Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Meat eaters, defend your position Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
    I recently became a pescetarian.

Yes, meat is delicious. But I think vegetarianism is not natural to all of us, it's certainly not natural to me. Some people are, or become more morally, or psychological OCD in their diets. I have. Some people have a quality of empathy extending beyond humans, others do not. Nothing wrong with that.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you feel happy to eat fish but not land animals?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knee Grow)
    Just out of curiosity, why do you feel happy to eat fish but not land animals?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't see them on the same level as land animals. I've seen videos of fish being slaughtered- but no emotion is really evoked in me the way I feel when I see land animals are killed. It's irrational, completely and I really didn't understand why- but apparently sometimes its because its psychologically harder to feel sympathy for fishes as their in the sea- we associate ourselves with land, according to what someone told me.

ReputationRep:
    Here are my list of reasons:

1)It's good for you. Easier to avoid nutritional deficiencies like iron/B12 while eating a meat based diet, don't need to rely on supplements
    2)Easier to get in a lot of protein, a steak and a couple chicken breasts and that's practically your daily requirement sorted. Again, no need to rely on shakes and other supplements. Meat has a lot of creatine in it as well
    3)Tastes ****ing brilliant
    4)Far more choices and variety, don't have to seek out the one or two vegetarian dishes they serve at most restaurants
    5)We are omnivores, we are evolved to eat meat. We have canine teeth and enzymes in our stomachs that can digest any amount of meat just fine
    6)Tastes ****ing brilliant
    7)There is no logical reason not to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    What? I thought they just pecked at each others' feathers! :eek:
    they do the feathers thing to- i meant cooked chicken though lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
    I don't see them on the same level as land animals. I've seen videos of fish being slaughtered- but no emotion is really evoked in me the way I feel when I see land animals are killed. It's irrational, completely and I really didn't understand why- but apparently sometimes its because its psychologically harder to feel sympathy for fishes as their in the sea- we associate ourselves with land, according to what someone told me.
    Oh right, that's kind of the way I feel about all farm animals. Some may say that it's emotionless but I don't feel much when I see videos of battery farms etc. I don't encourage treating animals like that but I can't say that it makes me sad or distressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merlock)
    they do the feathers thing to- i meant cooked chicken though lmao
    Oh lol ok. It still comes as a surprise to me that a chicken would eat chicken.

ReputationRep:
    why do I have to defend my eating habits? :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I love you.
    I could think of other reasons but I think that's a good enough reason in itself isn't it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    On why you eat meat.

For me, it boils to me not caring excessively about what happens to animals beyond keeping a certain amount of genetic diversity in the wild. At this point in time, anyway.

I expect I may progress my thinking at a later stage in my life.
    Easy, I eat meat because;
    1. I'm not arrogant enough to argue with nature
    2. I accept that I need good, cheap sources of protein
    3. I am not selfish enough nor a hypocrite to pass on food due to ethical reasons when people are staving.

Any of those 3 always gets a lefty veggy to shut up quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I am an omnivour, you wouldn't ask a lion to defend its meat eating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, that's kind of the way I feel about all farm animals. Some may say that it's emotionless but I don't feel much when I see videos of battery farms etc. I don't encourage treating animals like that but I can't say that it makes me sad or distressed.
    The only times I'd feel bad about an animal being killed are:

1) Its a pet of someone
    2) Its an endangered species

I do think there is a point where you have to protect certain species and ensure that they are looked after because of industries that kill them for meat and so on but those bred in battery farms are bred to be killed and become food so its just the way it is. The funny part of this is, if these battery farms didn't exist people would have to go out and hunt and would be more cold and less empathetic towards animals and thus this wouldn't even be an argument. The problem is, now humans have become civilised to this point they see this as inhumane whereas its entirely natural. They'd have an entirely different view if they had to go out and hunter gather. They dont thanks to the battery farms you mentioned. In fact, these battery farms stop us having to deal with a lot of other distress such as killing animals ourselves. I think they do us a great service.

(Original post by EllieC130)
    No one *****es out other omnivores. Eating meat is natural and as much as I love animals, some just happen to taste good. I respect people who can stick to their guns for what they believe as vegetarian do. As long as they don't preach to me when I can't.
    Great post.

(Original post by bramley)
    I could think of other reasons but I think that's a good enough reason in itself isn't it..
    Absolutely. I tend to think of it that, at the end of the day, it's the natural order of things. Animals eat animals, people eat animals too. We're designed to eat animals.

Besides, what you said about steak... if I couldn't have a ribeye with stilton on it and scrambled egg chips with it, I would not be a happy man.

ReputationRep:
    meat tastes better, its healthier for you if you eat meat within the right amount,theres a wide variety of meat products,its more convenient and theres nothing morally wrong in eating meat. i find it so funny when militant veggies criticize meat eaters.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, vegetarianism can't be universalised. I don't personally see anything wrong with not being a vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    Oh lol ok. It still comes as a surprise to me that a chicken would eat chicken.
    nah, they're not phased at all they're greedy little buggers, so they'll pretty much eat anything haha

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Animals are eating meat every day as well. So why humans should not eat meat? its a simple food chain, the circle of life!

ReputationRep:
    Bacon.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Meat is a healthy part of a balanced diet, and has a lot of nutrients in it which are difficult to get from vegetarian diets (vegan diets even moreso). Humans are omnivores and we evolved to eat meat. Meat is tasty as well.

I personally am quite a picky eater, and cutting meat out of my diet just isn't an option at the moment. If I were to do that I would be restricting my diet even further. Eating meat adds variety to the diet.

I have nothing against vegetarians and vegans, but that lifestyle isn't for me.

ReputationRep:
    Fills me up. Tastes good.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.