Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What mobile phone are you most excited about owning next? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: If you could own any phone which would you own?
    Apple iPhone 5S
    19.09%
    iPhone 5C / other iphone
    7.27%
    LG G3
    1.82%
    LG Nexus 5
    10.00%
    Samsung galaxy Note 3
    5.45%
    Motorola Moto G
    1.82%
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    18.18%
    HTC One
    11.82%
    Sony Xperia Z2
    4.55%
    Nokia Lumia 1020
    2.73%
    Other choice (mention in post)
    11.82%
    I don't use/have no need for a mobile
    5.45%

ReputationRep:
    None

There's nothing new. A massive slowdown in innovation was expected. The smartphone tech is fairly mature now. Super fast charging is the only real feature I'd want in my current phone, but I can live without it. There's nothing that's excited me much in a long time.

I want to see more integration with computers and laptops. It looks like only Apple will be doing this which is a shame. 'continuity ' is a nice concept by them. Let's see if Apple , Google and company can realise it. if NFC payment can finally take off that would be nice too.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    One Plus One

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy with my current phone (S4). It doesn all I need it to, and much more - plus I can get 4G if I tweak the settings.

Let's hope it can last me a few more years (how long does a smartphone last nowadays, before it is outdated and needs upgrading?)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I'm happy with my current phone (S4). It doesn all I need it to, and much more - plus I can get 4G if I tweak the settings.

Let's hope it can last me a few more years (how long does a smartphone last nowadays, before it is outdated and needs upgrading?)
    A year? Maybe 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nexus 6
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    A year? Maybe 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh dear, was hoping that I could get a bit longer out of it

I'll probably stick with Samsung's as they have always served me well.

ReputationRep:
    I have the S3, and the S5 looks like it will do just nicely for an upgrade.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

When is it outdated? When it doesn't do everything you want it to. When does it need upgrading? When the issues you have with it outweigh the desire to not spend moneybon a new one. From a technical standpoint your S4 may not receive further the upcoming Android L and it almost certainly will not receive anything after that, but if you aren't having problems with it then there's no necessity to upgrade.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    When is it outdated? When it doesn't do everything you want it to. When does it need upgrading? When the issues you have with it outweigh the desire to not spend money on a new one. From a technical standpoint your S4 may not receive further the upcoming Android L and it almost certainly will not receive anything after that, but if you aren't having problems with it then there's no necessity to upgrade.
    Thanks Gofre, that's a good point. I'm currently happy with my S4 as is, and as long as I don't run into any big problems (i.e. apps not working anymore/not being able to update due to age) then I'm fine.
    Even my old Ace Plus (on 2.3) still works fine with most apps on the store, so I don't see that as a problem yet.

As for Android Lollipop (if that is even it's name) - well, I have no intentions whatsoever to install Kitkat, due to SD card limitations and worse battery life - so I won't be upgrading the S4 to any other OS (other than 4.2.2 - current) until these issues are fixed.

My S4 even supports LTE/4G - which I'm happy with, so unless I run into any problems with the current phone, and there are significant improvements to be found when upgrading, I'll be staying on my S4.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have an iPhone and I'll probably get the iPhone 6. Never been a fan of getting the 's' version of an iPhone, as it's essentially just a bit faster/other tech changes that aren't really too noticable. I'm looking forward to the extra screen size on the new iPhone, as I've always been of the opinion that the only thing the Samsung Galaxy's have over the iPhone is the larger screen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, was hoping that I could get a bit longer out of it

I'll probably stick with Samsung's as they have always served me well.
    Well, no, I was kidding.
    It really depends what phone, iphones get a bit longer than android purely by virtue of them getting updates for longer, and now things seem to be stagnating a bit, s5 is basically just a s4 a d 5s is basically just a 5 and the likes. Personally, I like to sit on 2 years since that's how long most contrqcts seem to last
    Although it's also not hard to pull even longer out of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well, no, I was kidding.
    It really depends what phone, iphones get a bit longer than android purely by virtue of them getting updates for longer, and now things seem to be stagnating a bit, s5 is basically just a s4 a d 5s is basically just a 5 and the likes. Personally, I like to sit on 2 years since that's how long most contracts seem to last
    Although it's also not hard to pull even longer out of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay then

I know how Apple manages their update system: the top end phone becomes the mid range phone after 1 year, the entry phone 2 years later, stops being sold after 3 years (though still gets an update), after then support for that model is pulled.

In terms of Android updates, it just depends on the phone and manufacturer. Even low end phones, that don't get updates anymore, are still sold.

Yeah the stagnation thing is what I've noticed; apart from the iPhone 6/6+ (larger screens - well overdue!) there doesn't seem to be any major improvements nowadays with new models of phone.

