Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    nope, you get a proper shower basin in penny c. only in holland, nash grove and maybe the new birks do you get the wet room x

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to add another question but I wanted to check, Penny C rooms have double beds, right?

ReputationRep:
    And to follow on from the post above.....what about Birks Grange?? I read somewhere that that has double beds too - doesn't say anything in my accommodation pack about bed size??? Just that the hill up to campus is particularly steep! And I'm soooooooooo unfit!!

ReputationRep:
    ha ha woah the questions are really coming, yes penny c does have double beds - v.comfy.

um as for the new birks i genuinely don't have a clue, but im assuming it will have double beds seeing as its new and all. and don't worry about the hill - you do get used to it (or so im told!) - only done it once and was far too drunk to remember it, so im no help here. but people do make it to lectures - and they're not fit to collapse at the top of it...x

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Sorry to randomly come into the discussion - I've been keeping up by reading your posts! Just got my accommodation through as single en suite in Holland - has anyone else got this? I'm a bit worried after reading the negative comments bout it tho - penny c looks brilliant and social too - just hoping holland isn't as anti-social as I've heard I also live in utter fear of the sloans!:eek:

I'm studying English and German - hopefully that means I'll get to meet some of you guys! I'm really looking forward to meeting the english ppl, you seem really nice!

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomIBEng&Ger)
    Hey everyone!

Sorry to randomly come into the discussion - I've been keeping up by reading your posts! Just got my accommodation through as single en suite in Holland - has anyone else got this? I'm a bit worried after reading the negative comments bout it tho - penny c looks brilliant and social too - just hoping holland isn't as anti-social as I've heard I also live in utter fear of the sloans!:eek:

I'm studying English and German - hopefully that means I'll get to meet some of you guys! I'm really looking forward to meeting the english ppl, you seem really nice!

Tom
    English people ARE nice

I don't think you'll have a problem with Holland. I think if you're a social person and make the effort, then there won't be a problem at all. It's got a bad rep but if you think about it it's the people that make the hall, so if you make an effort it'll be good. (God I sound cheesy).

ReputationRep:
    English people are ALWAYS nice! And I know several great people who are going into Holland this year, so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, why the fear of sloanes? The only difference between you and them is that they take themselves waaaay too seriously - their life ambition is to have their photo in Tatler - if you just see past that and the plummy voices, they're perfectly nice, normal people!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reassurance! I'm really looking forward to moving in - just need to come, knock on a few doors and say hi. Can't believe we're only 3 weeks away from starting university!

"Also, why the fear of sloanes? The only difference between you and them is that they take themselves waaaay too seriously - their life ambition is to have their photo in Tatler - if you just see past that and the plummy voices, they're perfectly nice, normal people!"

Thanks for clearing this one up too! I think I just associated the word sloane with a really high-brow, exclusive bunch who make everyone else feel underneath them! I have absolutely no problem with plummy-voiced nice people :-)

Has anyone started their reading list yet?? I've really procrastinated with mine - they didn't really send it very early though, so I'm thinking maybe they don't expect miracles!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and you can always come over to Penny C and say hi to us :p:

Argh reading list - it's so long! I should be reading The Odyssey, like, now but I'm on here. I'm going to go as soon as I've posted this reply

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reassurance! I'm really looking forward to moving in - just need to come, knock on a few doors and say hi. Can't believe we're only 3 weeks away from starting university!

"Also, why the fear of sloanes? The only difference between you and them is that they take themselves waaaay too seriously - their life ambition is to have their photo in Tatler - if you just see past that and the plummy voices, they're perfectly nice, normal people!"

Thanks for clearing this one up too! I think I just associated the word sloane with a really high-brow, exclusive bunch who make everyone else feel underneath them! I have absolutely no problem with plummy-voiced nice people :-)

Has anyone started their reading list yet?? I've really procrastinated with mine - they didn't really send it very early though, so I'm thinking maybe they don't expect miracles!!
    Lol... no problem. Inevitably, you will get the occasional snotty nosed Prince Harry look/soundalike, but just ignore them, or even better, point and laugh. I went to a so-called 'sloaney' school, and you learn pretty quickly just to avoid all the daddy's little princesses, who are in a serious minority anyway!

I've made an attempt at the reading list - I've done the first chapter of one book and the bible extract, but that's about it! On the letter though, it just said that you should at least have read the first one, so I don't think you're expected to know them all inside out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariadne)
    Lol... no problem. Inevitably, you will get the occasional snotty nosed Prince Harry look/soundalike, but just ignore them, or even better, point and laugh. I went to a so-called 'sloaney' school, and you learn pretty quickly just to avoid all the daddy's little princesses, who are in a serious minority anyway!

I've made an attempt at the reading list - I've done the first chapter of one book and the bible extract, but that's about it! On the letter though, it just said that you should at least have read the first one, so I don't think you're expected to know them all inside out.
    What bible extract was that?!

I feel really worried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercat)
    Yeah and you can always come over to Penny C and say hi to us :p:

Argh reading list - it's so long! I should be reading The Odyssey, like, now but I'm on here. I'm going to go as soon as I've posted this reply
    Have you read the book of Genesis?!

ReputationRep:
    Erm, not all of it. Like two chapters or something I feel like I've got ages, I know I haven't. Don't worry though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chester)
    Have you read the book of Genesis?!
    That's the bible extract I meant - I just printed it off the internet, and it took me 1/2 hour to read. Have you read the photocopied bit out of Terry Eagleton that came with the pack? I keep trying to start, but it's soooo dull!

ReputationRep:
    Am i the only one still waiting on a contract?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm Spartacus)
    Am i the only one still waiting on a contract?
    No, my friend is still waiting for hers. She sent her's off immediately and put single en suite in holland, penny c and birks as her three choices. You're not alone, don't worry. She phoned and accommodation told her the last ones should be received by the end of the week, but i don't know if that was a guarantee. Can't imagine the postal strike is helping things either. Sit tight - you should get it next week, but I would phone them if you're worried - it can't hurt

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Tom
    I was in Holland last year and I'm not a sloane in the slightest! The rooms are amazing, and you're right on campus. There were a small group of people in Holland who gave it it's reputation, but to be honest they're all nice people: they just think a bit too much of themselves. They are a minority though, out of 400 people they probably made up 5-10%. Most people are really nice, and I've made loads of lovely friends from living there. So don't worry! Also, the food is really not that bad. I consider myself a fairly fussy eater and I went hungry maybe twice?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_flo)
    I was in Holland last year and I'm not a sloane in the slightest! The rooms are amazing, and you're right on campus. There were a small group of people in Holland who gave it it's reputation, but to be honest they're all nice people: they just think a bit too much of themselves. They are a minority though, out of 400 people they probably made up 5-10%. Most people are really nice, and I've made loads of lovely friends from living there. So don't worry! Also, the food is really not that bad. I consider myself a fairly fussy eater and I went hungry maybe twice?!
    Thanks angel - that's really made me feel a lot better about Holland! I'm sure I'll have a great first year! I can't wait to move in, it'll be such a big change for everyone to move away from home that it should be quite easy to strike up conversations! We'll all be in the same boat after all

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting on mine, I just rang up in the hope that my application was only delayed by the post strike, but apparently it still hasn't been sorted. They said it should be sorted by wednesday.

The hope of getting into my first choice has faded away now

ReputationRep:
    Rang last night as im impatient and they said it should be with me by Friday and nothing arrived. Really really hope i get into Nash Grove so mi getting very nervous now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 20, 2006
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.