Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)

Code:
    Workout A
    Squats			5x5	52.5kg	Increase of 2.5kg
    Bench press		6x5	35kg	Increase of 1 set
    Bench press I had a little problem with as I couldn't get ahold of any 1.25kg weights.
    What happened to the ones that you were using for squats just before that?

Think you're going to catch me on something before long, I started about 10-15kg ahead of you on everything!
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    Some seriously good progress
    Hey buddy, cheers! I'm Michelangelo's David trapped in stone. Just chip, chip, chipping away.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    What happened to the ones that you were using for squats just before that?
    Someone was using the squat rack when I first arrived so actually I did bench press first. Later when the squat rack was free there were a couple of 1.25kg weights available. Sharp eyes though dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)

Nutrition is failing miserably. Finding it so hard to eat enough food - if I'm busy all morning at work I don't necessarily have time to take a break to eat 2nd breakfast, which sabotages me completely. Need to get this aspect of my programme under wraps as it must be affecting my progress.
    I take extra food for "lunch" and eat the extra while I work at my desk mid morning.
    No one complains because I'm still working (at least here, don't take my word that It'll be the same where you work), just with a mouthful of food.
    Good way to get a couple of hundred extra calories in (currently trying to fill out as a 77, 73/74 atm), and helps keep me focused in the run up to lunch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeal to reason)
    I take extra food for "lunch" and eat the extra while I work at my desk mid morning.
    No one complains because I'm still working (at least here, don't take my word that It'll be the same where you work), just with a mouthful of food.
    Good way to get a couple of hundred extra calories in (currently trying to fill out as a 77, 73/74 atm), and helps keep me focused in the run up to lunch.
    Thanks for the tip! Yeah, eating at work is a must I find. Usually I manage between 700-1000 calories before lunch. But if I'm busy and don't have much time at my desk (for example, last week I did a lot of work in the electrical lab), I don't get the luxury of eating while I work and it screws me over by a whole meal's worth, which is sometimes impossible to fix due to my schedule.

What kind of food to you take with you?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The thing to understand about my life is that it's full of thrills and catastrophe in equal measure. One day I'm sipping pina coladas and living the dream, another I'm in the trenches, facing life's struggles on the front line. One minute you're hirin', firin' and perspirin', the next you're surrounded on all sides, wondering if you're gonna make it. And you can never tell which way it's gonna go.

I woke up feeling pumped today. Ready for success. I had no cereal or milk for 1st breakfast but I wasn't gonna let that hold me back. I was raring to go. Gym bag packed, headphones on, sunglasses to shield rays left and right. Out the house and to the train station. Everything was perfect. Then, as I took my seat and looked out the window, catastrophe struck. It was my gym bag. It was at home.

:closedeyes:

Life's very conspiratorial like that. It conspires for your success one moment, then for your failure the next. Life's fickle. Doesn't like taking sides. Whatever way it goes it doesn't let things get too comfortable - it always wants to shake things up. As the train left the station I realised life had thrown me a curve ball. But what do you do when you get thrown a curve ball? You hit it anyway. Pow!

What did Hannibal say when the the Alps stood in his way? "Step aside, Alps." Such resolve. So much raw will and determination. The power in his eyes. Would Hannibal have quit if he left his gym bag in Carthage? No way, José! Hardships abound. It's days like these that really test your mettle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    The thing to understand about my life is that it's full of thrills and catastrophe in equal measure. One day I'm sipping pina coladas and living the dream, another I'm in the trenches, facing life's struggles on the front line. One minute you're hirin', firin' and perspirin', the next you're surrounded on all sides, wondering if you're gonna make it. And you can never tell which way it's gonna go.

I woke up feeling pumped today. Ready for success. I had no cereal or milk for 1st breakfast but I wasn't gonna let that hold me back. I was raring to go. Gym bag packed, headphones on, sunglasses to shield rays left and right. Out the house and to the train station. Everything was perfect. Then, as I took my seat and looked out the window, catastrophe struck. It was my gym bag. It was at home.

