Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Iris - aww thats sweet! I took German cos I wanted to take a language and I found it easier than French. I actually love Germany - I find it a beautiful country and the people are lovely (if a bit weird! but weirdness is good!). I went to Koblenz for work experience and we were in a pub and it took us ages to make the woman understand that we only wanted ten beers! It was so funny - she couldn't understand our accents!
    Plus I think a language looks better on your CV. Definately start up German again! You can impress your boyfriend!
    Jo - I was going to go to Boswells cos all my friends were going there (went to Bishops Primary school) - but I was outside the catchment area! Start up German again - its quality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliephant)
    Iris - aww thats sweet! I took German cos I wanted to take a language and I found it easier than French. I actually love Germany - I find it a beautiful country and the people are lovely (if a bit weird! but weirdness is good!). I went to Koblenz for work experience and we were in a pub and it took us ages to make the woman understand that we only wanted ten beers! It was so funny - she couldn't understand our accents!
    Plus I think a language looks better on your CV. Definately start up German again! You can impress your boyfriend!
    Jo - I was going to go to Boswells cos all my friends were going there (went to Bishops Primary school) - but I was outside the catchment area! Start up German again - its quality!

I went to bishops! Hmm i really probably know you lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    We should take German together Jo! Btw we should exchange mobile nums so we can meet up at Notts How art thou anyway?
    Heya, i am very tempted to take german actually. It might prove useful in the long term alongside law.

Im very well thanx, tho i keep getting colds Im off to Ibiza tomorrow tho, soooo excited and hopefully it will get rid of my cold!
    How are you? When you going back up to notts?

Ill PM you my mobile number!

Luv Jo xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliephant)
    Lol well if we do work out, he's expected to learn Cantonese I'm gonna assume while Cantonese isn't a difficult language in itself, he's gonna have a harder time learning Canto than I will learning German even if he is a bit of a genius when it comes to languages :rolleyes: Simply cus Canto's grammar is about as easy as can be, and he wouldn't need to bother with written Chinese, so learning the language itself would be no problem - it's just speaking it lol as it's tonal and half the sounds don't occur in English or German :p: It simply means a slight mispronunciation would cause you to say "dead" instead of "4" or "bring" instead of "zero" - and a variety of other things hehe. And then there're a variety of sounds that have no words you just add to the end to mean something as appropriate to the context lol.

Lol how are Germans weird? I've only come in contact with bf's family so far so couldn't say - although most of them do possess an incredibly high level of English and it's really scary! Plus his entire family is like really really smart so now I'm under the impression that Germans are exceptionally smart, although I think IQ shows the average German to be either very or the most intelligent out of the Europeans. The country *is* gorgeous isn't it? I was in Oldenburg and my goodness the countrysides! And the people are so very very friendly!

Oh yeh German would be brilliant to put onto my CV. I'm really tempted to take up Mandarin as well. Trouble is, I have no interest in Mandarin whatsoever but Cantonese isn't really very useful and Mandarin could help with my recap on writing, which I wanna do. The idea of being quartralingual does appeal to me

Doubt I'll be able to impress my bf with German lol! He'll definitely appreciate my efforts, but the likelihood is there'll either be so many grammatical flaws that it'll be rather painful to a native, or else incomprehensable, or I'll realise what I know is so basic that it's not worth celebrating over

And yeh accent is a huge thing. My intonations are all wrong - I speak German as if I was speaking English and it becomes incomprehensable to my bf. One time he couldn't understand what I was saying and all I was saying was Abitur but I'd put the stress in the wrong place. Meh.

I think I will pick up German again - it's basically a definite unless something drastic changes, or it clashes with my timetable. I don't know if I should take up Mandarin though... What do you think? You should teach me German!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey12)
    Heya, i am very tempted to take german actually. It might prove useful in the long term alongside law.

Im very well thanx, tho i keep getting colds Im off to Ibiza tomorrow tho, soooo excited and hopefully it will get rid of my cold!
    How are you? When you going back up to notts?

