Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it weird that I wouldn't want my Dad to walk me down the aisle? Watch

ReputationRep:
    feel sorry for any man that ends up with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bartimaeus)
    You're talking rubbish. Fathers and husbands do not act as body guards. When have you ever seen a woman needing 'protection' from their father or husband?

This part doesn't make sense: 'Streets (social services and charity are partly dependent on people's good will and what way they vote)'

Social services don't know or care how you vote.

Your views are outdated and prejudiced. The OP is going to be fine without her father giving her away to her husband like property on her wedding day.
    OK if the libertarians suddenly got into power after a really convincing campaign, and shut down all publicly run social services, since there would be little government funding for them, leaving everyone who didn't have money to fend for themselves, including the young, and this girl's father died and left little money behind, she'd be entirely reliant on the good will of the people.

And what if everyone became selfish? It's not implausible if everyone voted libertarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewduncan)
    feel sorry for any man that ends up with you
    Ooh, that's a new one.
    Why is this?
    Because I've realised I don't have to stick to a tradition that doesn't hold any meaning anymore, and decided to give each parent in the wedding a more equal role, so my mother doesn't have to just sit around looking pretty?
    No, I don't think you need to feel sorry for my boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    OK if the libertarians suddenly got into power after a really convincing campaign, and shut down all publicly run social services, since there would be little government funding for them, leaving everyone who didn't have money to fend for themselves, including the young, and this girl's father died and left little money behind, she'd be entirely reliant on the good will of the people.

And what if everyone became selfish? It's not implausible if everyone voted libertarian.
    Just thought I'd point out that I don't actually rely on my father's money anymore and don't actually live at home. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccagood95)
    Just thought I'd point out that I don't actually rely on my father's money anymore and don't actually live at home. :dry:
    Fair enough

He did provide for you at a time of vulnerability though (not that women are more vulnerable, though they are less physically strong on average, perhaps fathers should give their sons away as well to be fair, but you have to consider that their future wife doesn't have the same role of protector during their pregnancy since they don't get pregnant), and your husband might provide for you/your kids during a time of vulnerability (pregnancy and early motherhood), so that might be an argument for "giving away".

ReputationRep:
    OP why not talk to your dad about it?

Also lol at all the people making out she is some kind of heartless monster. What are your views of people who, god forbid, dare to get married some place else other than a church?

My personal view on it is what Vixen said but it doesn't really matter since it isn't me getting married. Live and let live etc.

ReputationRep:

No more reliant than men would be. The OP is perfectly capable of fending for herself, even in your unlikely prediction of the future!

ReputationRep:
    No more reliant than men would be. The OP is perfectly capable of fending for herself, even in your unlikely prediction of the future!
    Yes but the point is that the boyfriend/fiance then takes on the role of protector (during pregnancy), so the father (the old protector) takes the girl to the new protector.

The same cannot be said for men: they do not need protection during pregnancy. They are the protectors.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the point is that the boyfriend/fiance then takes on the role of protector (during pregnancy), so the father (the old protector) takes the girl to the new protector.

The same cannot be said for men: they do not need protection during pregnancy. They are the protectors.
    No, the point is that woman don't need protecting! What is it that you think pregnant woman are in danger from?

ReputationRep:
    No, the point is that woman don't need protecting! What is it that you think pregnant woman are in danger from?
    Well if the woman didn't have lots of savings, and a libertarian government came in during pregnancy, they'd need the financial protection of their partner to avoid being on the streets, and physical protection too because the people plunged into poverty might be looting houses.

ReputationRep:
    It's also, in the more likely scenario of no libertarian government, protection in a weaker sense: the man offers the woman protection from a lower standard of living during pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    Well if they don't have lots of savings, and a libertarian government came in during pregnancy, they'd need the financial protection of their partner to avoid being on the streets, and physical protection too because the people plunged into poverty might be looting houses.
    You're just taking the piss now.

By the way, pregnant women get maternity leave and pay.

ReputationRep:

What if I got pregnant before marriage? The boyfriend would be the "protector" rather than the father, but that doesn't require any ceremonies or traditions. And as somebody said, women get maternity leave and pay, and there are lots of single mothers that coped during their pregnancy without anyone.

ReputationRep:
    You're just taking the piss now.

By the way, pregnant women get maternity leave and pay.
    Not always. If the woman just works min wage jobs for a year at a time or something, she might not get maternity pay.

In a libertarian society, government laws forcing maternity leave and pay might be lifted.

ReputationRep:
    What if I got pregnant before marriage? The boyfriend would be the protector rather than the father, but that doesn't require any ceremonies or traditions.
    Why are you having a marriage in the first place then? I've shown the non-misogynistic rationality (from protector to protector, from one man who loves her to another) behind the father leading the daughter down the aisle.

Are you against non-misogynistic ceremonies and traditions in general? So you won't be celebrating Christmas or your marriage?

ReputationRep:
    "It's tradition!"
    Yeah, in some parts of the world so is FGM.
    So was slavery.

Do whatever you want. I completely get this. Some people have both parents walk them down the aisle. It's based on archaic and sexist beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    And as somebody said, women get maternity leave and pay, and there are lots of single mothers that coped during their pregnancy without anyone.
    Yes but that depends on the job you do and is dependent on certain laws which could change.

And if you relied solely on maternity pay, I'd imagine you'd have a fairly miserable life. In a way, your husband is protecting you in a weaker sense, from a lower standard of living than you're used to, having come from two parents and then gone on presumably to be earning alongside your husband.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but that depends on the job you do and is dependent on certain laws which could change. And if you relied solely on maternity pay, I'd imagine you'd have a fairly miserable life. In a way, your husband is protecting you in a weaker sense, from a lower standard of living than you're used to, having come from two parents and then gone on presumably to be earning alongside your husband.
    Initially, statutory maternity pay is quite similar to the amount you would get if you were working, and there's other forms of financial assistance for single working mothers. I won't have gone straight from my parents to be with a husband.

ReputationRep:
    Not always. If the woman just works min wage jobs for a year at a time or something, she might not get maternity pay.

In a libertarian society, government laws forcing maternity leave and pay might be lifted.
    Or the man could 'work min wage jobs for a year' while the woman has a well paid career. In which case the woman will be the 'protector'. So using your argument, the man should walk down the isle into the 'protection' which the woman provides.

ReputationRep:
    Or the man could 'work min wage jobs for a year' while the woman has a well paid career. In which case the woman will be the 'protector'. So using your argument, the man should walk down the isle into the 'protection' which the woman provides.
    True but I'm assuming, with her feminism principles of equality, she'd want to earn the same or just slightly more than her husband (to cover for her pregnancy when she can't earn).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.