I know that after 2 years, you usually buy a new phone (do people still keep their old phones? I know we do) if you got it on contract - I went for the sim only option and bought the phone outright - gives me more flexibility of network/phone (hopefully that means I can get shot of Virgin Mobile soon)

So for me, I think the factor will be when the next phone comes out that will be a big improvement over my current one. Or when my current one fails.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Okay then

I know how Apple manages their update system: the top end phone becomes the mid range phone after 1 year, the entry phone 2 years later, stops being sold after 3 years (though still gets an update), after then support for that model is pulled.

In terms of Android updates, it just depends on the phone and manufacturer. Even low end phones, that don't get updates anymore, are still sold.

Yeah the stagnation thing is what I've noticed; apart from the iPhone 6/6+ (larger screens - well overdue!) there doesn't seem to be any major improvements nowadays with new models of phone.

I know that after 2 years, you usually buy a new phone (do people still keep their old phones? I know we do) if you got it on contract - I went for the sim only option and bought the phone outright - gives me more flexibility of network/phone (hopefully that means I can get shot of Virgin Mobile soon)

So for me, I think the factor will be when the next phone comes out that will be a big improvement over my current one. Or when my current one fails.
    Well I was thinking the iphone bit in that they keep updating iOS whereas most android phones will only get 1 major update, maybe two if they're lucky, and even that is well after the new OS is actually available

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well I was thinking the iphone bit in that they keep updating iOS whereas most android phones will only get 1 major update, maybe two if they're lucky, and even that is well after the new OS is actually available

Posted from TSR Mobile
    a) depends on the phone manufacturer/carrier. some networks/companies are quicker at getting the updates out than others. The Nexus phones get their updates very quickly, whereas other companies don't deliver updates that quickly
    b) also depends on which phone. Most flagship phones get at least 2 updates, sometimes even 3. The S4 started out on 4.2, then went to 4.3 and 4.4. It is also probably (from what I have found out) that Samsung will give the S4 the Lollipop update too. (However, I have stayed on 4.2, because of issues with 4.4) - however, slightly lower spec phones might only get the one update)

Also, if you're experienced enough, and you want a new O\S, you can root an Android, and put a newer OS on it (though I am not experienced enough to do this!) However, I'd only ever root your phone if your warranty has expired, or you don't care about your warranty.

ReputationRep:
    After my contract is finished, I want to buy iPhone 6s.

Although, if I could have any phone, I would love to get something similar to the kalos pokedex in pokemon because it's compact, holographic and based on the things it went through, ridiculously durable and the battery life must be amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    a) depends on the phone manufacturer/carrier. some networks/companies are quicker at getting the updates out than others. The Nexus phones get their updates very quickly, whereas other companies don't deliver updates that quickly
    b) also depends on which phone. Most flagship phones get at least 2 updates, sometimes even 3. The S4 started out on 4.2, then went to 4.3 and 4.4. It is also probably (from what I have found out) that Samsung will give the S4 the Lollipop update too. (However, I have stayed on 4.2, because of issues with 4.4) - however, slightly lower spec phones might only get the one update)

Also, if you're experienced enough, and you want a new O\S, you can root an Android, and put a newer OS on it (though I am not experienced enough to do this!) However, I'd only ever root your phone if your warranty has expired, or you don't care about your warranty.
    If nexus didn't get its updates quick I would be concerned given it's Google that makes them, it's like a new iOS coming out and Apple waiting for 6 months to update their phones to it
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am excited I just bought a Samsung Galaxy s5.I haven't even picked it up yet but I am really excited about it.new phones are awesome.I just love black friday sales in America. I got this galaxy s5 for $1.Black Friday sales are happening earlier and earlier in America every year.I am also excited I got steroid injection in my shoulder today.pain free.

ReputationRep:
    I've had the M7, now have the M8, can't wait for the 'M9' which it won't be called but you get the point. I want the next HTC! March 2015 hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend HTC One or One Mini to anyone, I've had one for about half a year and it's just so bad..the most annoying thing is the battery which I freakin kid you not, lasts a maximum of an hour (I'm being too generous) of constant use. Spare use and it turns into 2. If you do absolutely nothing on it then yes, the battery could even last a day, but that can become unpractical.

i looove (buying) IT products x3 I've dreamt of Galaxy Note for forever and a half, I really want it, but realistically I'm considering a nexus..will have to look at reviews with battery life and performances and all of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iama)
    I wouldn't recommend HTC One or One Mini to anyone, I've had one for about half a year and it's just so bad..the most annoying thing is the battery which I freakin kid you not, lasts a maximum of an hour (I'm being too generous) of constant use. Spare use and it turns into 2. If you do absolutely nothing on it then yes, the battery could even last a day, but that can become unpractical.

i looove (buying) IT products x3 I've dreamt of Galaxy Note for forever and a half, I really want it, but realistically I'm considering a nexus..will have to look at reviews with battery life and performances and all of that
    I have a HTC One and the battery is one of the best things about the phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.