Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FWoodhouse)
    Heh, I've now got the workbook. And what a thrilling tome it is! Full of much formulaic debauchery and general mathematical misdemeanours, 'tis true.

.. or not.
    Well ... the question that goes something like 'estimate the number of bits of paper you would need to tear in half and pile the halves on each other in a stack that would reach from Earth to the moon'? ^o)

ReputationRep:
    My workbook just arrived.

Did anyone else also get an example sheet of harder questions with instructions to do them as fully as they can and they will be gone over?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sculler)
    My workbook just arrived.

Did anyone else also get an example sheet of harder questions with instructions to do them as fully as they can and they will be gone over?
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    me neither :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have. :p:

Only joking; I haven't received such a sheet. I suspect Emmanuel are trying to return to the top of the Tompkins Table.

If you want a different set of sheets to do, you could take a look at those here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatuous_philomath)
    I have. :p:

Only joking; I haven't received such a sheet. I suspect Emmanuel are trying to return to the top of the Tompkins Table.

If you want a different set of sheets to do, you could take a look at those here.
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Oxford!!! You turncoat!

:p:

ReputationRep:
    lol - they're not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    lol - they're not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Aparently I'm off to 'Geek week'. Oh well, I'm going to have to tell my manager that I'm not going to work that last Saturday which I promised them I would.

Oh well .

ReputationRep:
    What a shame.

Only one month left for the rest of us non-Geek Weekers.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... Geek Week could be fun.... really. Ahem.

Also- can anyone else not be bothered to do any work at the minute? Or would that just be me...? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    By work, do you mean Mathematics? I haven't done any yet today (unless you count writing a couple of matrices in LaTeX as Mathematics).

Unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula. Error 5: Image dimensions are out of bounds: 1051x73
    \left[ \begin{array} {l c r}x_{11}\, & \, x_{12}\, & \,x_{13} \\x_{21} & x_{22} & x_{23} \\x_{31} & x_{32} & x_{33} \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array} {l c r}y_{11}\, & \,y_{12}\, & \,y_{13} \\y_{21} & y_{22} & y_{23} \\y_{31} & y_{32} & y_{33} \end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array} {l c r}x_{11}y_{11}+ x_{12}y_{21}+x_{13}y_{31}\; & \;x_{11}y_{12}+ x_{12}y_{22}+x_{13}y_{32}\; & \;x_{11}y_{13}+ x_{12}y_{23}+x_{13}y_{33} \\x_{21}y_{11}+ x_{22}y_{21}+x_{23}y_{31} & x_{21}y_{12}+ x_{22}y_{22}+x_{23}y_{32} & x_{21}y_{13}+ x_{22}y_{23}+x_{23}y_{33} \\x_{31}y_{11}+ x_{32}y_{21}+x_{33}y_{31} & x_{31}y_{12}+ x_{32}y_{22}+x_{33}y_{32} & x_{31}y_{13}+ x_{32}y_{23}+x_{33}y_{33}\end{ar ray}\right]

Mmm.. matrices (even if it's a ***** writing them in TSR).

Anyway, it looks like a wonderful day outside, so I'm going out cycling for a while, and sadly it's difficult to do Maths while on a bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bingo Jesus)
    Aparently I'm off to 'Geek week'. Oh well, I'm going to have to tell my manager that I'm not going to work that last Saturday which I promised them I would.

Oh well .
    You get to go early? No fair! Now I officially have no friends in the last week of september!

ReputationRep:
    By work, do you mean Mathematics? I haven't done any yet today (unless you count writing a couple of matrices in LaTeX as Mathematics)
    Yep that counts! I have done no maths in 2months and it's starting to show.... oops!

ReputationRep:
    By work, do you mean Mathematics? I haven't done any yet today (unless you count writing a couple of matrices in LaTeX as Mathematics)
    Yep that counts! I have done no maths in 2months and it's starting to show.... oops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathschick)
    There are some nice, easy questions for you to get started on here.

ReputationRep:
    There are some nice, easy questions for you to get started on here.
    Dude, you're kidding, right? Those are easier than the workbook, give us something with a bit of substance!

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FWoodhouse)
    Dude, you're kidding, right? Those are easier than the workbook, give us something with a bit of substance!

:rolleyes:
    Yeah, sorry - I was taking the piss with those questions. I hoped nobody would catch me out, but you're too quick.

To make it up to you, I've found some exceedingly difficult questions here, if you really want to test yourself. Don't get disappointed if you can't do them though - I suspect most Maths PhDs would have trouble solving even one of them.

ReputationRep:
    It is now 5 days until geek week for those going on it :p: ....and 7 days until I go O_O

Errrrm....can I have reassurance that some people have not done any of the workbook? And also reassuance that I won't be the only one who might need some time to get back up to speed....ahhh!

ReputationRep:
    11 days 'til I go up. Bloody geek week people. Cursèd Trinity.

Workbook? What workbook? Oh, that... yeah, haven't done any of it. I took a look through it, though, does that count?

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.