Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which student bank account do you use? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which student bank account do you use?
    Lloyds
    17.00%
    Natwest
    14.50%
    Santander
    30.00%
    Co-op
    5.50%
    HSBC
    18.50%
    Halifax
    6.50%
    Other
    8.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OHNOGEM)
    Well I don't plan on having min wage lol, but it's just the the feel of added debt tution+loan+overdraft right after you graduate is pretty heavy
    I'm 1,500 into mine and I will extend it in my postgrad year to 1,750. I don't feel worried though because of my banks graduate account.

Also, the loan isn't really hanging over my head because it automatically comes out of your account, it's not money you ever really have access too.

I used my overdraft for silly things like going out, but I'm glad I used it and had no regrets about my time at university because I missed a night that I really wanted to go to! Everyone is different though, do whatever you think is right for you

ReputationRep:
    Santander but only because they were giving £50 to new customers! Due to start my placement (third year) now and the overdraft is a godsend! Don't know what I'd do without it tbh

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to use Halifax, simply because I'm already with them and they offer good overdraft limits.

ReputationRep:
    How do we get out railcard sorted with Santander?

Is it free or a small fee?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a 123 account with Santander, and will be switching to a 123 student account (new for this year I believe?) with Santander.

You get the overdraft facility, the free railcard, plus 3% AER (interest) on any balance between £300 - £2,000. You can also have a contactless debit card if you want, which is also useful for purchases under £20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkysarmy)
    How do we get out railcard sorted with Santander?

Is it free or a small fee?

Thanks.
    It is free, you order it from your online banking, there is an option to do this when you login.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student starting my first year this fall, and I sort of have no idea where to begin with student banking. I've been looking through this thread and it looks like Santander is might be a good choice, but I'm open to any other suggestions?

Also, is anyone here familiar with BBVA and their services? I have a BBVA Compass account in the United States, so I've been considering opening up a BBVA current account in the UK for student banking purposes but I don't know if that's my best option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danyxin)
    I'm an international student starting my first year this fall, and I sort of have no idea where to begin with student banking. I've been looking through this thread and it looks like Santander is might be a good choice, but I'm open to any other suggestions?

Also, is anyone here familiar with BBVA and their services? I have a BBVA Compass account in the United States, so I've been considering opening up a BBVA current account in the UK for student banking purposes but I don't know if that's my best option.
    International student accounts, don't come with the same perks unfortunately. Check the picture below..

Name:  1405255114352.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  53.6 KB

You also get a debit card and a cash withdrawal limit of £300 per day. I imagine the one free foreign cheque deposit each month, would save you a fair bit of money though.

ReputationRep:
    Lloyds preach how last yr they were voted best for student accounts. I'm iwht them (just finished A-levels) and they automatically transfer you to a student one. Wondering if there's anyone better thou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soontobesuper)
    Lloyds preach how last yr they were voted best for student accounts. I'm iwht them (just finished A-levels) and they automatically transfer you to a student one. Wondering if there's anyone better thou
    Read this thread and then you can decide for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    HSBC!!!!!!! Woop woop.
    I've never seen such a reaction to HSBC - at least, my housemate doesn't feel the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OHNOGEM)
    But the interest adds up when you finish your degree
    Most banks offer a year free interest after you finish your degree or you can swap onto their graduate bank account which offers the same thing. I got a job and I paid my overdraft off pretty quickly after my first degree, within the year of free interest.

Like I said before... 'if you are sensible'. If people are not sensible then maybe they should avoid overdrafts.

If you don't 'need' an over draft and you are smart then you could put some of the money into a high interest account, make some profit and pay it all back before the interest free period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I don't want any of the freebies nor do I even come close to needing the overdraft.
    More fantastic that you don't need an overdraft. Get one anyway, put some of the money into an ISA and earn interest on it over the period of your degree, then pay off the overdraft before the interest free period ends. It's that easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleeggy)
    More fantastic that you don't need an overdraft. Get one anyway, put some of the money into an ISA and earn interest on it over the period of your degree, then pay off the overdraft before the interest free period ends. It's that easy.
    Hi can I PM you about this? I'm interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleeggy)
    I'm already going to be at the limit you can put into an ISA each year. Not worth it for the couple of quid I would get anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with HSBC I quite like them I had a £500 overdraft for my first year which I think is probably the best amount for anyone starting off with an overdraft and this year I've been offered the credit card with a limit of £500. Mind you, I have no intentions of using the credit card without knowing I have the money to pay back what I use :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I personally hate PINsentry. I think it's really inconvenient if you need to quickly check your online banking or make a transfer and you don't have it with you.
    You can do it without the PINSentry device if you set it up that way

ReputationRep:
    If I get a student bank account mine has gotta have more perks and less overdraft. Only because I would use the rail card, discount card etc all the time but the overdraft would rarely get used

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    anything but halifax. i've had so many problems with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaolin Punk)
    anything but halifax. i've had so many problems with them.
    What kind of problems? I've been wrestling over switching so, your experiences could be helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.