anyone for Lampeter? Watch

Catsmeat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow...Velvet Underground. Nice.

I still haven't got my accomodation form. So i'll let you know when I do.

And I also got showed around by someone from University Challenge. Madness.
notts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i go to edinburgh for a weekend and the board explodes! this time last year i was THE ONLY PERSON on TSR going to Lampeter...

so much to reply to, this is gonna be a long message.
also, i hope you guys realise you are all going to be my freshers minions.

Thomas, im from West Bridgford.

about bikes: there are places to chain them outside the library and also probably can store them in your halls.

about crime: its so safe, i left my house door and front door open all year. although it did lead to the local dvd shop owner actually letting himself into the house when i was having a nap to get his overdue DVD back. we play a game where we try to open car doors on the way back from the pub. a fair few are just left open

about accomodation: Dawson is horrendous, and (i think) JR too. they are not one of the nice glass fronted ones. they are live-able, but easily the worst halls on campus. unlucky :/ im not quite sure as didnt live on campus last year, so maybe john richards will be a nice one, but im 100% sure dawson isnt.
Lloyd tom is fairly nice, but when i stayed in there for first 2 weeks, people complained about us making noise. we were watching the clangers. it was 11.15 at night. during freshers week.

about tsr drink: yep, sounds good.

about badminton and tennis and sports in general: the tennis nets get taken down for winter, infact i think they are down when we go back. there was no badminton club last year as the old chairman got fed up of organising, so im going to re-start one this year. squash tends to be the game of choice for most people (me included) because you dont need any equipment, just book a time for the room and go in.
the hockey team is full of really cool guys, and most of the team didnt play before getting to Uni, so if you want to meet some people, make another good friendship group, get routinely embarassed by the opposition with heavy defeats, and get ordered around by me (vice captain) you should sign up. not that im trying to pressure anyone or anything... (we really do need about 4-5 freshers though so...)

about velvet undergound: yep, its the only british venue they ever played. the third of Lampeters claims to fame behind 1) 3rd oldest uni and 2) smallest uni in Europe

about excitement: im going back in 12 days. WOOOOH.

sorry if that's too long!
Explosions
Report 12 years ago
Wecome back finlay.

I grew up in Sherwood, then moved to New Basford later on.

What would be the best en suite halls to end up in? Who tends to be allocated to en suite? No one here seems to have been given one yet!

I'll definately be up for joining/helping with a badminton club. I quite like squash too. I might even attempt to join in on the hockey, although I've not played since I was about 14.

Thomas.
Catsmeat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its all about cricket to be honest.

And 'freshers-minions'?...honestly, I do not like the sound if that.
Explosions
Report 12 years ago
I've also not played cricket since I was a kid. Anyone for rounders?
Catsmeat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I guess thats a happy medium.
beephee
Report 12 years ago
interesting... im in dawson too. seriously? horrendous? how so? i mean i think i can cope without a glass front ...are we talking rats here?

[QUOTE=Ixthus]I think the thing I didn't like about them was the vinyl floor, it was just so un-homely.
QUOTE]

may i recommend a rug? it serves a double purpose of catching all the rubbish that falls on the floor and adds a personal touch :yy: hi im phoebe by the way. i think our halls will be what we make of them. i probably shouldnt admit to being such a loser but one of the things im looking forward to is decorating my room! the room itself is just a space. having said that im pretty chuffed about being such easy rolling distance from the union!

great idea about meeting up for a drink.
notts
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Explosions)
Wecome back finlay.

I grew up in Sherwood, then moved to New Basford later on.

What would be the best en suite halls to end up in? Who tends to be allocated to en suite? No one here seems to have been given one yet!

I'll definately be up for joining/helping with a badminton club. I quite like squash too. I might even attempt to join in on the hockey, although I've not played since I was about 14.

