Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

I can't even get over how overrated Breaking Bad is Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's certainly no Torchwood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerribleTej)
    Apart from the first 5 episodes of Game of Thrones which even I found a bit boring and difficult to understand due to the large amount of characters, all the others are incredible as there is always something unexpected occurring, provided you understand what's going on you will love the show, the problem with it is like I said before, too many characters which makes it difficult for most people to understand, but overcome that and you will see that the actions and political maneuvering of different people (for themselves or their family) are all contributing to the destruction of their society.
    It's not really a show for stupid people. And an understanding of how monarchs used to work, especially the war or the roses gives you more of an appreciation of the storyline.

ReputationRep:
    Just wait until the last 2 seasons. It gets better and better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Well, it's certainly no Torchwood.
    This again..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    It's not really a show for stupid people. And an understanding of how monarchs used to work, especially the war or the roses gives you more of an appreciation of the storyline.
    Agreed, I am amazed by the fact that people can't remember 20-30 characters, watch them again and again and eventually you will know who is who, but a lot of people who watch the more popular TV shows just do so because "everyone else watches it" and often don't understand the plot or the characters properly, Breaking Bad especially and also Game of Thrones to a small extent are class examples of this. However I dont think anyone who watches TV shows for the story lines would ever watch BB, where as most would watch GOT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerribleTej)
    Agreed, I am amazed by the fact that people can't remember 20-30 characters, watch them again and again and eventually you will know who is who, but a lot of people who watch the more popular TV shows just do so because "everyone else watches it" and often don't understand the plot or the characters properly, Breaking Bad especially and also Game of Thrones to a small extent are class examples of this. However I dont think anyone who watches TV shows for the story lines would ever watch BB, where as most would watch GOT.
    I think this is why I hate BB. Because I don't look at the quality of acting, I look at the storylines. And I think GOT is indisputably so much better in this aspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)
    No. It is by far the best tv series I have ever watched.

Can't comment other than your in the minority if you don't love Breaking Bad, meh each to their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Breaking Bad was great but it started getting boring. The ending was good again, but that over-hyped episode after the shooting, everyone was like "omg it was so much better than Dexter finale, can't wait for BB finale now". Ozymandiaz or something. It was good but nowhere near as good as people made out.

Oh and House of Cards >>> BB and GoT

But then I really don't like GoT. I love to read fantasy, but I hate it on screen.

ReputationRep:
    The first couple of seasons were phenomenal, the ending good but everything else in between was average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcasticMel)
    Breaking Bad was great but it started getting boring. The ending was good again, but that over-hyped episode after the shooting, everyone was like "omg it was so much better than Dexter finale, can't wait for BB finale now". Ozymandiaz or something. It was good but nowhere near as good as people made out.

Oh and House of Cards >>> BB and GoT

But then I really don't like GoT. I love to read fantasy, but I hate it on screen.
    I watched HoC a couple of weeks ago. It was okay, definitely watchable but nothing special. Not even in my top 10 TV shows of all time for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    I watched HoC a couple of weeks ago. It was okay, definitely watchable but nothing special. Not even in my top 10 TV shows of all time for me.
    I guess you don't like the genre then?

But Kevin Spacey, some of the best TV acting I ever saw.

ReputationRep:
    It goes: Breaking Bad > Game of Thrones > True Detective > House of Cards

I started Breaking Bad when it was in its second season with absolutely no expectations which is probably why I like it so much. Now literally everybody is talking about it which kinda ruins it I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you don't like the genre then?

But Kevin Spacey, some of the best TV acting I ever saw.
    It wasn't the genre, it was the writing. I know it's a remake but that's not really an excuse.

SPOILER ALERT don't read the following if you haven't seen both seasons of House of Cards.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I agree Spacey's acting was top. And I was enjoying the first half of season 1. Then when he killed Peter I was like, oh, this isn't a serious show then? He's a proper "villain" now. I stuck with cos I thought perhaps the second season would be a good battle between Kate Mara (I forgot her character's name) and Spacey, since it seemed like everyone in the political world was incredibly stupid and unable to figure him out no matter what he did. Then they kill her in the first episode. And that murder was just so ridiculous that I lost faith from then on. Tusk was supposed to be his nemesis but he was just stupid too, as was the president in trusting him at the end when it was so obvious that he shouldn't.

Overall, it just seemed like it couldn't get the balance right between knowing it was over the top, and thinking it was gritty and realistic. It took itself very seriously but was just so unbelievable and had so many things you had to overlook.

The cinematography was top notch though, presumably Fincher's input. And yeah the acting was good.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't the genre, it was the writing. I know it's a remake but that's not really an excuse.

SPOILER ALERT don't read the following if you haven't seen both seasons of House of Cards.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I agree Spacey's acting was top. And I was enjoying the first half of season 1. Then when he killed Peter I was like, oh, this isn't a serious show then? He's a proper "villain" now. I stuck with cos I thought perhaps the second season would be a good battle between Kate Mara (I forgot her character's name) and Spacey, since it seemed like everyone in the political world was incredibly stupid and unable to figure him out no matter what he did. Then they kill her in the first episode. And that murder was just so ridiculous that I lost faith from then on. Tusk was supposed to be his nemesis but he was just stupid too, as was the president in trusting him at the end when it was so obvious that he shouldn't.

Overall, it just seemed like it couldn't get the balance right between knowing it was over the top, and thinking it was gritty and realistic. It took itself very seriously but was just so unbelievable and had so many things you had to overlook.

The cinematography was top notch though, presumably Fincher's input. And yeah the acting was good.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    pah, name me one TV show that is realistic and not over the top. i do however agree that it moved very fast for him to become president.

ReputationRep:
    >filler: the tv show
    >better than breaking bad

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    pah, name me one TV show that is realistic and not over the top. i do however agree that it moved very fast for him to become president.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No, I think you misunderstood my post on that part. I don't have a problem with unrealistic TV (of course, if I did my options would be severely limited!), my issue is the way the more unrealistic parts just don't fit with the tone of the show as a whole. The show presents itself as realism and takes itself very seriously, which makes the over the top parts seem kind of ridiculous. Like I said, I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't call it a "top" TV show.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No, I think you misunderstood my post on that part. I don't have a problem with unrealistic TV (of course, if I did my options would be severely limited!), my issue is the way the more unrealistic parts just don't fit with the tone of the show as a whole. The show presents itself as realism and takes itself very seriously, which makes the over the top parts seem kind of ridiculous. Like I said, I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't call it a "top" TV show.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    fair enough. but have you seen scandal? compared to that what happens in house of cards is 100% believable. and a lot of people rate scandal very highly...i loved season one but then kind of lost my hype, still watched it over time but it fell out of my favorites because of what you said about house of cards really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's over-rated! I've just finished watching it (on boxset) and think it was one of the best tv shows I have ever watched, well apart from the fly episode! That was just awful. It's hard for me to divide up the series into their different seasons (particularly 3-5) but I've thoughly enjoyed them all. Unlike some, I loved the second season.

The only thing I'd say is I wish that at the end of the final ever episode, they'd skipped a bit into the future (whether it be a week(s) later, months or even years) just to show what happened to some of the characters.

I don't think there's any tv character I've loved more than Jesse Pinkman! Especially when you see he's not a bad person underneath, he does care for some people.
    Just felt such empathy towards him and give him a hug and tell him it'll be ok.

I hear there's going to be a spin off series called "Better Call Saul" which will be starring Saul and Mike, with possible cameos from Jesse and Walt. Void in my life right now without Breaking Bad!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.