Turn on thread page Beta

And perhaps less amusingly, this:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Hey, have you seen the famous Keble digital jiggerypockery?
    That did make me laugh momentarily And I haven't even experienced these fabled vectors and matrices yet. (Nor do I look forward to them)

I got my freshers pack today, finally, and theres loads of stuff about the oxford union. Do physicists have the free time for that kind of stuff, or is it mainly arts students? I'm tempted by the £1 beer and arguments but I also prefer to associate with my own scientific kind generally. Are any of you chaps members?

Yes...je suis member de Union. The main thing for me has been the ability to go to their termly balls, which have been pretty good. Oh, and play on their snooker tables, which are pretty crap. I must admit I haven't got off my arse to go to a debate or see a speaker, but not because I haven't had time, but because I'm very lazy. Life membership is probably worth it. I may come to appreciate it soon (hopefully within the next two years...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    Yes...je suis member de Union. The main thing for me has been the ability to go to their termly balls, which have been pretty good. Oh, and play on their snooker tables, which are pretty crap. I must admit I haven't got off my arse to go to a debate or see a speaker, but not because I haven't had time, but because I'm very lazy. Life membership is probably worth it. I may come to appreciate it soon (hopefully within the next two years...)
    Ah yes balls, I'd forgotten about those. That tips the balance in its favour I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a member of the Union and have been to 2 balls and they are pretty good evenings and definitely worth the money (although I only bought a ticket to one of them, the other was free!). You'll definitely have time for the Union if you want to - lots of physicists have extra curricular activities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    Blast from the past there, much like this:
    Was it you that sent that to all us at Keble?

(Original post by The Strangest Quark)
    That did make me laugh momentarily And I haven't even experienced these fabled vectors and matrices yet. (Nor do I look forward to them)

I got my freshers pack today, finally, and theres loads of stuff about the oxford union. Do physicists have the free time for that kind of stuff, or is it mainly arts students? I'm tempted by the £1 beer and arguments but I also prefer to associate with my own scientific kind generally. Are any of you chaps members?
    Well you'll be pleased to know Jaksch has been kicked off it anyway. He's not lecturing it anymore.

As for the union, I personally have never bothered. I thought it was a little pricey but then I have always been a cheapskate. I remember someone who did medicine there told me it was only worth doing if you wanted to be a polotician or enjoyed debating. Saying that, he went to Oxford many years ago so its probably changed since then. It's really up to you and whether you think you will use it. It's certainly not a necessity.

(Original post by hoofbeat)
    lots of physicists have extra curricular activities.
    I like the use of the adjective "lots" there, implying that many do not :p: :rofl:

Was it you that sent that to all us at Keble?
    Hehe, I believe it was. I seem to remember Dieter has/had a webpage with a list of all your names on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    Hehe, I believe it was. I seem to remember Dieter has/had a webpage with a list of all your names on!
    It's funny how people from TSR seem to almost pervade real life. Although in fact you are I think the only 3rd year physicist that I can't identify by face. We need to say hi sometime. :cool:

And he still has that page. Must be a stalkers paradise.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how people from TSR seem to almost pervade real life. Although in fact you are I think the only 3rd year physicist that I can't identify by face. We need to say hi sometime. :cool:

And he still has that page. Must be a stalkers paradise.
    I'll point Andy out to you Stu. This year he sat on the left at the back with the other Hertford physicists.

ReputationRep:
    i have a legitimate physics question (this is my first i think).

that suggested vacation work, i've done about half (i.e. the first 4/8 sides).

none of it has been difficult in anyway, but what i'm wondering is this: for the topics i have NO experience with, (i.e. vectors where i just have the very basics) will there be any lectures covering stuff like that, or do i have to do that pack of questions, as the basic math reqs. of the course as in, will i get any teaching for vectors or complex numbers or hyperbolic functions etc.

ReputationRep:
    hey fellow phycists! i've been a little/lots of worried myself about the homework as there are some stuff i havent been taught such as the more complex complex numbers.. btw id like to know hows a phycists average day like... thnks

Short answer is: don't worry too much you guys!

Most of the maths is covered in lectures. I take it you haven't done further maths: you might want to get in touch with your tutor to organise a bit more maths tuition in the first term.

I'd recommend brushing up on complex numbers a bit before you start the lecture course on it though, just so that you're not completely confused! At the very least, just get familiar with the terminology like modulus, argument, imaginary, real etc. so that you'll understand what the lecturer is on about!

Erm...other things like vectors and matrices you will be taught. However, as with complex numbers, I'd recommend at least finding out what a matrix is and some of the terminology associated with it before you start term!

So yeah, a day or two of getting familiar with the new stuff wouldn't do any harm. But as it happens, you'll have plenty of time to learn what you need to know anyway, so don't sweat it!

An average day? I'll outline an average week I remember from the 1st year:
    - Mon-Wed: lectures pretty much every day 9-12
    - Thu & Fri: lecture at 9, then practicals on ONE of these days (which day depends on your college)
    - Two 1-hour tutes a week, usually in the afternoons, and maybe an extra class somewhere now and again

And that's basically it. It's pretty relaxed in the 1st year. And the lectures are not compulsory, so it's not big deal really if you don't turn up for whatever reason. Most people find lectures useful and try to go, but there are a few who never go to any lectures!

ReputationRep:
    Since Andy answered your questions on the maths (I agree with him - everything will be covered in lectures, but get a feel for the topics before hand if you can - thats what I did coming from a non-FM background. Anyways, on to your other question:

(Original post by noctur)
    btw id like to know hows a phycists average day like... thnks
    Lectures in morning 9-12 or so (except lab days)
    Usually a tutorial at some point during the afternoon (but depends on how many tutes you have a week)
    Rest of afternoon is spent doing some tute work/going over lecture notes etc. Depending on amount of work and how much time I've wasted during the afternoon, a bit of work in evening after dinner. Otherwise chilling in JCR/Bar.

ReputationRep:
    hey fellow phycists! i've been a little/lots of worried myself about the homework as there are some stuff i havent been taught such as the more complex complex numbers.. btw id like to know hows a phycists average day like... thnks
    Hello there!
    What college are you at?
    Have you been given this? http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/users/ro...y2006/FLAP.mht it is quite useful, although sometimes it is hard to find what you are looking for. I've also been having difficulty with the questions, mainly because I've forgotten a lot over the summer, seems everyone gets stuck on a few of them.

ReputationRep:
    thanks ! i think! now ive got sum xta work to do! woho!?
    no i havent actually. i was just sent recently ten pages of maths to do and three pgs of physics and as im leaving the country ( me coming from cyprus ) in a few days im a bit swamped! we cant get the answers from anywhere can we?

blahh ive "taught" myself the FP3 book briefly so hopefully that will help. and sum mechanics as well..

btw im anna, ill be at mansfield college! you?
    hav they sent u anything else as well?

Answers will gladly be provided on TSR...go to Academic Help > Physics if you have any questions you're struggling with.

ReputationRep:
    thanks ! i think! now ive got sum xta work to do! woho!?
    no i havent actually. i was just sent recently ten pages of maths to do and three pgs of physics and as im leaving the country ( me coming from cyprus ) in a few days im a bit swamped! we cant get the answers from anywhere can we?

blahh ive "taught" myself the FP3 book briefly so hopefully that will help. and sum mechanics as well..

btw im anna, ill be at mansfield college! you?
    hav they sent u anything else as well?
    I'm at Wadham, my real name is Rachael. It's nice to find another girl doing physics this year . The last thing I got sent was the freshers pack, nothing else from the physics department since the original letter with the vaction work and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    thnks again for your help! yeah i know wot you mean Racheal , not many females going around in this dept! which can be nice sumtimes!

ReputationRep:
    thnks again for your help! yeah i know wot you mean Racheal , not many females going around in this dept! which can be nice sumtimes!
    Yay! Two female freshers! I'm Chloé, a 3rd year Physicist

Anna if you have any questions specifically about Physics at Mansfield, K'uin K'ra on here is Phil, a 3rd year physicist at Mansfield.

ReputationRep:
    I should point out to those of you doing the vacation work, that you may have to hand it in at the end of 0th week, so the contents on it won't have been taught to you by then. Saying that, they won't expect you to have successfully completed all of it, especially if you didn't do FM. Complex numbers is one of the first things you do so you will soon be up to speed, even if it does initially feel like you are climbing up a mountain relative to others who've done it already. Don't panic... by the end of the term/ year you'll all be up to the same level

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.