Thomas.
lloyd tom is the nicest halls imo, but a little isolated and tends to be for 2/3rd years.
harford is ok, but the rooms get hideously hot and the ensuites are really small.
the glass fronted halls are the best imo, but there are only 3/4 of them. again, its probably mostly 2/3rd years (my gf has a corridor in one of these).
i think they expect first years to slum it in some of the rubbish halls for the first year. but most people have fond memories of their first year halls.
i had a pretty sweet food fight involving eggs, flower and stealth ketchup use (all the better that is wasnt in my halls...)
most of the ensuite is quiet halls, and you dont really want to be in quiet halls imo.

as i said, i didnt have any accomodation last year, so its better than that!

i need 10 signatures to get the club ratified, so you can do that for me i guess! i will talk to kit (sports officer) when i get back and sort it out.

well im not going to force ppl, but i want to get as many people to at least come to a few training sessions to see if they like it.

rounders and cricket were both played on the field/hockey pitch last year in 3rd term. (3rd term rules)

the uni doesnt have a cricket team but this guy called Rodney who works for the University occasionaly plays hockey for us has one outside of the uni, and some of the hockey team occasionaly play games for his team when needed.

owen, i was a freshers minion for some 3rd years last year (all left now ) its a pretty good role if you ask me. heck, if i like you enough you could end up drinking beer at my house till the early hours like i did with the guys who adopted me last year. lol
one of the thid years was on the interview panel for the bar job, and is probably a fairly big reason why i got the job.

im pretty good friends with the Student union president as well as being a bar man and on hockey team..
im pretty well connected, being my minion would definitely give you an immediate street-cred boost. :rolleyes:
notts
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=beephee]interesting... im in dawson too. seriously? horrendous? how so? i mean i think i can cope without a glass front ...are we talking rats here?

its just pretty soulless. all brown doors, the corridors are uber thin, and the walls are just white painted cinder blocks. the kitchens are pretty small. no carpets in the corridor. a lot of the beds are broken. the walls and ceilings are rubbish, so you get um... disturbed by people who have gf's/bf's, and by anyone who is a night owl, of which there will undoubtedly be a few. my first GF turned nocturnal cos the boys above her used to stomp about and play loud music at 3 in the morning most nights. etc
i wouldnt be surprised at rats either tbh...

[QUOTE=Ixthus]I think the thing I didn't like about them was the vinyl floor, it was just so un-homely.

may i recommend a rug? it serves a double purpose of catching all the rubbish that falls on the floor and adds a personal touch :yy: hi im phoebe by the way. i think our halls will be what we make of them. i probably shouldnt admit to being such a loser but one of the things im looking forward to is decorating my room! the room itself is just a space. having said that im pretty chuffed about being such easy rolling distance from the union!

great idea about meeting up for a drink.
decorating how? at best, you will be able to add some furniture and some posters.

having said all that, it will still be ok.
beephee
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=notts
decorating how? at best, you will be able to add some furniture and some posters.[/QUOTE]

ah, but thats because you are a man and have no imagination.

just teasing! im not trying to start a war. but seriously, its amazing what you can do. i should be taking an interior design course really. chinese??? what was i thinking?!
Explosions
Report 12 years ago
Hello Phoebe.

I doubt Dawson is that bad. I reckon the people around you are more important than the decor. I rarely notice the lack of carpets and the state of the wallpaper once I've had a few drinks!

Is everyone on this thread turning up on the friday then? Apart from you of course Finlay. You're going earlier than the rest of us arn't you? Ya lucky sod!
beephee
Report 12 years ago
cool. definitely, its all about the people. but thats sort of what i mean. itl be what we make it, im not worried about crappy wallpaper, a certain amount of scum about the place is reassuring. i just enjoy making things look nice.

yeah think so. i am.

ps. finlay, you were supposed to say ''rats? no no. they dont have rats in wales.''
hmm, anyone know any death free ways of removing rodents?
Ixthus
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=notts][QUOTE=beephee]interesting... im in dawson too. seriously? horrendous? how so? i mean i think i can cope without a glass front ...are we talking rats here?

its just pretty soulless. all brown doors, the corridors are uber thin, and the walls are just white painted cinder blocks. the kitchens are pretty small. no carpets in the corridor. a lot of the beds are broken. the walls and ceilings are rubbish, so you get um... disturbed by people who have gf's/bf's, and by anyone who is a night owl, of which there will undoubtedly be a few. my first GF turned nocturnal cos the boys above her used to stomp about and play loud music at 3 in the morning most nights. etc
i wouldnt be surprised at rats either tbh...

