Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It's quite a busy time for them, so I wouldn't worry that you have not heard back this working week. You will probably hear back in the next week or so as they usually do their interviews in India in early November.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!! I was just worried because other people in my university haven't received a rejection yet, even though they have not gotten the mail to take the test. Therefore was wondering, whether mine was a rejection by implication. But thanks for the reply. Keeping fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide whether to start applying and get the advantages of being early or wait until term has started when I might have started one or two more extra-curriculars and been to CV clinics etc :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    I can't decide whether to start applying and get the advantages of being early or wait until term has started when I might have started one or two more extra-curriculars and been to CV clinics etc :erm:
    I'd wait. General rule of thumb is apply in the first two-thirds of the application window if their recruitment is done on a rolling basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'd wait. General rule of thumb is apply in the first two-thirds of the application window if their recruitment is done on a rolling basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, this has crept up on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Jesus, this has crept up on me.
    God, how long have we been going through the motions together on TSR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    God, how long have we been going through the motions together on TSR!
    Ha! Seems like only yesterday we were discussing Oxbridge interview questions. How's it going? Know which firms you're applying to?

ReputationRep:
    God, I'm so bad at shortlisting firms. What criteria is everybody using to decide where to apply? They all seem so similar in so many ways, aha.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any firms which have very straight forward online application form. I want to have some backup insurance firms which I am likely to bag easily. I want to do these after I have done some of the applications that are going to take me longer to tailor etc.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything back from Jones Day yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Ha! Seems like only yesterday we were discussing Oxbridge interview questions. How's it going? Know which firms you're applying to?
    I've got a list, but I don't think I'll have time to do good applications for all of them once term starts, so not sure how I'll narrow it down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chianti1)
    Has anyone heard anything back from Jones Day yet?
    It's been more than three weeks and I haven't heard anything from them. What about you? When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    Here's me not even sure where to apply while others are already getting restless waiting to hear back from firms :lol: I need to up my game I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trisha.b)
    It's been more than three weeks and I haven't heard anything from them. What about you? When did you apply?

I'm yet to hear anything from them, I applied about a month ago. Which other firms are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chianti1)
    I'm yet to hear anything from them, I applied about a month ago. Which other firms are you applying for?
    I know right! I mailed Diana twice and she said that it is still in progress and I can hear it anyday.

I am applying to MC, SC and American firms. Probably 20 in total. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trisha.b)
    I know right! I mailed Diana twice and she said that it is still in progress and I can hear it anyday.

I am applying to MC, SC and American firms. Probably 20 in total. What about you?

That sounds like a good mix, I'm mainly applying to American Firms. I'll probably apply to around 15 firms in total.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!I just wanted some advice about applying for vac schemes. I am a penultimate year history student and for my first year results I just scraped a 2:1 (I got an overall 2:2 in first semester and an overall 2:1 in second semester). My A Levels (A*AA) are within the range most firms ask for. I was just wondering whether it would be worth applying for vac schemes considering my first year results are below par. It's such a competitive process and it just seems my results are sadly going to hold me back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natasha=)
    Hey guys!I just wanted some advice about applying for vac schemes. I am a penultimate year history student and for my first year results I just scraped a 2:1 (I got an overall 2:2 in first semester and an overall 2:1 in second semester). My A Levels (A*AA) are within the range most firms ask for. I was just wondering whether it would be worth applying for vac schemes considering my first year results are below par. It's such a competitive process and it just seems my results are sadly going to hold me back
    Most non-law vac schemes are in your final year - the one's you'd be going for are MC firms, as they're pretty much the only ones that hold vac schemes for penultimate non-law. You'll have a much better chance with a firm if you get a good 2.1 this year then apply next year - might be better not to have some possible rejections under your belt from firms applying with a low 2.1 this year, rather than just a clean sheet next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coke_addict2010)
    Thanks for your reply and your advice! I was wondering, though, how do you know that Baker & McKenzie look for consistent 2:1s?

Also, I also wanted to know if anyone had any experience or insight into Herbert Smith Freehills? I know that they're a SC firm and, in some regards, even rival the MC ones, but I was wondering what they're application process was like and were they just as likely to scrutinise your grades like a firm like Slaughter and May would?
    Hey, in case you were still wondering I asked the grad rec for HSF at a uni event and they said while they do look for a 2:1 in each module, they will overlook a few 2:2s if the rest of the application is strong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coke_addict2010)
    Thanks for your reply and your advice! I was wondering, though, how do you know that Baker & McKenzie look for consistent 2:1s?

Also, I also wanted to know if anyone had any experience or insight into Herbert Smith Freehills? I know that they're a SC firm and, in some regards, even rival the MC ones, but I was wondering what they're application process was like and were they just as likely to scrutinise your grades like a firm like Slaughter and May would?
    I was also told by graduate recruitment at Bakers that they prefer 2:1s in each module.

As for HSF, their application process involves an unbelievable amount of online tests, which is incredibly annoying. They're also one of the firms that reject you for a TC if you applied and failed to get a vac scheme with them. Not sure about the grades though - doubt any British firm is more stringent on academics than Slaughters.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.