Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who is the best player in the premier league/who will have the best season next year? Watch

• View Poll Results: Best player in the premier league
    Sanchez
    7.26%
    Ozil
    6.45%
    Hazard
    12.90%
    Mata
    1.61%
    Diego Costa
    2.42%
    Daniel Sturridge
    4.84%
    Raheem Sterling
    3.23%
    Robin Van Persie
    4.03%
    Vincent Kompany
    3.23%
    John Terry
    1.61%
    Fabregas
    4.03%
    Mertesacker
    0.81%
    David Silva
    1.61%
    Sergio Aguero
    8.87%
    Yaya Toure
    34.68%
    Other
    2.42%

ReputationRep:
    If either Aguero or RVP can stay for for the season, could be either of them tbh. Easily could score 25 league goals.

I think Man City will walk the league this season and Yaya looked like one of the best players last season and so will continue to get the media plaudits (unless he moves).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    Demichelis finished the season strongly but there were times when Kompany was playing in 3 defensive positions all by himself. Demichelis spent half his time on the half way line, on the floor having just missed a rash challenge and Kompany would have to cover for him and whichever (or both) of the fullbacks went bombing forward. He had to do so with very little cover from midfield as Fernandinho did his best but just isn't defensive enough.
    It is a lot of pressure to be consistently playing in 3 positions and marking 2-3 players and at times it will cause him to make mistakes. Kompany gets isolated on a regular basis whilst Terry almost never does.
    I agree with what you said about Cahill's last ditch tackles making him look good but I was talking more about how well he covers for other defenders. If someone does use pace to get past Terry (which is rare given how often people actually get the chance to run directly at him due to cover) then Cahill will be behind him ready to make a challenge or hold up play.
    In terms of build up play there are relatively even but I don't even consider that usually. I think Liverpool is absolute proof that no matter what else they can do, defenders who can't defend will not help out much.
    Kompany has less protection, that's true. They have bought Mangala for 32M. So lets see how Kompany does now.

Cahill's covers for the defence, that's what you expect from any decent defender with pace, heck David Luiz does that sometimes.

Liverpool's defenders can defend, their protection is worse than City's, their fullbacks push high up and they have Gerrard as a half back. How you going to get any decent protection when you play such an attacking style.

Also I include build up play as part of what makes a good defender, that's why under Heynckes I felt that the best CB in europe was Dante at the time. He was showing defensive masterclasses(e.g. vs Dortmund in the german cup, barca game) while also showing that he can play the ball very well. Could put him in DM and he'd probably do a good job there. This season he's been left to hang with Guardiola's high line which is a shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Kompany has less protection, that's true. They have bought Mangala for 32M. So lets see how Kompany does now.

Cahill's covers for the defence, that's what you expect from any decent defender with pace, heck David Luiz does that sometimes.

Liverpool's defenders can defend, their protection is worse than City's, their fullbacks push high up and they have Gerrard as a half back. How you going to get any decent protection when you play such an attacking style.

Also I include build up play as part of what makes a good defender, that's why under Heynckes I felt that the best CB in europe was Dante at the time. He was showing defensive masterclasses(e.g. vs Dortmund in the german cup, barca game) while also showing that he can play the ball very well. Could put him in DM and he'd probably do a good job there. This season he's been left to hang with Guardiola's high line which is a shame.
    Liverpool's defenders can't defend at all. Flanagan is alright when being run at but his positioning is average at best, he can't head it at all and he always looks 1 minute away from a red card. He launches into tackles that he can't win.
    Skrtel really can't defend, he can score the odd goal but he scores lots of own goals, he is all over attackers every time a cross comes in and looks like he will give away a penalty on every corner.
    Sakho is decent defensively although his passing is horrendous so often he will encourage another attack and also he launches himself into tackles and often misses.
    Johnson is possibly the worst at defending. He spends half his time in the wrong half and when he is in his half, he is not great. His tackling is average at best, and he lacks all footballing intelligence in terms of reading a game or marking the right player.
    Enrique is an absolute liability, he is almost impossible to get past and has immense strength but his ability to turn a simple pass into an open net for an attacker is almost unique. Occasionally he will just pass straight to a striker or duck a header letting someone behind him. He usually just pushes people over when they run past him and is very lucky to not give away more free kicks.
    Agger has no specific weaknesses but he just isn't good enough to be at a top 4 club any more. Personally I quite like him (certainly more than Skrtel) but he doesn't seem to do much, he rarely makes a tackle and he often gets caught out of position.
    I would agree that the Liverpool defence has little cover and maybe if they had more help these weaknesses wouldn't be highlighted like they are now but I think there are very few defences in the top half with less quality in.

