Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    You should carry on the punk thing! Its not hard to play Punk on guitar either :P Unless you already had enough guitarists

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was all for doing punk but my friends insisted on doing more grunge songs so we did lol needless to say my throat started hurting more after singing more grunge I was helpless as a guitarist anyway and we had one guitarist anyway. I might learn some since I enjoy it so much!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightShroud99)
    I was all for doing punk but my friends insisted on doing more grunge songs so we did lol needless to say my throat started hurting more after singing more grunge I was helpless as a guitarist anyway and we had one guitarist anyway. I might learn some since I enjoy it so much!
    I just find Punk really fun to play/listen to. I'm not a massive fan of Grunge myself. I see it as Punk minus the fun :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I first tried to learn Californication, I struggled with a bit in the verse. My advice I guess is just work on it, and make sure you press hard. When you pull off again, bend it slightly just as you release it so the string vibrates more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks...but how did you know it was Californication? :eyeball:
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Thanks...but how did you know it was Californication? :eyeball:
    1) Your name is Dani California and you said you're a Chilli Peppers fan.
    2) I was just playing it 5 minutes ago on my guitar and put two and two together :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1) Your name is Dani California and you said you're a Chilli Peppers fan.
    2) I was just playing it 5 minutes ago on my guitar and put two and two together :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, nice coincidence. Damn Flea and his inhuman playing.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Haha, nice coincidence. Damn Flea and his inhuman playing.
    Hahaha, ikr! Don't beat yourself up about it though, it took me awhile to get

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just find Punk really fun to play/listen to. I'm not a massive fan of Grunge myself. I see it as Punk minus the fun :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel the same way! The songs we learnt towards the end were sort of a mixture between the two so it was okay I guess... But punk always gets me exited and quite of a few of the compositions I've made were punk songs too What do you tend to listen to in terms of punk?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same way! The songs we learnt towards the end were sort of a mixture between the two so it was okay I guess... But punk always gets me exited and quite of a few of the compositions I've made were punk songs too What do you tend to listen to in terms of punk?
    In terms of punk bands? My favourite band is Rise Against, but they've somewhat softened over the year.

I love Black Flag too. They're probably my favourite Hardcore Punk band.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, ikr! Don't beat yourself up about it though, it took me awhile to get

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't why this is getting me so much, every time I do it, it throws the timing for everything else. Tried to play Snow the other day as well, talk about running before you can walk. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Drummer. Play at church. Been playing years now.
    Starting to learn the guitar, keys and bass.
    I wanna learn the sax
    Band of the year: Snarky Puppy (I just bought their album: We Like It Here)

ReputationRep:
    In terms of punk bands? My favourite band is Rise Against, but they've somewhat softened over the year.

I love Black Flag too. They're probably my favourite Hardcore Punk band.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice! Did you ever manage to play in your own rock band? Your band choices are awesome lol Our leader was too strict with song choices
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't why this is getting me so much, every time I do it, it throws the timing for everything else. Tried to play Snow the other day as well, talk about running before you can walk. :lol:
    I tried to learn Snow. I looked at the tab and just went "nah. I'll save that for later" :P Just remember to bend the string slightly as you pull off. You get a louder/cleaner sound.

Are you playing on an Acoustic or Electric?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I tried to learn Snow. I looked at the tab and just went "nah. I'll save that for later" :P Just remember to bend the string slightly as you pull off. You get a louder/cleaner sound.

Are you playing on an Acoustic or Electric?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, did you same thing, got about 6 notes in before going nope. :rolleyes: Playing an electric.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nice! Did you ever manage to play in your own rock band? Your band choices are awesome lol Our leader was too strict with song choices
    I don't like the idea of band leaders, but I generally am the creative, passionate one in my bands. I've played in quite a few bands. At the moment I play Lead in a Punk Band and both Lead and Rhythm (we rotate) in a Rock trio, whilst doing loads of Solo work. I produce all the stuff I do too.

I generally prefer to write new stuff, but I've done the odd cover too, but only when everyone agrees with it.

Mind you, I'm only 16 so I've hardly played any gigs or anything yet. Most places are 18+

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Haha, did you same thing, got about 6 notes in before going nope. :rolleyes: Playing an electric.
    Haha, yup :P And that's good, it's harder on an acoustic. Strings tend to be more stiff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I sing, and I've had singing lessons since about 8 years old. Progress was slow because I only had a little voice.

I sing in a school band - lots of pop and funk. I sing in the school choir, and I sing solo. When I sing solo I prefer to sing in a classical style. Me and a couple of other friends want to go out busking too but haven't sorted anything. We work as a trio with one girl on keys.

I don't know if this classes me as a musician, because I know singing isn't technically playing an instrument.

I've dabbled with piano and want to get better!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yup :P And that's good, it's harder on an acoustic. Strings tend to be more stiff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tried to play a classical Spanish guitar once, it was hilarious, my hands literally were not big enough to play the chords. And I can't fret anything of an acoustic, nylon strings hurt. :rolleyes: Will it help hammering on if I lower the action?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Tried to play a classical Spanish guitar once, it was hilarious, my hands literally were not big enough to play the chords. And I can't fret anything of an acoustic, nylon strings hurt. :rolleyes: Will it help hammering on if I lower the action?
    It'll help a whole lot! I had a really bad Les Paul copy and the action was ridiculous. I then saved up for an Epiphone which is so much better :P

It's really hard to fret on Classical Guitars, especially high up (in terms of pitch)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sloe&AppleJelly)
    I sing, and I've had singing lessons since about 8 years old. Progress was slow because I only had a little voice.

I sing in a school band - lots of pop and funk. I sing in the school choir, and I sing solo. When I sing solo I prefer to sing in a classical style. Me and a couple of other friends want to go out busking too but haven't sorted anything. We work as a trio with one girl on keys.

I don't know if this classes me as a musician, because I know singing isn't technically playing an instrument.

I've dabbled with piano and want to get better!
    You're definitely still a musician

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It'll help a whole lot! I had a really bad Les Paul copy and the action was ridiculous. I then saved up for an Epiphone which is so much better :P

It's really hard to fret on Classical Guitars, especially high up (in terms of pitch)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The day I can afford an actual Les Paul is the day I accept the economy is fixed. :lol: Right, going to lower the action, thanks for the advice!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.