Turn on thread page Beta

Things you do which are socially "frowned upon"? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Going to the cinema alone to watch a movie is actually so much better than going with someone. The other week I asked if anyone wanted to watch a film and no one was up for it, they would rather stay home and do something else so off I went and enjoyed the movie so much more.

You can eat what you want, sit where you want, leave when you want to, watch what you want to.. It's just so much better.

Why is it socially unacceptable to watch a movie alone =_= why do people feel obliged to take someone with them, to sit in silence with :/
    I've never really understood the cinema thing either tbh, I've done it before and feels fine I guess it's usually associated with being a shared experience rather than something you can do alone - the world is a strange, strange place

ReputationRep:
    i would have thought that would have been fine

ReputationRep:
    Lived in London my whole life and making conversation is like trying to get blood out of a stone aha-not that I mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hdaindak)
    Lived in London my whole life and making conversation is like trying to get blood out of a stone aha-not that I mind
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    How often I shave and wash my hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KESEdwards)
    Having a selfie of just yourself as your phone wall paper is definitely weird for me. If someone did that at our school they would definitely get ripped on a lot, and deservedly so. How can you say that's not vain?
    Firstly I liked the picture and it's on my personal phone. Putting a selfie as a dp or instagram post and begging for #like4likes and all the rest I feel is more vain, than simply putting a picture as your wallpaper. I'm not forcing the pic on anyone, and it's really just for me - so I genuinely genuinely don't understand why it's an issue...what's weird exactly?:confused:

P.s - can you please quote me on reply, as I didn't even realise you replied to my post directly.

ReputationRep:
    I wear head bands and ribbons even though I'm older than 12. I don't know whether it's frowned upon but I do get some strange looks and sniggers whenever I wear one.

ReputationRep:
    Speak my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    So when I was with a friend,my phone rang and he saw on my wallpaper was a picture of myself, a selfie I took about a week earlier. No other friends, no clever caption or meme, just me. He thought this was weird and said that no one does this. I didn't really understand that, because from my point of view, I looked nice :rolleyes: and so yes, I wouldn't mind looking at that picture when I unlock my phone. I didn't even think it suggests I'm vain, because it's not like I'm showing everyone, uploaded it online, or even wanted him to see...it's just for me.

Does anyone else actually do this? Or see the problem in it?

What things do you do which could be seen as perhaps a little socially unacceptable?
    Skateboarding. I landed a Tre Flip on the flatground - no obstacles - and some guy got annoyed and told me to stop it. I don't get it? It's like saying "HOW DARE YOU HAVE FUN AND ENJOY YOURSELF!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Well in Britain, speaking to a stranger to say anything other than "excuse me".
    Are you southern by any chance?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I dye my hair a lot.
    I refuse to wear loads of warm clothes when the weather's cold.
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Well in Britain, speaking to a stranger to say anything other than "excuse me".
    Oh yes. I have to restrain myself from saying "good morning' to passers-by . I always get offended when I get no responses then I realise they're just being British :lol:.

ReputationRep:
    Where do I begin? I don't know if its just me or if anyone else has similar experiences but..

I like to eat.. A lot. Everyone does. But because I'm a girl and I normally eat more than the people I'm eating with, I always get dirty looks more often than not even though I know how to maintain a healthy weight and figure.. It's not my fault I have a big appetite and an appreciation for good food! I can never get a full stomach without being patronised anymore it's ridiculous.

The same things happen because I don't drink alcohol nor do I go to wild parties just because it's the way I was brought up - I come from a non alcoholic family and for some reason I get very uneasy in large crowds. A lot of my friends and the people in my school do drink alcohol and party at any chance they get and that's fine with me but as soon as I turn down the alcohol and refuse a party invitation I get looked at like I'm some sort of alien or something. I just don't get it -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilyghz)
    Where do I begin? I don't know if its just me or if anyone else has similar experiences but..

I like to eat.. A lot. Everyone does. But because I'm a girl and I normally eat more than the people I'm eating with, I always get dirty looks more often than not even though I know how to maintain a healthy weight and figure.. It's not my fault I have a big appetite and an appreciation for good food! I can never get a full stomach without being patronised anymore it's ridiculous.

The same things happen because I don't drink alcohol nor do I go to wild parties just because it's the way I was brought up - I come from a non alcoholic family and for some reason I get very uneasy in large crowds. A lot of my friends and the people in my school do drink alcohol and party at any chance they get and that's fine with me but as soon as I turn down the alcohol and refuse a party invitation I get looked at like I'm some sort of alien or something. I just don't get it -.-
    Wow lol. I can't imagine why anything you said would be socially unacceptable :/ seems fine to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Wow lol. I can't imagine why anything you said would be socially unacceptable :/ seems fine to me!
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a complete food and booze snob to the point it irritates everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I walk around in my pyjamas. While not particularly an odd thing to do on a university campus, I expect anyone not in the bubble of university would find it odd haha :P

Uhhh. I go to church? While not socially unacceptable I don't think, I have had the responses 'uhhh, why are you going to church when you study biology?' and 'only weirdos go to church.' :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    I walk around in my pyjamas. While not particularly an odd thing to do on a university campus, I expect anyone not in the bubble of university would find it odd haha :P

Uhhh. I go to church? While not socially unacceptable I don't think, I have had the responses 'uhhh, why are you going to church when you study biology?' and 'only weirdos go to church.' :P
    LOL "why are you going to church when you study biology?" Hahaha that's funny. Also i walk around in my pyjamas all the time!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh another thing: I like eating alone. I like taking walks alone. I like listening to music alone. I like spending time alone. Though I don't like being lonely, I should think its acceptable to want some time by yourself every once in a while without being assumed that I have no friends at all :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shodann)
    When I guess it would be polite to "take it easy" on someone at something or give them a chance when they challenge you at something or when you get paired up with someone who is less skilled then you, I'm like **** it I'm going for it
    You would believe it to be polite but it can me be met with disapproving looks when they think you are being condescending when in fact you're just being polite, giving them a sporting chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    Firstly I liked the picture and it's on my personal phone. Putting a selfie as a dp or instagram post and begging for #like4likes and all the rest I feel is more vain, than simply putting a picture as your wallpaper. I'm not forcing the pic on anyone, and it's really just for me - so I genuinely genuinely don't understand why it's an issue...what's weird exactly?:confused:

P.s - can you please quote me on reply, as I didn't even realise you replied to my post directly.
    Arguing that "it's not worse than this so it's not bad" isn't really valid, although I'd say that making a picture your dp is not half as bad as making it your wallpaper. Making it so that every time you open your phone you see a picture of yourself is really strange for me, and undoubtedly vain.

I'm not saying it's an issue because it's affecting other people or causing harm as you're arguing against; it's just moist.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.