(Original post by Ixthus)
I think the thing I didn't like about them was the vinyl floor, it was just so un-homely.

decorating how? at best, you will be able to add some furniture and some posters.

having said all that, it will still be ok.

As soon as I got to the uni for the open day and saw the vinyl floors I thought "I'm going to buy a rug!".

The painted cinderblocks are pretty dire, but, that is what posters are for. I'm sure we won't just contain ourselves in our rooms.

I see that you get a paper tablecloth on your desk when you move in. What I saw some people do is to take the table cloth and pin it to the wall. It almost looks like wallpaper, adds colour and gives a nice background for a memo board.

One thing about the bed.
I have bought a new duvet and pillows. I am not sure if they are provided by the uni. Should I bring them or should I leave it or should I be a snob and use my own anyway

I still haven't got my "pack", so I don't have a booklist or anything
beephee
Report 12 years ago
they dont provide bed linen...or toilet paper (they were quite emphatic about that). it tells you in the pack you dont have. youl also need kitchen equipment (cutlery, crockery, kettle etc) if your in self-catered.
i dont have a booklist either, infact i havent heard from my departments at all. is that normal?
Explosions
Report 12 years ago
I've got another question. Apparently there can be up to 8 people sharing a kitchen? That seems like too many for one kitchen. But also, does that mean that 8 people have to share one toilet and one shower? :confused:

(I've heard nothing from my department either)
beephee
Report 12 years ago
that sounds like my sisters uni. as long as the kitchen isnt a cardboard box in desguise it makes a great communal area. as for bathrooms, other unis have about 3 toilets and 3 showers for a block that size. however having never been to lampeter myself i dont know for sure.
beephee
Report 12 years ago
come to think of it, most of my friends shared a kitchen with something like 15 people last year.
Explosions
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, having a communal area is a bonus.

So far we've got:

Phoebe: Dawson
Ceri: Dawson
Jo: Richards
Thomas: Richards
Owen: Richards
Chris: Unknown
Finlay: Not on campus
notts
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
phoebe, last year i painted the room i ended up staying in. it was pink and flowery, and i made it green and blue. very nice.

yeh, the people you live with are most important.

going up on the 26th. but 2 of my housemates wont be moved in then and my gf doesnt go back till 29th, so might be kinda lonely.

i thought our kitchen last year got infested by rats, there was gnaw markings on some plastic bags we had left out. but we had just accidentally burned them with a frying pan.

what? the halls do have toilet paper, because i remember stealing it from the halls to go in our house.

there are 2 showers and toilets i think. not sure.

i dont have a reading list either, i dont even know what modules im doing. the head of department of classics resigned so we dont know if we have a greek historical expert.. we dont know what modules are available or anything. pretty shoddy. not having a reading list makes it hard to keep up during the year.

also, i'd suggest NOT doing any theology modules as outside modules. the administrator is HIGHLY preferential to theology/religious studies students, and some of the lecturers are complete idiots.
one guy gave me 3 different dates for coursework submission, i then asked him, he told me one date, i handed it in then and was penalised 10% for it being 2 days late.

morons.

lampeter is kinda shoddily organised...
beephee
Report 12 years ago
...but you love it really?

hee hee, thats probably why they've stopped providing it! i guess we'll have to steal it from the union instead
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (90)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (181)
40.22%
Nope, not that interesting (179)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed