The Student Room Group

As sociology 15th and 21st may 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bunny2014
Aww that's good to hear! And aww excellent! Fingers crossed it will come up!

And yeah I'm okay at it! I'm sure you love it!

Sorry I meant to say gender won't come up !! But ethnicity might!! Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophiedurrant
Sorry I meant to say gender won't come up !! But ethnicity might!! Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww that's fine! And thank you! You too! :smile:
Reply 102
Hi guys, just posted this information on another thread. Its just how I've constructed essays in class and got A grades.

In methods in context:
Talk about strengths and limitations of the research method but relate it to educations and in particular the subject in the item to get the good marks. You also need to discuss methodological perspectives so positivist and interpretivist perspectives. You need to make about 2-3 strengths and limitations (so 2-3 each) and make sure you link back to context.
You don't need to have studies to support your answer for the MIC questions but it may help depending on the question.

In the last 20 marker on RM:
If the question asks 'assess the problems sociologists may face using laboratory experiments'
For this question, do not just discuss the problems. By assess you need to give counter arguments backed up with studies and/or examples. Make sure you know at least 3 strengths and 3 limitations for each research method. Don't forget a brief intro and conclusion. Intro should include what the research method is, how it is carried out. Conclusion should briefly sum up points and consider effectiveness.
Throughout your essay make sure to mention the fact that there practical, ethical and theoretical constraints.

My teacher taught us a really good wha to remember the different constraints

PET - practical, ethical and theoretical.

PRACTICAL - 'RAFT'
R - Recording
A - Access
F - Funding
T - Time

ETHICAL - 'MAID'
M - Moral
A - After effects
I - Illegal
D - Dangerous

THEORETICAL - 'RIPOVR' (RIP Our Vomiting Rat)
R - Reliable
I - Interpretivist
P - Positivist
O - Objective
V - Valid
R - Representativeness

Try and structure your essay in order of these constraints. For example "a practical consideration of overt participant is the fact that it may be difficult to record data".

Relax guys, the examiners take into consideration the fact that we are 17 year olds in exam conditions. (Apparently) Hope you all get on okay and this helps.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are a STAR! Thanking you!!!!!!!!!
Wow you've been so useful to me!
(edited 9 years ago)
i reckon a 12/20 mark question could focus on the theories like functionalists/marxists bc there wasnt a question like that on the scly1 paper
There's a big chance that education policy will come up as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Thank you , this is so useful .:smile:
Reply 108
Hi guys, just posted this information on another thread. Its just how I've constructed essays in class and got A grades.

In methods in context:
Talk about strengths and limitations of the research method but relate it to educations and in particular the subject in the item to get the good marks. You also need to discuss methodological perspectives so positivist and interpretivist perspectives. You need to make about 2-3 strengths and limitations (so 2-3 each) and make sure you link back to context.
You don't need to have studies to support your answer for the MIC questions but it may help depending on the question.

In the last 20 marker on RM:
If the question asks 'assess the problems sociologists may face using laboratory experiments'
For this question, do not just discuss the problems. By assess you need to give counter arguments backed up with studies and/or examples. Make sure you know at least 3 strengths and 3 limitations for each research method. Don't forget a brief intro and conclusion. Intro should include what the research method is, how it is carried out. Conclusion should briefly sum up points and consider effectiveness.
Throughout your essay make sure to mention the fact that there practical, ethical and theoretical constraints.

My teacher taught us a really good wha to remember the different constraints

PET - practical, ethical and theoretical.

PRACTICAL - 'RAFT'
R - Recording
A - Access
F - Funding
T - Time

ETHICAL - 'MAID'
M - Moral
A - After effects
I - Illegal
D - Dangerous

THEORETICAL - 'RIPOVR' (RIP Our Vomiting Rat)
R - Reliable
I - Interpretivist
P - Positivist
O - Objective
V - Valid
R - Representativeness

Try and structure your essay in order of these constraints. For example "a practical consideration of overt participant is the fact that it may be difficult to record data".

Relax guys, the examiners take into consideration the fact that we are 17 year olds in exam conditions. (Apparently) Hope you all get on okay and this helps.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean about after effects?
Reply 109
education: policies methods in context: observation and theory and methods: documents/and experiments/ questionnaire
Reply 110
This may be a stupid question, but in the research methods section can you relate the methods to educational case studies or does it have to be cases of no particular relevance to education at all?

I also didn't really know how to answer the beanpole question last week! I'd come across it in my revision, but my teacher had never taught it. I made an educated guess and said it was a family split across various generations almost like an extended kin family but tall and narrow like a beanpole, although I don't think this is 100% right! :frown:
Original post by FlowC
What do you mean about after effects?

So in Milgram's study it was unethical because his participants suffered seizures and fits as an after effect. Also if people have distress after the experiment/observation these are all ethical considerations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
So in Milgram's study it was unethical because his participants suffered seizures and fits as an after effect. Also if people have distress after the experiment/observation these are all ethical considerations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't that go with danger?/harm
Original post by 08vihe
This may be a stupid question, but in the research methods section can you relate the methods to educational case studies or does it have to be cases of no particular relevance to education at all?

I sat this last year (Resitting it this year DX) and for the research method qus, you can bring in any area you've learnt which relates to the question, so you can bring in education, but you can also bring in, say families and households or another topic you've learnt and how the sociologists used their methods, for example..
No they are different. Danger is things like how in covert observation there is a danger of being uncovered which could jeopardise the whole investigation whereas after effects are more to do with the individual/group being studied :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Original post by MissluluB
I sat this last year (Resitting it this year DX) and for the research method qus, you can bring in any area you've learnt which relates to the question, so you can bring in education, but you can also bring in, say families and households or another topic you've learnt and how the sociologists used their methods, for example..

Thank you so much! Thats so helpful!! :smile:
Original post by 08vihe
Thank you so much! Thats so helpful!! :smile:

You're welcome ^_^
What dosa imposition problem mean agajn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much do people generally write for a 12 mark question? Presuming too long to bullet point
I think maybe the question will be on ethnicity, boys achievement

Methods: Participant ob, and official stats

Questions could be anything really

Quick Reply

Latest