ReputationRep:
    Think it will be Hazard. Also expect Sanchez to seamlessly adjust to life in the Prem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    Liverpool's defenders can't defend at all. Flanagan is alright when being run at but his positioning is average at best, he can't head it at all and he always looks 1 minute away from a red card. He launches into tackles that he can't win.
    Skrtel really can't defend, he can score the odd goal but he scores lots of own goals, he is all over attackers every time a cross comes in and looks like he will give away a penalty on every corner.
    Sakho is decent defensively although his passing is horrendous so often he will encourage another attack and also he launches himself into tackles and often misses.
    Johnson is possibly the worst at defending. He spends half his time in the wrong half and when he is in his half, he is not great. His tackling is average at best, and he lacks all footballing intelligence in terms of reading a game or marking the right player.
    Enrique is an absolute liability, he is almost impossible to get past and has immense strength but his ability to turn a simple pass into an open net for an attacker is almost unique. Occasionally he will just pass straight to a striker or duck a header letting someone behind him. He usually just pushes people over when they run past him and is very lucky to not give away more free kicks.
    Agger has no specific weaknesses but he just isn't good enough to be at a top 4 club any more. Personally I quite like him (certainly more than Skrtel) but he doesn't seem to do much, he rarely makes a tackle and he often gets caught out of position.
    I would agree that the Liverpool defence has little cover and maybe if they had more help these weaknesses wouldn't be highlighted like they are now but I think there are very few defences in the top half with less quality in.
    Sakho looks dodgy with the ball but most of his passes go to his man. More so than others.
    I get that with Skrtel, but again if he had more protection he'd be under less pressure.
    Agger doesn't get regular gametime unless Sakho is injured, it's very hard for him to get a run of games.
    I like Enrique, he offers width on that left hand side. Not the best crosser of the ball but he gets up and down the flanks fairly well. He's not as bad as you're making him out to be, his first season under KKKenny was pretty bad but since then he's been decent enough.

Liverpool's defence is no worse than Uniteds.

ReputationRep:
    Why isnt Messi on there

ReputationRep:
    Sakho looks dodgy with the ball but most of his passes go to his man. More so than others.
    I get that with Skrtel, but again if he had more protection he'd be under less pressure.
    Agger doesn't get regular gametime unless Sakho is injured, it's very hard for him to get a run of games.
    I like Enrique, he offers width on that left hand side. Not the best crosser of the ball but he gets up and down the flanks fairly well. He's not as bad as you're making him out to be, his first season under KKKenny was pretty bad but since then he's been decent enough.

Liverpool's defence is no worse than Uniteds.
    To be honest there is no comparison because United don't really have a defence. When United buy whichever centre back they are after (probably Hummels) and probably a right back then I could comment but at the moment there isn't a defence to talk about. Personally I really rate Phil Jones, I think he could be a fantastic player and all he needs to progress is some stability. He needs to play regularly at centre back and then he has a chance. Smalling, Evans, Rafael and Evra are all quite poor hence why they are being replaced and Shaw is nowhere near the finished product. United are not aiming the win the title this season, if they were then they would be buying big names rather than young players.
    I think that when Rodgers gets the defence sorted Liverpool will be ok (not title contenders) but he really needs to splash out a bit. I think it is time to spend big on Moreno because pulling out of a deal for the sake of £2 million in a joke for Liverpool and Bertrand or Davies are not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Nahh, it's the other way around lol, he was actually good under Kenny for most of the season, but in Rodgers' first season he was underwhelming (imo).

