Turn on thread page Beta

AQA AS Sociology help from a predicted 'A' grade student. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia1245)
    WHO AGREED SOCIOLOGY WAS AWFUL I only wrote a page for the last question

I thought it was awfull!! I didn't even write a page for the last question, had no idea what to put other than dependency and strain on services..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra0)
    I thought it was awfull!! I didn't even write a page for the last question, had no idea what to put other than dependency and strain on services..
    I wrote that too and social problems in family that woman have to care for them
    Then u could add in the femenist doesn't like it

ReputationRep:
    only thing i knew was what a beanpole was i completly forgot to do conclusions too im so stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlowC)
    Yeah, so hard just hope the boundaries are low! For one of the features of symmetrical family i put geographical isolated,affluent and young but think thats not relevant!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so hard just hope the boundaries are low! For one of the features of symmetrical family i put geographical isolated,affluent and young but think thats not relevant!
    For symmetrical family I just wrote how the division of labour is equally shared, So both does housework and child care, and women going of to work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlowC)
    For symmetrical family I just wrote how the division of labour is equally shared, So both does housework and child care, and women going of to work
    Yeah i put that but couldn't think of a third one so just put who was most likely to be symmetrical.

For the divorce question what did you say?

ReputationRep:
    I loved this exam paper! Everything was what I was strongest with in revision and the first question was a keyword that I went over last night. Feeling good about this.

ReputationRep:
    For ageing I just wrote anything I could think of from what I learned it geography hahaha

ReputationRep:
    I realise now I CAN talk about this paper because it's AQA not Edexcel...

The reasons for changes in divorce and marriage were quite good. I talked about them separately and then sometimes together if I thought of a reason that affected both of them, for example, secularisation. I tried to weave in some views here and there so I talked about functionalists. Although there are less marriages and more divorces, they still point out that there are more re-marriages, illustrating that it is still desirable. I also talked about how the New Right believe the increasing divorce rate is bad because it undermines the nuclear family and the fact that feminists think it's good because it shows women are escaping oppression (I saved all this good stuff for towards the end...I was glad to see the information popping up in my head ).

For the question about if an ageing population is bad for society or whatever, I talked about the dependency ratio, a strain on public services, ageism but I also discussed the fact that for Marxists, an ageing population still benefits a capitalist society as the old are maintained for the lowest amount possible when they are too old to produce profit anymore. I also mentioned the fact that although some believe that the elderly increase the dependency ratio, Murray would probably say that it is actually lone parent families put a strain on government funding the most (since he seems to hate lone parent families so much). I REALLY didn't want to let everything I was revising go to waste lmao.

Although the paper looked horrible at a first glance (mostly because the ****ing beanstalk question or whatever at the beginning...never heard of that family type in my life so maximum I can gain is 58 marks loooool), as I went on, the paper was actually quite straightforward and I am still going to hold the view that they're going easier on us because we had no January exams. If you think about it, the short answer questions were pretty easy and for changes in marriage and divorce, you could pretty much talk about anything relevant...every single pattern mentioned in topic 5 overlaps in terms of reasons affecting it, it's usually always secularisation and declining stigma at the very least. I think a lot of candidates would have stumbled on the last question and thought, "WHAT THE HELL? A 24 MARK QUESTION ON AN AGEING POPULATION I'M SCREWED!"; that's what I thought when I read all the questions at the start (because I've never seen a 24 mark question on demography) but the item really helped and it was easy to answer if you don't let yourself panic. Just before I wrote it, I jotted down some random ideas that came into my head beforehand so I wouldn't forget them. I'll be really surprised if I don't do well tbh and I'm kinda expected to because of my rep in class lmao...just need to revise for education now because I don't remember anything for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlowC)
    yeah i talked about women have a burden upon them because thye are in full time education, careers and also need to look at the elderly in the house which could cause stress etc

ReputationRep:
    Symmetrical family is where a woman and male share common roles.. so what you've written is unfortunately not relevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeshaAK)
    Symmetrical family is where a woman and male share common roles.. so what you've written is unfortunately not relevant

Thanks for replying yeah i put that, in the first part i talked about conjugal roles, with men and women sharing out roles and with them both working but i didn't think that was enough for 6 marks so just put in that haha. I said like the first feature,second feature etc but if i put enough information in one feature then could i still get full marks? If that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcheldean)
    I found it ok in all honesty! I don't like how they put divorce and marriage together but I still got it done The ageing population was ok but what did everyone include?
    for the ageing population essay, I wrote
    statistics (average age, under 16s and over 65s etc)
    birth rate
    life expectancy
    dependency ratio
    changing policies
    positive sides

my teacher said that was pretty much what I needed. Included introduction and conclusion as well

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying yeah i put that, in the first part i talked about conjugal roles, with men and women sharing out roles and with them both working but i didn't think that was enough for 6 marks so just put in that haha. I said like the first feature,second feature etc but if i put enough information in one feature then could i still get full marks? If that makes sense...
    Giiiiiiiiiiirl to be honest - I think I lost like 2 marks on that one xD HATE MYSELF FOR THAT.. but overall paper was nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphoric-state)
    Yeah. Hello! Name's Megan, but stuff the introductions.

i'm sort of determined to prove to both myself and my family that I can actually help people out with Sociology and not just Medicine, as my parents would love to have me believe.

So if anyone needs any help with anything like layout / content for
    15 / 30 mark answers {unit one- Families & Households} 12 / 20 mark answers {unit two- Education / Educational policy}

- Definitions for both units
    - Research methods layout / content (unit two papers)

then let me know please? and please don't be shy.
    hi. can you help with this? 'evaluate how social factors affect society and individuals.'

ReputationRep:
    hiya, my exam for family and religion is this wednesday morning and i’m looking over some policy questions for the families topic and i’m wondering if i can include education policies in my answers even though it’s not the education paper? will i still be marked if the question isn’t specific to families such as “name two policies marxists wouldn’t support”

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.