Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UKIP 2015 Manifesto to be agreed tomorrow some interesting policy revealed so far Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Its to be published in Sept.

As always with ACE123's threads, exaggeration is not missed.
    I should have known.

Will it be launched in the fanfare of a pub or a plane crash this time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    Then you forget the damage of mining (noise, pollution, loss of habitats, loss of rare metals, machinery using fossil fuels: destruction of the environment), the fossil fuels burnt transporting the resource by lorries. The poor working conditions for the workers etc etc. Same with wind turbines. Complete waste; nothing more than big businesses exploiting the market and the people. And then we have to look at the environment they are put up in and the destruction they cause to the local environment there.

And given that wind turbines give so little energy out and cost so much to put up, I'm going to have to disagree with that article.
    You do realise you need to use fossil fuels to build and fuel nuclear reactors aswell... even fossil fueled fired power stations require fossil fuels for their construction and operation.

The question is whether an energy source produces enough energy to offset the fossil fuel energy used in its construction and operation, and the fact is most show that when sited properly, wind turbines and solar panels more than achieve this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    Even some African countries can afford to do something - Ghana has feed in tariffs for renewable energy. Are you telling me that Ghana can afford to spend on climate change measures but the 6th biggest economy in the world somehow can't?
    No. Ghana cannot afford it and the supporters of these policies have blood on their hands. I doubt many of them live in Ghana.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    Don't read the Mail and would never read that vermin rag, The Sun.
    Sanctimonious indeed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    Under current government:

I'm on £45k and I take home about £33k after deductibles.

Under UKIP's proposals

Im on £45k and £32.5k of that is taxable (if the UKIP threshold is at £12.5k as we expect).

20% tax only on £32.5k leaves me with £26k plus the £12.5k untaxed income. This puts me on £38.5k.

Take off £4k in NI contributions at around the current rate and that leaves you with £34.5k.

You are £1,500 better off roughly on that salary. That will of course fluctuate depending where you lie in terms of income but I'd guess a lot of graduate incomes after a few years working will be flirting around the £35-45k range.
    Another thing for you to ignore

Also, that assumes you pay no pension contributions. If I were on £45k mine would be £3k/annum. So I wouldn't see any benefit from the rise in the higher rate threshold.

Really quite interesting UKIP are proposing a 1% increase in the higher rate threshold per annum. Given all the massive cost savings they will make how can they not better the Tories plan for tax cutting...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    No. Ghana cannot afford it and the supporters of these policies have blood on their hands. I doubt many of them live in Ghana.
    You say that, but Ghana has feed in tariffs for renewable energy and they have had good economic growth over the past few years. Ghana can afford it, we can too.

ReputationRep:
    UKIP are going to turn us into a bible-belt colony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    You say that, but Ghana has feed in tariffs for renewable energy and they have had good economic growth over the past few years. Ghana can afford it, we can too.
    Growth is a rate of change, not a level; Ghana is poorer than Britain was in 1800. It cannot afford universal access to electricity of any kind, but the cheapest would certainly be preferable to the most expensive.

Britain can afford feed-in tariffs at a cost less than excess mortality. It should therefore decide on a more careful cost/benefit. However, feed-in tariffs specifically privilege certain solutions (like solar panels) as against others (like nuclear power stations), so they are still a poor way to arrive at the cost/benefit optimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...lection-Pledge

-Abolishment of inheritance tax
    -Raising the starting rate tax is paid so the poorest pay no tax at all
    -Abolishing energy and climate change department
    -Scrapping HS2
    -40% tax rate for middle earners to start a higher rate
    -45% tax rate scrapped
    -Bedroom tax could be abolished and will be decided tomorrow

Thoughts on these? and what else do you think they should include?
    Any signs of it showing up yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...lection-Pledge

-Abolishment of inheritance tax
    -Raising the starting rate tax is paid so the poorest pay no tax at all
    -Abolishing energy and climate change department
    -Scrapping HS2
    -40% tax rate for middle earners to start a higher rate
    -45% tax rate scrapped
    -Bedroom tax could be abolished and will be decided tomorrow

Thoughts on these? and what else do you think they should include?
    How about now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    How about now?
    This briefly mentions that it will be released later this week. Apparently.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.