Enrique's a player that really splits opinion amongst Liverpool fans anyway so it's hard to really give comment on him without sounding biased. Some are huge fans of him and his defensive pace, power, robustness, others (like me) dislike the fact that he's extremely one footed and brain dead going forwards, and can sometimes switch off at the back. Under Rodgers he's not really been instructed to get crosses in anyway, he played a role in some of our great team goals at the back end of Rodgers' first season. He was so bad at points in Rodgers first season that we played him at LW. Hardly played a game last season because of his injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry McDermott)
    Nahh, it's the other way around lol, he was actually good under Kenny for most of the season, but in Rodgers' first season he was underwhelming (imo).

Enrique's a player that really splits opinion amongst Liverpool fans anyway so it's hard to really give comment on him without sounding biased. Some are huge fans of him and his defensive pace, power, robustness, others (like me) dislike the fact that he's extremely one footed and brain dead going forwards, and can sometimes switch off at the back. Under Rodgers he's not really been instructed to get crosses in anyway, he played a role in some of our great team goals at the back end of Rodgers' first season. He was so bad at points in Rodgers first season that we played him at LW. Hardly played a game last season because of his injuries.
    I disagree. Enrique started off well under Dalglish then he faded away. In particular the FA cup final.

He carried on that form under Rodgers initially(hence Wisdom and Johnson playing as the fullbacks and at times Downing) then he improved over the season and won his place back

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Enrique started off well under Dalglish then he faded away. In particular the FA cup final.

He carried on that form under Rodgers initially(hence Wisdom and Johnson playing as the fullbacks and at times Downing) then he improved over the season and won his place back
    None of that is in disagreement with anything that I said? He was lauded for his performances until around February-March under Kenny, ie most of the season. Then started playing better in December/the new year under Rodgers.

He won his place back but still wasn't spectacular lol. Split opinion massively (perhaps due to people's opinions of what they want from their fullback). The idea was always that we needed an upgrade on Enrique but it wasn't a priority last summer. This summer it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry McDermott)
    None of that is in disagreement with anything that I said? He was lauded for his performances until around February-March under Kenny, ie most of the season. Then started playing better in December/the new year under Rodgers.

He won his place back but still wasn't spectacular lol. Split opinion massively (perhaps due to people's opinions of what they want from their fullback). The idea was always that we needed an upgrade on Enrique but it wasn't a priority last summer. This summer it is.
    I didn't read it properly. Yeah I see what you mean.

Yeah I can see why he splits opinion, regardless an improvement needs to be made on him, good backup to have though. You'll probably upgrade on Johnson next summer. But the defence will improve with a consistent fullback since they're important to your system. If you swapped your fullbacks with Evertons you'd probably have won the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    In which season was he the best player in the world, or even the premier league?
    This previous season. He wasn't the best player in the world but he was the best in the premier league. I bet you would love him to be English even though he is a Muslim. At least then England won't finish bottom of their WC group. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    This previous season. He wasn't the best player in the world but he was the best in the premier league. I bet you would love him to be English even though he is a Muslim. At least then England won't finish bottom of their WC group. :lol:
    Yeh because he set the World Cup alight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's generally accepted that Suarez was the best in the league last season. Toure was second. Less of your racism please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    It's generally accepted that Suarez was the best in the league last season. Toure was second. Less of your racism please.
    Suarez has a good case but so does Toure. And where is the racism?

(Original post by pane123)
    Yeh because he set the World Cup alight.
    He still is a world class player something which England don't have.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez has a good case but so does Toure. And where is the racism?

He still is a world class player something which England don't have.
    Suarez has a better case. The racism is picking someone because they're non-white and a muslim as you are clearly doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Stylo92: "Why isn't Ross Barkley on this list?"
    Except I didn't say that he was?

:lol:

Then you see his sig with that man and the opening credits to some show.
    Yep, that is indeed my sig.

Great banter guys.

ReputationRep:
    Yaya Toure.

Closely followed by Hazard. If Sturridge/Aguero could stay fit for a season then it could easily be either of those two as well.

ReputationRep:
    I voted RVP. Don't think he's the best, but I think he will fire Utd back into the CL and have a great season.

ReputationRep:
    I think there will be a lot of media attention for Raheem Sterling. Exciting, attacking wingers always get lots of attention and he's English to boot.

I think in terms of performances Aguero will remind us all just how good he is without injury.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.