - so in response to my telling a user to calm down, you're consistently bringing it up and refusing to see past that small point. Because that's not exaggerating at all.
    Have you got a personal problem with me, Ronove? I've asked if you wanted to keep it on topic instead of going off on a tangent based on two words, but you clearly don't want to.
    You don't seem to understand what 'exaggerate' means.

I do not have a personal problem with you but I'm rapidly gaining one. Glad we've got that out of the way.

'asked if I wanted to keep it on topic'? I had a problem with something you said. What does 'asked if I wanted to keep it on topic' mean if not 'stop criticising something I said/did'? You did something worthy of criticism, I am criticising it. If you're so keen on staying on topic, why don't you discuss the OP rather than Tyrion's approach to discussing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Think it depends on the type of Feminism, which as a word has a bad stigma now. Should just say you're 'egalitarian' tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    TSR scares me too
    :lol: that is indeed scary

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.