Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    UCL and KCL use the LNAT whereas LSE expect about 10 A*s.
    I agree that LSE are ever so slightly obsessed with GCSE grades. I'm not sure about UCL, but at the KCL open day yesterday the Admissions Tutor said he looks for a minimum of 6 A* or A grades at GCSE level.

ReputationRep:
    Well yea, but thats 6 As which basically everyone applying for law will have. Its not *s, which most will have anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis-HuStuJCR)
    Well yea, but thats 6 As which basically everyone applying for law will have. Its not *s, which most will have anyway.
    Yes, precisely. I was simply trying to show that they weren't so stringent with their GCSE result requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    I agree that LSE are ever so slightly obsessed with GCSE grades. I'm not sure about UCL, but at the KCL open day yesterday the Admissions Tutor said he looks for a minimum of 6 A* or A grades at GCSE level.
    Hmm. Interesting one that. I suppose its a way of narrowing the field down in a climate where it is increasingly common to have candidates with A's and A*'s. that said, you risk ruling out those who develop later on. In my case it wasn't until A Level that I really kicked on and found my best and it will be the same for others I would imagine.

(Original post by Stick Man)
    Makes sense

Regarding univerisities in the North North of London, have you considered whether you would mind going to a campus university (Nottingham, Warwick) or are you a city person through and through (Newcastle, Leeds)?

No, I'm not sure which category to put Durham in either. (I'm not going there as I'd like a bit more distance between me and home )
    I wouldn't actually mind a campus university, I am actually considering Warwick although I think I would actually prefer something further North.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick rejected me!! Not that I would have gone there ahead of notts anyway.

ReputationRep:
    UCL and KCL use the LNAT whereas LSE expect about 10 A*s.
    Who told you that? :confused: I have 1 A* (and 5 As etc) but I got into LSE. Although my high school was really bad and my results were the highest in my year and we had no teachers for several subjects, but it goes to show that LSE can be flexible.

All these rumours regarding LSE admissions are quite worrying. I've heard lots of really good students say they won't apply because they don't have x number of A*s. If I had discovered TSR before I sent my application theres no way I would have applied to LSE. Maybe people should stop guessing what the admissons tutors are looking for and just apply.

You have to remember that people on TSR are going to be the more academic people and therefore those who got into LSE are pehaps those with higher grades but thats only a minority of people and theres way too much speculation on this forum about university admissions.

So if you really want to apply to LSE then do it, the most you have to loose is a choice on your application.

(Original post by seaspray)
    Well then I might as well not apply to KCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriswhit)
    Hmm. Interesting one that. I suppose its a way of narrowing the field down in a climate where it is increasingly common to have candidates with A's and A*'s. that said, you risk ruling out those who develop later on. In my case it wasn't until A Level that I really kicked on and found my best and it will be the same for others I would imagine.
    I remember something you said the other day about universities not having the time to interview candidates, but what do you think about some sort of independent body (like LNAT) that could interview everyone based on criteria set by universities then perhaps give each person a score which could then be used alongside grades to select people?

I agree about GCSEs though, At my college there are quite a few people who have average results but then go on to get much better A levels than their GCSEs would suggest.

ReputationRep:
    Well then I might as well not apply to KCL.
    Do it or you'll never know. With the amount of A levels you are doing (in one year aswell) you stand a good chance, get all As and a decent LNAT score and you should get the pick of unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guccilittlepiggy)
    Do it or you'll never know. With the amount of A levels you are doing (in one year aswell) you stand a good chance, get all As and a decent LNAT score and you should get the pick of unis.
    I agree. If other areas of your application (LNAT/AS results/PS) are particularly strong then I am sure you still stand a chance of getting an offer. Whilst the admission tutor definitely said he looks for 6 A*/A this is not an official requirement and I would guess that there are some people who get accepted without this.

ReputationRep:
    As for the interview thing with LNAT it wouldnt work. Thast why they dont mark the essay. Because all unis use it in a different way. Interviews are too, i dont know how to put it, "abstract" i suppose. They can only "score" you to the standard of every uni where there is a right/wrong answer.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you got people who have experience of interviewing or have an academic background. I'm sure there would be enough teachers who would be willing to work for a week or two doing interviews. Its not the best idea but the system at the moment really isn't working.

ReputationRep:
    I remember something you said the other day about universities not having the time to interview candidates, but what do you think about some sort of independent body (like LNAT) that could interview everyone based on criteria set by universities then perhaps give each person a score which could then be used alongside grades to select people?
    Interesting. Certainly would get round the admin aspect of things. From the bit I do know about such things though, I think the universities would be a bit weary of any element of relinquishing the wide discretion they have at the moment. They may fear a slippery slope to being told who they can and can't admit on what basis, but this is little more than a semi educated guess on my part!! Also, I think some places like to see people in the flesh as there is(though i hesitate to use the term!!) some sort of X factor in some cases in a way that standardized questions couldn't really get at.

Is nice to see innovative solutions tho..perhaps you should email Tony?

ReputationRep:
    I would be surprised if any university rejected anyone on GCSE grades alone.

If only.:p:

If I apply to KCL, UCL, Durham, Warwick/SOAS and QMUL the only one which I would appear to have a chance at is QMUL and the area appears to be terrible so I wouldn't really be happy there. (I am going to visit but it will probably be after I have sent my application off)

ReputationRep:
    I *think* you can substitute choices after you apply.

ReputationRep:
    If only.:p:

If I apply to KCL, UCL, Durham, Warwick/SOAS and QMUL the only one which I would appear to have a chance at is QMUL and the area appears to be terrible so I wouldn't really be happy there. (I am going to visit but it will probably be after I have sent my application off)
    UoL Federal Open Day on 12th/13th September perchance?

(Original post by Stick Man)
    UoL Federal Open Day on 12th/13th September perchance?

I cant go to that one as it is during the week. It's Queen Marys Campus Visit I plan on going to.

ReputationRep:
    I need to see my uni. I think i'll just go down one day and see if they'll let me look around.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 17, 2007

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.