Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I think the show reminds me of why I probably won't like university. Seems to be loads of jerks, ****s and boyfriend stealers.
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misscherie)
    In the Q&A in the press release from Leicester Uni, Josie and Aiden showed some regret towards messing around in first year - Josie felt like she could have done better and didn't like how much was shown about her sex life and Aiden chose to take a year out after and that he was playing up for cameras and wanted to be all cocky then realised how stupid he looked

    Haha knew it wasn't gonna last....


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    link?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are saying this show is a bad advert of the University of Leicester but to be honest, if the name of the uni had not been mentioned, it could've been any university. These stereotypes are not exclusive to Leicester, it just so happens it is where the documentary was filmed.
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyan Fox)
    A lot of people are saying this show is a bad advert of the University of Leicester but to be honest, if the name of the uni had not been mentioned, it could've been any university. These stereotypes are not exclusive to Leicester, it just so happens it is where the documentary was filmed.
    I agree, it is only snobs, or those who have not been to university yet themselves who will be so impressionable though.
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    I suspect if you had condensed my first uni term into a single hour episode it would have looked like pretty much non stop partying and mucking about. In the same way that my 2 years of 6th form condensed would look like an episode of Skins.

    It's a tv show, they're only going to put on the best 1% and ignore the other 99% boring and 'normal' stuff. I can't believe any of those students actually agreed to go on this..


    Makes good entertainment though.
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I suspect if you had condensed my first uni term into a single hour episode it would have looked like pretty much non stop partying and mucking about. In the same way that my 2 years of 6th form condensed would look like an episode of Skins.

    It's a tv show, they're only going to put on the best 1% and ignore the other 99% boring and 'normal' stuff. I can't believe any of those students actually agreed to go on this..


    Makes good entertainment though.
    Ikr, the lack of privacy is quite frankly scary. I can't think it's a great advert for their future employers either. I fail to see why anybody would think going on a show like this a good idea, other than money but I doubt they recieved much, if anything.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melon girl)
    I think the show reminds me of why I probably won't like university. Seems to be loads of jerks, ****s and boyfriend stealers.
    most people wont be like that, best thing to do is to avoid them and don't make close friendships with people who party a lot over revising. You're there for a degree not to get an STI and then laugh about it.
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    most people wont be like that, best thing to do is to avoid them and don't make close friendships with people who party a lot over revising. You're there for a degree not to get an STI and then laugh about it.
    The show has made me worried that I won't be included or I will be looked down upon if I don't conform to such social doings, which is a worry.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melon girl)
    I think the show reminds me of why I probably won't like university. Seems to be loads of jerks, ****s and boyfriend stealers.
    I wouldn't really call the girl a boyfriend stealer but I will call the guy a cheat


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melon girl)
    The show has made me worried that I won't be included or I will be looked down upon if I don't conform to such social doings, which is a worry.
    everyone will be nervous though, so drinking alcohol or not doesn't matter. You will find your feet anyway
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Trustno1)
    I wouldn't really call the girl a boyfriend stealer but I will call the guy a cheat


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh he broke up with his girl to just get more sex from this new girl. Regardless, he is pathetic and she is blinded by love.
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    everyone will be nervous though, so drinking alcohol or not doesn't matter. You will find your feet anyway
    Thanks hun.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Goddammit, why did it have to be aired when I'm in a different country? I'm excited for uni anyway, but having seen the clips and comments, I don't think I'll be like any of the students chosen.
    In my boyfriend's house this year, there was one girl who tried to have an ONS basically every time she was out, if what I was told is to be believed. I went out with her, my boyfriend and some of their friends and became a rather adept **** blocker. I also really can't stand the idea of not being independent from your SO or whatever. My best friend has just completed her first year attached to the hip of her boyfriend, which, although they love each other, can't be healthy.
    My boyfriend spent his freshers' week going out every night and rang me every night as he was 'girlfriend sick,' but he's still made really good friends in his first year, whom I hope he keeps through uni.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melon girl)
    Thanks hun.
    Speaking from others' experiences, I'm afraid, but I have some really close friends who are shy or who don't drink. They're all very industrious and have really found themselves (and made plenty of good friends) at uni. At the beginning, everyone will be nervous, but the fact that you're all in the same boat presents an opportunity to make friends
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BlackMagicV)
    Speaking from others' experiences, I'm afraid, but I have some really close friends who are shy or who don't drink. They're all very industrious and have really found themselves (and made plenty of good friends) at uni. At the beginning, everyone will be nervous, but the fact that you're all in the same boat presents an opportunity to make friends
    I'm just trying to think of my strategy for making friends aha.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melon girl)
    The show has made me worried that I won't be included or I will be looked down upon if I don't conform to such social doings, which is a worry.
    Aww bless you!

    I'm also not so interesting in these social doings


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melon girl)
    I'm just trying to think of my strategy for making friends aha.
    I will talk to anyone and I make sure everyone is included, whether they drink or not. Hopefully you'll be with friendly (if slightly socially awkward) flatmates
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Trustno1)
    Aww bless you!

    I'm also not so interesting in these social doings


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha Thankyou. I just don't enjoy doing things that could possibly kill me, they're not very fun, I mean neck nomination? Really? No thanks.
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BlackMagicV)
    I will talk to anyone and I make sure everyone is included, whether they drink or not. Hopefully you'll be with friendly (if slightly socially awkward) flatmates
    I'm hoping my flatmates aren't alcoholics, or at least they won't be sick everywhere.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melon girl)
    I'm hoping my flatmates aren't alcoholics, or at least they won't be sick everywhere.
    Of all the friends who have come to my parties (about 40-50) at home, I think 1 has chundered every time and he's not the kind of 'let's go wild and partayyyyy' type. We do have to spend at least an hour cleaning up vom every time though, even with a few of us staying sober. I do drink, but not to excess. I know my limits and I can handle my drink. However, I don't want to drink beyond my limits due to an incident that occurred a couple of years ago.
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.