Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    I don't get all this bull****. Seriously, why is telling a girl you like them a bad move if they like you back O.o

Because in a friendship that's hardly ever the case. Most just fall into the friendzone and hence the birth of such threads.

(Original post by SloaneRanger)
    If you end up listening to fathobbit, you will end up a large amount of rejection. Just ask him about the countless rejection on TSR and this isn't a dating site. If you told her you liked her over a telephone it would have been far better, its a situation you could control and you could easily break the ice. There would be less awkwardness, someone is less likely to reject you over a phone then a text message, especially as you said you have a connection with her. Sometimes people don't know what to say by text, best thing is to pick up the phone and call her. Arrange a meet up in a sociable atmosphere, make is sound casual. If she has any objections overcome them. Be positive, you will get her!
    OP, take what he says with a pinch of salt.

He has a tendency to fabricate things.

ReputationRep:
    and why is this stupid thread making me go anon?

(Original post by minaekei)
    I feel like some of you are over analyzing things. I can't speak for all the girls in the world, but the one thing we like for people to do is be truthful and blunt, especially in situations where you're about to ask a girl out. One things for sure, you (OP) telling her you like her through a text was a bad move. Think about the position she's in now. She's you're friend, so she obviously doesn't want to hurt your feelings whether she likes you in that way or not.

The reaction you get from her is how you play your cards. Personally, I think you should flat out tell her that you want to meet up with her, or ask a mutual friend to have her meet you in a specific place. Ask her why it took so long for her to reply, then base your confession on her emotions. If she's looking uncomfortable don't go out revealing your undying love for her as it will only make her more uncomfortable. Keep it simple and stay calm.
    Whatever you do, don't say anything more through texts, it will only end in disaster (unless you're a lucky egg)
    For the guys criticising the OP for telling her he likes her through text.

She always probably knew it, it shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Finally - I am glad he is meeting up with her, but more often then not girls will flake on you, if they are not interested back.

You guys are way too analytical, and have far too many rules which leads to a **** load of game playing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    He was giving you really bad advice, not everyone plays games. Someones perception over someone else playing games, could simply be the way they handle a situation. Its easy to feel awkward about a situation like this, hopefully it goes well for you. At the moment you sound just like a guy who just likes a girl, if you ended up listening to him. You might end up sounding like a stalker. Best thing is you get to see her tomorrow, patience is a virtue. If you have an end game perfect place to show it.
    It is clear that he was being strung along.

I was not the only one in this thread that could see that.

If by bad advice, you mean hiding all of her status updates from facebook and going no contact - so he can try and get over her. Fair enough.

At the end of the day, if someone wants to be with you, they will try and make it happen. It's simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just because I think you were having a dig at Fathobbit and then being tongue in cheek with your response sorry mate

I see her tomorrow. So I'll just wait until then.
    Good luck, I hope it works out.

ReputationRep:
    You should've called her and told her.

Messaging is a very... Wrong way to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    Most messed up advice you can ever give to someone. Are you a complete virgin when it comes to girls or something?
    He sounds like a white knight. Putting women on a pedestal.

That guys mentality is exactly the reason why a lot of guys end up losing a lot of time chasing women they can't get it.

They think the girl will change her mind - when she probably won't, so end up getting frustrated and losing their sanity in the process..

(Original post by Yawn11)

What makes you think she would have picked up the phone?

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think she would have picked up the phone?
    Many people don't, I never do.

He did the right thing. He laid is cards out and walked away. And as he is seeing her tomorrow, it clearly didn't *freak* her out, if anything it gave her time to think about what he wrote.

Too many rules people.

ReputationRep:
    You done goof'd son

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)

I messaged it to my ex tbh although I was 17 at the time.

If he's seeing her tomorrow then he can talk to her about it if he wants to. It doesn't have to be awkward if he doesn't want it to be, although I'd be ticked off about her not responding. If she likes him she can respond to a text, how hard is that for goodness sake?