Ill PM you my mobile number!

Luv Jo xxx
    Yay take up German with me! Yeh a language would go pretty well with Law - you planning on working in Germany or something?

Ibiza? One of my housemates is going to Ibiza too for hol soon. Don't know whereabouts in Ibiza though. Where is Ibiza anyway? :o:D

I'm good thanx - not done much and really need to read my Art History books lol! I bought 8 DVDs for £45 today - Virgin's doing a sale and I think I've taken to collecting DVDs nooooooooooooooo!!! I don't even watch them! Argh! Meh I bought Mona Lisa Smile cus I find its message about feminism interesting, American Dreamz cus I liked the satire and how its portrayal of society is so true, Seven cus I heard it's brilliant and a very clever murder movie, Serenity cus I just liked it lol, Closer cus there's so much about relationships and so many layers, the LOTR trilogy normal versions. Argh! And now I wanna buy Interview with the Vampire too cus its contradictions in human nature and relationships are so interesting! Stop me!!!! I don't even watch DVDs on my own!

I'm going back on Sun 17th When are you going back? We should definitely meet up when we're at Notts! Yeh PM me your number cus I won't have the net set up til like 27th or some time, so won't have access for some time so emails won't be the best forms of contact! Doubtless that's the case with you and many others too really.

ReputationRep:
    hello guys...im going to notts at september...doing communication engineering...

nice to meet you all at here...

but until today i still havent receive the accommodation confirmation...does anyone same situation like me?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, my name is Lucinda and I'm 18 and from Croydon in south London. I'm coming to Nottingham to do Geography and I'm going to be in Cripps Hall. Nice to meet everyone here.

ReputationRep:
    Sounded like you were on Bruce's Price is right!

"My names Lucinda and Im from Croydon!!!!!!!" in a suitably cheesy manner.

welcome aboard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkyseaweed)
    Hi everyone, my name is Lucinda and I'm 18 and from Croydon in south London. I'm coming to Nottingham to do Geography and I'm going to be in Cripps Hall. Nice to meet everyone here.
    another geographer

ReputationRep:
    colour-inner is the technically correct term

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks. Yeah sorry, I never quite know how to introduce myself without sounding excessively cheesy.

MySpace: www.myspace.com/lrjlo if anyone wants to add me by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis-HuStuJCR)
    colour-inner is the technically correct term
    Oi :p:!

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing german and russian (beginners) am still trying to figure out why achilly... lol... do any of you happen to know/be someone stoopid enough to choose that course too?

ooh, and in willoughby hall...

la k xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Geography!! See you all there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empempom)
    I'm doing Geography!! See you all there!
    Woo another geographer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiplexed)
    Yeah, t'was amazing. Only spent a few days there though, have family there so visit every two years for a week or so.
    i lived in dubai for 5 years. but lived in UAE for about 13. at the mo its just one bit constuction site... the roads. buildings. beach. its all gone bonkers lol.

ReputationRep:
    argh it posted it twice lol

ReputationRep:
    Hellooooo, im Michelle and Im coming to Notts to study BA Archaeology. I've not seen/heard of anyone else on here that seems to be doing the same, is there anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgls)
    Hellooooo, im Michelle and Im coming to Notts to study BA Archaeology. I've not seen/heard of anyone else on here that seems to be doing the same, is there anyone?

I'm not but my mate is, as there's only 26 of you I'm sure you will meet him at some point. Erm, not sure there was much point in me telling you that as he's not on TSR but there you go lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfjeld)
    i'm doing german and russian (beginners) am still trying to figure out why achilly... lol... do any of you happen to know/be someone stoopid enough to choose that course too?

ooh, and in willoughby hall...

la k xx
    Well I'm hoping to take up beginnger's German as a subsid if that counts :p: Doing Art History as my actual degree

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 13, 2006
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.