Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doing 6/7 A-Levels at Sixth Form. Manageable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    :troll::troll::troll:

ReputationRep:
    The simple fact is this :

No University insists on more than 3 A Levels. It is therefore POINTLESS doing more A2s than this. Even Oxford will not choose someone with 5, 6 or 7 A levels because they have more than the required 3. All they are interested in is 3 appropriate predictions and an array of sensible GCSE grades, plus a well written PS. That will get you an interview.

If you just want to show off then do 7 A levels. But it wont get you into Oxford any faster or mean your experience at Oxford is any better or that you get a better class degree at the end of it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAIYEKO)
    Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
    Further Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Geology
    French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.
    If you want to have a social life and time for extra-curriculars, I recommend you shorten it down. I think WhatUni says on their page that unis don't give extra credit for having more than 4 A Levels, only Oxbridge do and that's only if you do 5 at the max.

According to my teachers, for an A*-B grade, you do an hour of home study with every lesson. You'll typically have 5 hours a week of a subject, so adding in study time you're looking at 10 hours per subject. If you multiply that by 7 (your potential subjects), you're looking at 70 hours a week of study. Essentially you've got 98 hours of non-studying a week. If you factor in your recommended 8 hours sleep time, you've got 42 hours a week left. Which isn't exactly healthy.

With A Levels, quality not quantity is essential. Perhaps take 5 and do some work experience or an EPQ if you really want to diversify.

By the way, if French is your first language, universities will ignore an A Level in French.

Good luck with your GCSE results and all the best in Year 12.

ReputationRep:
    No 1) Wrong reason to want to study at university.
    No 2) I've heard Oxbridge is actually very bad for medicine. In fact, it's got a very bad culture.
    No 3) Only you know how clever you are. imo, 6 is far too much. Idk, but you'll have a lot on your plate. Why do you think you're so smart?

ReputationRep:
    Please correct me if I'm mistaken about these phrases, but for someone who says things like "easy compared to AS let along A2", "timetable would be personified for me", "If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels", "French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities", and can't remember which order points were made in a post they had just read (post 11 reply). I sincerely doubt your ability to do what you think you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushto)
    Please correct me if I'm mistaken about these phrases, but for someone who says things like "easy compared to AS let along A2", "timetable would be personified for me", "If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels", "French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities", and can't remember which order points were made in a post they had just read (post 11 reply). I sincerely doubt your ability to do what you think you can.
    This. Also 'contemplating on'

ReputationRep:
    Pick maths , further maths , physics and another science subject . Because for engineering or medicine thats what all Unis care about .
    if you manage to get A's in all you would most definitely get an interview
    if you're bright one you'll get an offer
    then make sure you can get what you need. keep in mind you will have STEP exams as well.

P.S i didnt apply to Oxbridge but 11 of my classmates did.
    3 got offers the rest rejected even though they had straight A*s in GCSE and straight A's in AS (mostly did 4 or 5 subjects excluding general studies and Bac)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smile:D)
    This. Also 'contemplating on'
    Ahh didn't notice that one, that's pretty much 1 for every post made by them I think. Also there are a lot of posts from people assuming smartness, but I read the initial one and I don't actually see any evidence, just them saying that people say gcses are a doddle compared to AS+A2 but no results :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAIYEKO)
    Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
    Further Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Geology
    French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.
    My advice would be to only take on subjects you feel well able to get at least A grades in, if you were to take seven subjects and get say four A-A* grades with the others say D grades, your application would have looked better with just taking the four best subjects, and like many have said even for Oxbridge three or four very top grades are enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dynostatic)
    Pick maths , further maths , physics and another science subject . Because for engineering or medicine thats what all Unis care about .
    then make sure you can get what you need. keep in mind you will have STEP exams as well.

