The Student Room Group

Undergrad who wears the niqab. Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Dan.dont
Its refreshing to see how people on here with nothing to say pick out irrelevant things...well why don't you "just say" something meaningful?

You're a fine one to talk. :s-smilie:

I could say a lot of meaningful things, like "I love my mother", but that's not how you debate things, dearest.
Why do you feel the need to wear a niqab? As an Arab/Muslim I feel that it defeats the purpose... It's understandable to wear one in Saudi.. but what's the need of covering your face here? It's a barrier to communication and it makes a lot of people uncomfortable and it just makes you stand out which surely isn't even the purpose of it!!!
Original post by CJKay
You're a fine one to talk. :s-smilie:

I could say a lot of meaningful things, like "I love my mother", but that's not how you debate things, dearest.

Meaningful in terms of this? You say irrelevant things, "but thats not how you debate things."
The duplicate members are on a rise!

How is that even relevant? Lol
Original post by ExMus
How is that even relevant? Lol

Its relevant to the point he made as it is from the same member, so I said it.
Its relevant to the point he made as it is from the same member, so I said it.

Ahuh.
Original post by I Procrastinate
Anyone can wear a balaclava and commit a crime?

Anyone can wear a mask and commit a crime?

Anyone can go and steal during Halloween by wearing a costume covering their face and body?

But you can walk into a bank wearing one of them black veil things some Muslims wear.

Do the same with a balaclava and see what happens.
Original post by Ben_Dover
Small children are scared by a lot of things. Should we ban everything that even remotely scares small children?

I never said we should ban it for that reason alone.
Original post by manchesterunited15
I never said we should ban it for that reason alone.

You keep putting it in your lost and so clearly place some importance on it, when in fact it should carry no weighting. Given that your reasoning was so flawed, I seriously doubt other reasons put forward by you would be convincing
You keep putting it in your lost and so clearly place some importance on it, when in fact it should carry no weighting. Given that your reasoning was so flawed, I seriously doubt other reasons put forward by you would be convincing

The most important reason is security. You would not be allowed in a shop with a balaclava, so you shouldn't with a niqab either.
The most important reason is security. You would not be allowed in a shop with a balaclava, so you shouldn't with a niqab either.

We must look at substantive equality and not formal equality.

As I said, you have nothing convincing. Just another typical bigot going on about the same point
(edited 9 years ago)
We must look at substantive equality and not formal equality.

As I said, you have nothing convincing. Just another typical bigot going on about the same point

Is the French government also full of bigots? :rolleyes: I have no problem with the hijab, and I have no problem with wearing the niqab in private, but in public allowing it is giving special priveliges for religion, which is wrong.
Is the French government also full of bigots? :rolleyes: I have no problem with the hijab, and I have no problem with wearing the niqab in private, but in public allowing it is giving special priveliges for religion, which is wrong.

Everyone knows the French are xenophobic. Surely you must know that? They eve display a remarkable amount of hate for the English
Everyone knows the French are xenophobic. Surely you must know that? They eve display a remarkable amount of hate for the English

I agree with them on this though. Special priveliges for religion? What justification is there for that?
I agree with them on this though. Special priveliges for religion? What justification is there for that?

It's not a special privilege. It's substantive equality.
It's not a special privilege. It's substantive equality.

It is a special privilege lol.

Balaclava: not allowed in lots of public spaces
Niqab: allowed in almost all public spaces

They're virtually the same item. The only difference is one if associated with religion.
It is a special privilege lol.

Balaclava: not allowed in lots of public spaces
Niqab: allowed in almost all public spaces

They're virtually the same item. The only difference is one if associated with religion.

Substantive equality. I have a feeling you're struggling to understand this concept.

Freedom of religion is a fundamental right protected by the law. The law recognises that religions have certain requirements and affords protection through substantive equality.

There is no similar requirement for some wanting to wear a balaclava
Substantive equality. I have a feeling you're struggling to understand this concept.

Freedom of religion is a fundamental right protected by the law. The law recognises that religions have certain requirements and affords protection through substantive equality.

There is no similar requirement for some wanting to wear a balaclava

Yes, and I disagree with that. Just because it is currently that way doesn't mean it's correct.
Yes, and I disagree with that. Just because it is currently that way doesn't mean it's correct.

Fair enough....I can't force you to change your mind.

I'll just finish on the statement that those that wear a niqab do so because they feel their religion requires them to do so.

Those that wear a balaclava do so in order to cause mischief.

Making a comparison between the two is just petty. Hopefully you'll come to realise these differences in personal belief
When did you start wearing niqab?
Did your family encourage you to wear it or were they apprehensive about your decision?
Have you ever been treated badly because of your niqab?
Were there any other niqabis on your course?
What is your ethnicity?

Sorry for the barrage of questions :tongue: hope your Ramadan is going well insha Allah

Quick Reply

Latest