Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level Environmental Studies exams 2nd and 4th June watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkwarrior23)
    Are you in year 12 or 13? I felt chemistry was more of a gift... sky high grade boundaries coming up
    13, spent my 1st year living the dream in hospital, ironically helped get me days there shadowing :L Chemistry's always just recycled questions these days tbh, kinda annoying seeing its less about how much chemistry you know, more about how consistent you are at not making silly mistakes, still going for 100% ums to take the pressure off ye old a-level exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyStrange13)
    Thanks xD Yeah, I think my teacher said learn the practical skills more than anything and I will.
    I seem to find the questions for this exam harder than unit 3, do you feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyGit07)
    13, spent my 1st year living the dream in hospital, ironically helped get me days there shadowing :L Chemistry's always just recycled questions these days tbh, kinda annoying seeing its less about how much chemistry you know, more about how consistent you are at not making silly mistakes, still going for 100% ums to take the pressure off ye old a-level exams.
    Do you feel this year or last years bio2 was more difficult and why? + No way dont talk about chemistry like that haha

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel this year or last years bio2 was more difficult and why? + No way dont talk about chemistry like that haha
    Dad's a chemistry teacher... Has its perks :L And hmm i'd have to say last years for sure, mainly because I had one less year of experience dealing with HSW questions This year, as long as you know what they want when they give you a graph, and your half decent at maths, then it was really just a matter of rinse and repeat.. People who got by due to that reason will have a big shock with the A-level exams...Its not nearly as cushy. In all honesty say what you will about enviro, the exam I sat today was more difficult than that biology exam, least with enviro you actually read the syllabus to get the marks.

ReputationRep:
    Dad's a chemistry teacher... Has its perks :L And hmm i'd have to say last years for sure, mainly because I had one less year of experience dealing with HSW questions This year, as long as you know what they want when they give you a graph, and your half decent at maths, then it was really just a matter of rinse and repeat.. People who got by due to that reason will have a big shock with the A-level exams...Its not nearly as cushy. In all honesty say what you will about enviro, the exam I sat today was more difficult than that biology exam, least with enviro you actually read the syllabus to get the marks.
    But that's only because Bio2 was a poor exam. Bio1 was solid biology with application so it wasn't easy but it wasn't bull**** neither

ReputationRep:
    But that's only because Bio2 was a poor exam. Bio1 was solid biology with application so it wasn't easy but it wasn't bull**** neither
    Cant comment on BIOL1, didn't retake it, but rest assured that it's got nothing on BIOL5, it will literally be my Everest. I mean after endless genetics to round it off with a 25 mark essay where you have to know the entire syllabus just to get an B, if you want an A-A* you have to come up with 25% content that isn't even on the syllabus... #Cut4AQA

ReputationRep:
    Cant comment on BIOL1, didn't retake it, but rest assured that it's got nothing on BIOL5, it will literally be my Everest. I mean after endless genetics to round it off with a 25 mark essay where you have to know the entire syllabus just to get an B, if you want an A-A* you have to come up with 25% content that isn't even on the syllabus... #Cut4AQA
    Yeah I've heard about that.... can the 25 marker be about any topic you've learnt in the last 2 years or?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've heard about that.... can the 25 marker be about any topic you've learnt in the last 2 years or?
    Its a random 2 essays which teachers unlike previous years are no longer able to predict which aim to encompass a large proportion of the syllabus from the last 2 years, not on a singular topic but multiple topics. But I wouldn't be concerned with remembering the AS content, once you face Krebs Cycle/Photosynthesis and Gene sequencing in BIOL4/BIOL5, AS becomes a doddle... The way im going about it is getting 90% + before the essay and then doing damage limitation...

Anyway, i've derailed the thread enough, so im'a go cry into some joyous BIOL5 papers..

Best of luck to everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by propagation)
    I seem to find the questions for this exam harder than unit 3, do you feel the same?
    Yeah, I think they do require more thought and are worded slightly weirdly and I've noticed when I'd get feedback on my homework I wouldn't always get the full marks for quite a few of the exam questions actually.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think they do require more thought and are worded slightly weirdly and I've noticed when I'd get feedback on my homework I wouldn't always get the full marks for quite a few of the exam questions actually.
    There also seems to be a lot of how science works which is crap and I hate sustainability

ReputationRep:
    Did people put for the formation (conditions)of PAN's:
    -clear sky the night before
    -no winds
    -temperature greater than 18 degrees?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks xD Yeah, I think my teacher said learn the practical skills more than anything and I will.

(Sorry to but in) what do you mean about practical skills?

ReputationRep:
    Did people put for the formation (conditions)of PAN's:
    -clear sky the night before
    -no winds
    -temperature greater than 18 degrees?
    I thought it was conditions for temperature inversions

- clear skys to increase the amount in infrared radiation lost
    - valleys because the temperature at the base is much lower than the peak
    - coasts because cold sea air cools the ground

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by behindblueglass)

Oh yeah I put topagraphy not greater than 18 degrees that was for the comparison of Smoke smogs andPAN's
    I think I got 3 marks then, as no/little wind is definitely right and so is clear skys the night before.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I put topagraphy not greater than 18 degrees that was for the comparison of Smoke smogs andPAN's
    oooh sorry bit blonde today (more than usual)!
    smoke smogs = temperature inversion cause the formation of fog which is colder and denser than the air above so it cant rise, smoke pollution mixes with the fog and then pollution remains where it is
    photo chemical smog= not really a smog, caused by a reaction of sunlight and nitrogen oxide producing ozone. temperature inversions mean the pollution can't dissipate. PANs are created by the combination of ozone, noxs and volatile organic compounds.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it was okay but there were some really weird questions and I feel I've only done well on the essay question and on the photochemical and smog question. How did you find it? Also what stats test did you put for the question on lead impact on different plant species?
    I put down T-test i think (and i'm pretty sure that's right because most of my friends put that too). Um i was really happy with it because hardly any noise pollution or radiation, which were my two worst topics!
    May i ask what grade you're aiming for and what you got last year? I got an A last year, and i want an A* this year, so i beat what my brother got a few years ago!

ReputationRep:
    I put T-test also.
    I put the soil one same depth, same time after pption and store in seal bag.
    I must have read it wrong?
    That's exactly what I put (for both questions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by behindblueglass)

yes it was sorry :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weeble33)
    That's exactly what I put (for both questions).
    nice

ReputationRep:
    yes it was sorry :P
    Haha good

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2014

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.