3 got offers the rest rejected even though they had straight A*s in GCSE and straight A's in AS (mostly did 4 or 5 subjects excluding general studies and Bac)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For medicine at least, Oxford shortlists people based on their % of A* in their Gcse's and BMAT score; therefore having lots of A-level does not put you in an advantage over others. it's even mentioned in their website, research and have a look for yourself.

i am not entirely sure about cambridge but they shortlist by looking at your BMAT and your AS level, so you might want to consider Cambridge rather then Oxford if you really want to be competitive and really believe that you will do really well and get 7* in your A-levels. otherwise i would only do 5 (maximum) because they only want you to get A*AA typically.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:

What utterly bizarre advice for a Medicine application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    What utterly bizarre advice for a Medicine application.
    He said, he is to decide between engineering and medicine (Read the topic first )
    for engineering that combination is exactly what unis want and to be on the safe side in case he wants to do medicine he can choose Biology as the forth .
    if he doesn't choose maths , further maths and physics there is absolutely no way he can get an offer from oxbridge.

and if you think its bizarre, why don't you say what you recommend .
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    He said, he is to decide between engineering and medicine (Read the topic first )
    for engineering that combination is exactly what unis want and to be on the safe side in case he wants to do medicine he can choose Biology as the forth .
    if he doesn't choose maths , further maths and physics there is absolutely no way he can get an offer from oxbridge.

You have to have Chem for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You need A-level chemistry for medicine, so choosing maths, further maths, physics and biology will not get him in anywhere for medicine. A lot of medical schools require biology, and those that don't will still find it strange why somebody hasn't picked it if they're doing maths, fm, physics and chem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    You need A-level chemistry for medicine, so choosing maths, further maths, physics and biology will not get him in anywhere for medicine. A lot of medical schools require biology, and those that don't will still find it strange why somebody hasn't picked it if they're doing maths, fm, physics and chem.
    in that case if he hasn't made up his mind about what he wants to do maybe he has to 5 subjects in AS then drop one.

sorry didnt know about chem, thought they only needed biology and another science.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to sound like a pain, but I have currently just finished my AS-levels, and am looking to do my A2 next year, I am also a very capable student, having got straight A*s in my GCSEs and looking at straight As in AS and A*s in A2, doing 4 subjects (English Literature, Maths, Chemistry and French). I'm going to put it to you simply, it is pointless doing 7 A-levels, as to get in to Oxbridge they only require 3. I myself am looking at Oxbridge and know for sure (having spent hours looking over prospectus') that doing 7 A-levels WILL compromise the grades you receive at the end. A-levels are much more difficult than I believe you are thinking, and no matter how academic a person, the stress will be unbearable.
    Although I love my French A-level, for your chosen subjects French and Geology are unnecessary.
    You are far better off just studying the 5 AS levels, and 4 or 5 A-levels if you can cope.
    Oxbridge not only look at your academic ability and potential but also you as a person, you need to truly have a passion for your chosen subject, work experience, reading and an amazing personal statement, showing a well rounded person are much more likely to bag you a place at Oxbridge!!

Best of luck
    P.s. another answer was correct, neither medicine or engineering will make you rich; think more economics (international banking etc).

ReputationRep:
    The step up from GCSE to AS Level is massive not to mention A2. Some people don't even manage 4 A Levels, so to think that you will cope with the work load doing 6-7 subjects you should think again..
    If you want to boost your candidate profile for Oxbridge I suggest partaking in extra curricular activities rather than extra pointless subjects. As it will show that you have a wide range of skills to offer the university.

I had a boy from my Politics class that got into Oxford on 3 A Levels. It would be best to speak to the UCAS department at your sixth form or the universities directly.
    Best wishes

ReputationRep:
    No - for most subjects you only need to do three (some don't mind 4 if they like maths and further maths). For my subject, Human Sciences, they discourage 4 as if you end up getting the 2 B's and then an A* and an A or whatever you won't get in.

Most other subjects are the same and I have never come across anyone who has ever done more than 4 A levels and the vast majority did 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGM)
    No - for most subjects you only need to do three (some don't mind 4 if they like maths and further maths). For my subject, Human Sciences, they discourage 4 as if you end up getting the 2 B's and then an A* and an A or whatever you won't get in.

Most other subjects are the same and I have never come across anyone who has ever done more than 4 A levels and the vast majority did 3.
    I'd say doing more than the standard 4&3 combo would only give you a real, tangible advantage for NatSci at Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.