(Original post by jam278)

If he's seeing her tomorrow then he can talk to her about it if he wants to. It doesn't have to be awkward if he doesn't want it to be, although I'd be ticked off about her not responding. If she likes him she can respond to a text, how hard is that for goodness sake?
    I am.

I am confused to that very point as well considering what has happened to others in the past.

Its all a mystery.

ReputationRep:
    just wanted to say:mabye her phones turned off or she's engaged or her batterys dead?

BTW GL for tomorrow i guess.

(Original post by scrawlx101)
    just wanted to say:mabye her phones turned off or she's engaged or her batterys dead?

BTW GL for tomorrow i guess.

Phones dead for 3 whole days. LOL

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)

They are overcomplicating ****.

ReputationRep:
    Phones dead for 3 whole days. LOL

Thanks!
    As I told you in the PM, go no contact, and hide all of her facebook activity.

For the sake of your mental health.

If she has not get back to you. It means she is not interested, if she was, she would have wrote to you. It really isn't that hard, and its a good thing you did what you did , because it would have saved you from being strung along out of false hope.

Watch brazil and columbia today, have a good time.

(Original post by fat_hobbit)
    As I told you in the PM, go no contact, and hide all of her facebook activity.

For the sake of your mental health.

If she has not get back to you. It means she is not interested, if she was, she would have wrote to you. It really isn't that hard, and its a good thing you did what you did , because it would have saved you from being strung along out of false hope.

Watch brazil and columbia today, have a good time.
    I'll pm you something actually real quick.

I kind of have accepted it now anyway. Not that its going to make it any different, but she keeps sending me snapchats of boring ****, i'm like i don't give a rats ass! Not replying to that, almost as if she's acting as if nothing has happened.

Its either she hasn't got the courage to turn me down so thinks that by ignoring me it'll save her the time.
    She has been dating my mate and my gut was true and she feels guilty.
    She's forgotten (in which case she's horrible)
    She's unsure.

Either way its got to a point where I'm expecting her to say no. In which case, wasn't worth it anyway, and i've kind of accepted that fact, but I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope. Either way, I am talking to other girls so it isn't the end of the world. Just hope she accepts the fact that there will be less contact from now on.

ReputationRep:
    I'll pm you something actually real quick.

I kind of have accepted it now anyway. Not that its going to make it any different, but she keeps sending me snapchats of boring ****, i'm like i don't give a rats ass! Not replying to that, almost as if she's acting as if nothing has happened.

Its either she hasn't got the courage to turn me down so thinks that by ignoring me it'll save her the time.
    She has been dating my mate and my gut was true and she feels guilty.
    She's forgotten (in which case she's horrible)
    She's unsure.

Either way its got to a point where I'm expecting her to say no. In which case, wasn't worth it anyway, and i've kind of accepted that fact, but I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope. Either way, I am talking to other girls so it isn't the end of the world. Just hope she accepts the fact that there will be less contact from now on.
    She is messing with your mind mate.

You say you dont care about her, but look at you - you are analysing everything she does and you are holding onto a glimmer of hope.

Based on your PM, I would suggest you try and meet up with her and get closure. Otherwise this **** is going to go on and on for months, until eventually the relationship will turn extremely toxic. No girl is worth this aggrevation. Next time, a word of advice, don;t ever emotionally invest into a girl you are not dating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Let me look into my crystal ball.

I see:

"Hey mate, how's it going? So sweet of you for you to tell me that, but

(a) we have such a good time and we're such good friends and I really don't see you like that. I just don't want to risk our valuable friendship.

OR

(b) I have so much going on at the moment, I don't think I'm ready for a relationship atm. I need some space.

Have a great weekend!

Emily/Ella/Chloe/Hannah/Katie/Izzy x

I'm thinking about selling this as an app to women.

Like maybe you could change the level of insult to injury with the number of kisses as the end; or if you want to leave the door and faint hope open, or if you just want to shut him the f- out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.