Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

illusionz' ICF blog watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Was a joke (excuse to smash another one) and always
    I started having my mass gainer shake basically as soon as I wake up..

700 cals, 40g protein, but the feels in the stomach

the feels...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    I started having my mass gainer shake basically as soon as I wake up..

700 cals, 40g protein, but the feels in the stomach

the feels...
    I have no issue eating enough food. I ****ing love carbs. If I cook pasta I'll easily cook 200+g dry as a normal portion. It's only protein I don't get enough of. Eat plenty of carbs (breads/pasta/rice though not sugars) and enough fats.

ReputationRep:
    I have no issue eating enough food. I ****ing love carbs. If I cook pasta I'll easily cook 200+g dry as a normal portion. It's only protein I don't get enough of. Eat plenty of carbs (breads/pasta/rice though not sugars) and enough fats.
    I'm talking digestion feels.

and the aftermath

lel

yeah that was my usual portion of pasta = 200g. it's a sizeable amount, but doable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking digestion feels.

and the aftermath

lel

yeah that was my usual portion of pasta = 200g. it's a sizeable amount, but doable.
    Did a 500g packet on tour. Either the pasta went or my eyebrows did. Getting drunk that evening was a struggle.

ReputationRep:
    Did a 500g packet on tour. Either the pasta went or my eyebrows did. Getting drunk that evening was a struggle.
    ahahaha

yeah definitely the pasta!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    24/2/14

Back on the smith squats as maxed out the dumbells on single leg split squats last time. Sigh my gym is awful.
    50, 70, 100 x5
    112.5 5x5 PB

Deadlift
    60, 100, 120, 130, 140 x5
    Hook grip was a monumental catastrophe. Was stronger with overhand than hook. Mixed was okish. 140 was more like 5x1 than 1x5 as had to keep drying hands

OHP
    35, 40x5
    45 5x5 PB
    Them feels when someone with bigger arms than you asks if you're done with the 45kg barbell so he can go squat with it.

Row -10%
    60 5x5

BW Dips 8, 8, 7

Bar curls 30 3x8, incline curls 12kg 5, 8, 8, 7

Abs - stuff. They hurt.
    Your lifts are coming on awesomely, good work!

ReputationRep:
    24/2/14

OHP
    35, 40x5
    45 5x5 PB
    Them feels when someone with bigger arms than you asks if you're done with the 45kg barbell so he can go squat with it..
    Them feels when literally everyone struggling with 120-140kg deads for reps is bigger than you when you can dead 160kg for reps. I have them feels often .

Same for bench TBH.

Good job on the PEEBEE though!

ReputationRep:
    As was away at the weekend had to alter my workout plan this week. Workout this morning and also hockey this evening. Not ideal so didn't do squats as would just ruin hockey. Got new bench and row PB though

Bench
    20x15, 40x10, 50x5
    65 5x5 PB

Row
    50x5
    60x6
    65 5x5 PB

Shrugs with actual barbell rather than smith. Didn't feel as heavy - maybe poor form. Not sure, but traps didn't feel it as much as usual
    70x8
    75 3x8

Skullcrushers
    bar + 22.5 4x8. Decided to try and video myself on 3rd set, ****ed up camera angle so did another. Smashed previous pb.

As can't do 16kg dumbell curls for many reps at all did higher volume.
    30kg bar curls 3x8
    14kg incline curls 7, 7, 7 - couldn't get the 8th rep on any of the sets

ReputationRep:
    Didn't check before but it looks like we're of similarly strength.. getting in here haha. You look like you lift though

What sort of rows do you do? Grats on the PBs

ReputationRep:
    Had a bit of a gap, was frustrating. No time to train on friday when I wanted to, then 2 hockey matches on saturday so had to wait until today. Was really hungover and had only eaten half a chicken and chips all day when I trained at like 7pm. Didn't want to be there but guilt won over laziness. Didn't do much progression as felt pretty ****.

Squats
    Warmups then 112.5 5x5

Deadlift
    60x5
    100x3
    120x3
    140x3
    145 5x1

Had about 10-20s rest between each rep of 145, so think better described as 5x1. PB of sorts.

OHP
    35x10
    45 5x5

Row -10%
    60 6x5

BW Dips 3x8

Incline curls 8, 7, 5. Was running really short on time as had a roast at home and wasn't able to rest as long as I needed. Also generally tired etc

(Original post by Implication)
    What sort of rows do you do? Grats on the PBs
    Yates style.

ReputationRep:
    4/3/14

Squat
    warmups not recorded
    115kg 5x5 PB

Bench
    Judging from last time, didn't think I'd manage to progress this week as no spotter. Redid 65kg, added extra set so some sort of progress, in hindsight should probs have tried 5x6 rather than 6x5. Will try 67.5 next time.
    65kg 6x5

Row
    Wasn't 100% happy with form last time on 65kg, so redid it again. Felt much better today, will progress next time.
    65kg 6x5

Shrugs
    77.5kg 3x8

Skulls
    EZ bar + 22.5 8, 8, 9. Went for 1 more rep on last set.

Straight bar curls
    30kg x 8
    35kg x 8, 6
    30kg x 8
    Incline curls 14kg x6

Gym shut, went home before I'd finished. Took longer than expected resting on my compounds. Squats took almost 30 minutes for warmups/streching and 5x5 lol

ReputationRep:
    6/3/14

Everything today felt great apart from the OHP which was terrible. Ah well.

Squat
    117.5 5x5 PB

OHP
    35x7
    45 2x6, 3x5
    Form bad... again.

DL
    60x5
    100x3
    120x3
    150x3, 2 PB Rest between 3rd and 4th rep too long to claim same set imo. Was over 10s.
    155 x4+f PB
    Washed hands after 150, removed the sweat and suddeny boom. Grip was good. So close to smashing 155x5 but failed on last rep. Will wash hands before working set from now on and hopefully grip problem partially solved.

Row -10%
    60 5x6
    6 rep sets to make up for the fact that main row hasn't increased and as a result the -10% weight not increased

Dips + 5kg
    8, 8, 7 PB
    Given that a few weeks ago couldn't even do 1x8 BW dips very pleased to basically have 3x8 +5kg

Straight bar curls
    35kg 8, 8, 6 PB
    Incline curls
    14kg 8, 8, 6

Cable crunches
    73kg 20, 15, 13
    supersetted with
    Chins 5, 5, 4

Biceps well and truly dead. I know I'm doing more bicep volume than the program says... but **** it, while I'm a young noob who recovers quick, what's the harm in doing more work?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    6/3/14

Everything today felt great apart from the OHP which was terrible. Ah well.

Squat
    117.5 5x5 PB

OHP
    35x7
    45 2x6, 3x5
    Form bad... again.

DL
    60x5
    100x3
    120x3
    150x3, 2 PB Rest between 3rd and 4th rep too long to claim same set imo. Was over 10s.
    155 x4+f PB
    Washed hands after 150, removed the sweat and suddeny boom. Grip was good. So close to smashing 155x5 but failed on last rep. Will wash hands before working set from now on and hopefully grip problem partially solved.

Row -10%
    60 5x6
    6 rep sets to make up for the fact that main row hasn't increased and as a result the -10% weight not increased

Dips + 5kg
    8, 8, 7 PB
    Given that a few weeks ago couldn't even do 1x8 BW dips very pleased to basically have 3x8 +5kg

Straight bar curls
    35kg 8, 8, 6 PB
    Incline curls
    14kg 8, 8, 6

Cable crunches
    73kg 20, 15, 13
    supersetted with
    Chins 5, 5, 4

Biceps well and truly dead. I know I'm doing more bicep volume than the program says... but **** it, while I'm a young noob who recovers quick, what's the harm in doing more work?
    God damn it man buy some liquid chalk from MP or wherever, your DL will rocket even more than its doing!

Good job mate, the gains are strong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    God damn it man buy some liquid chalk from MP or wherever, your DL will rocket even more than its doing!

Good job mate, the gains are strong
    I'll get round to it eventually lol

Also 1RM calc saying that I now have dat der 2x BW DL. Now to work on my terrible upper body...

ReputationRep:
    Progress day!

Squat
    50, 70, 90 x5
    120 5x5 PB

Bench
    20x10, 50x5, 60x3
    67.5 5x5 PB

Row
    60x5
    67.5 5x5 PB

Shrugs
    80x8, 77.5 2x8

Skullcrushers
    EZ bar + 25 x 7
    EZ bar + 22.5 2x8
    Tempted to deload the bar and try and keep the elbows tucked in. My triceps burned like **** after these so it's definetely hitting them hard, don't know whether higher weight and poorer form is better than lower weight and strict form. I remember a big discussion a while back where the general consensus was cheating to get big weight up is better.

Bicep work
    straight bar curls 35kg 8, 7, 7
    14kg incline curls 8, 6, 6

No time for abs as needed to get home for a roast duck. Yeah buddy. Watched the rugby before went to gym also so was quite a tight session.

As have been on ICF for a month and a half now just took a few pics. I lie. The reason for the pics was I managed to get an insane bicep pump today. Would do sexual favours to keep.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    We have a similar physique.

I noticed you do straight bar and incline curls!

Isn't that a lot?

ReputationRep:
    We have a similar physique.

I noticed you do straight bar and incline curls!

Isn't that a lot?
    Well, yes. Few reasons. I'm a bro at heart. Moar bicep work! But from a logical perspective there are two arguments which make sense in my head at least... Firstly as long as I'm recovering from one workout to the next... more work is surely better. Secondly getting progressive overload is hard with the bicep movements because the weight increases are relatively speaking, very big. Hence I can get my overload by higher volume rather than higher weight.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes. Few reasons. I'm a bro at heart. Moar bicep work! But from a logical perspective there are two arguments which make sense in my head at least... Firstly as long as I'm recovering from one workout to the next... more work is surely better. Secondly getting progressive overload is hard with the bicep movements because the weight increases are relatively speaking, very big. Hence I can get my overload by higher volume rather than higher weight.
    Possibly.

I might start doing straight bar as well for the lulz.

I also just bought liquid chalk because I've been meaning to buy some for a long time, but this thread has reminded me.

Your arms are bigger though, even with a pump.

Also, I finally got 12kg 3x8! with proper form
    aw yeah

ReputationRep:
    11/3/14

Squat
    120 5x5
    Felt pretty easy, will increase next time

Deadlift
    60, 100 DOH x5
    120, 140, 155 mixed x3
    Was going for 155x5, felt easy, grip was solid, but on 1st rep I got a pain behind my right knee. Felt as if it was a tendon at the bottom of my hamstring. Ignored it for 2nd rep then it was worse on 3rd rep so stopped. Frustrating. Need to google to see if I can work out what the issue might be.

OHP
    45kg 5x6
    Easy. Will go for 47.5 next time. Have been on 45 for a few workouts (so 6 rep sets to make it harder) now as wanted to get form decent (not leaning back like I'm doing the limbo).

Row -10%
    62.5kg 5x5
    Easy. -10% so expected to be so.

Dips + 6kg
    8, 8, 7+f
    So close to that last rep. Will go to 7kg next time nonetheless as basically had 3x8

Bar curls 35kg 8, 8, 7+f. So close.
    Incline curls 8, 7, 5.

No time for abs again. Got distracted before I left and didn't get there till like 20:15. Shuts at 22:30.

Also wtb better arm/leg size ratio.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Nothing like a crotch shot to enlighten my evening

Now that you can't deadlift.. how about some chalk for your spare time...

Also you're missing core stuff out...

Do some planks or something in your bedroom, add weight with books etc if you dont have time!

On a better note, stop lifting, give me time to catch back up when I'm fixed and can out deadlift and squat you once more!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.