Life's very conspiratorial like that. It conspires for your success one moment, then for your failure the next. Life's fickle. Doesn't like taking sides. Whatever way it goes it doesn't let things get too comfortable - it always wants to shake things up. As the train left the station I realised life had thrown me a curve ball. But what do you do when you get thrown a curve ball? You hit it anyway. Pow!

What did Hannibal say when the the Alps stood in his way? "Step aside, Alps." Such resolve. So much raw will and determination. The power in his eyes. Would Hannibal have quit if he left his gym bag in Carthage? No way, José! Hardships abound. It's days like these that really test your mettle.

I know that feel bro. Went to go to the gym last week and my bike battery was dead so i had to charge it.
    It's a really weird feeling when you're all ready to go to the gym then suddenly can't...

Then i've been too busy with packing up my house/organizing things to go to the gym. I find if it's not the number 1 priority for your day then it's too easy for it to be knocked down and not done...
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I know that feel bro. Went to go to the gym last week and my bike battery was dead so i had to charge it.
    It's a really weird feeling when you're all ready to go to the gym then suddenly can't...

Then i've been too busy with packing up my house/organizing things to go to the gym. I find if it's not the number 1 priority for your day then it's too easy for it to be knocked down and not done...
    Yeah. I'm just going to go home after work then grab my bag and go to my Sunday gym. It's inconvenient as hell and will probably be busy by that point but life's not all plum blossoms and scented lily pads.

What you say about it having to be #1 priority is spot on as well I think and holds for a lot of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Yeah. I'm just going to go home after work then grab my bag and go to my Sunday gym. It's inconvenient as hell and will probably be busy by that point but life's not all plum blossoms and scented lily pads.

What you say about it having to be #1 priority is spot on as well I think and holds for a lot of things.

I've gone for 6+ months before not missing a single session. Last few weeks i've had job interviews, trips to things, long nights at work, packing stress. Time with the gf is down a lot because of these things. Then i need to choose whether to do ditch her for over half of this small time we have together to go to the gym. It's so easy after you put off one session to put it off again, then to go to the next one, then skip that.

Tbh i'm not planning on competing again until Next Feb time so it'll not really matter.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I've gone for 6+ months before not missing a single session. Last few weeks i've had job interviews, trips to things, long nights at work, packing stress. Time with the gf is down a lot because of these things. Then i need to choose whether to do ditch her for over half of this small time we have together to go to the gym. It's so easy after you put off one session to put it off again, then to go to the next one, then skip that.

Tbh i'm not planning on competing again until Next Feb time so it'll not really matter.
    That's an awesome achievement. I think that's the power of being really clear on your priorities. And I think really sticking to something is great for your self-esteem too, since it shows that despite how hectic everything might be getting around you, you're still pushing yourself forward and never letting it defeat you, which a lot of people don't manage.

And yeah, missing sessions is really dangerous. It can be so tempting not to go sometimes, and if you give in just once, all of a sudden you're on a very slippery slope that's much easier to go further down than back up. I imagine for you going to the gym transcends issues of motivation and so on. It's just what you have to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    That's an awesome achievement. I think that's the power of being really clear on your priorities. And I think really sticking to something is great for your self-esteem too, since it shows that despite how hectic everything might be getting around you, you're still pushing yourself forward and never letting it defeat you, which a lot of people don't manage.

And yeah, missing sessions is really dangerous. It can be so tempting not to go sometimes, and if you give in just once, all of a sudden you're on a very slippery slope that's much easier to go further down than back up. I imagine for you going to the gym transcends issues of motivation and so on. It's just what you have to do.

I enjoyed reading that first paragrpah.

I think the gym is just a symbol for how organised my life is right now which is a complete mess. I've needed a haircut for weeks, I need to shave and jsut get things sorted. I think if i can grab a quick haircut on the way home, and maybe sneak in a small quick gym session i'd feel 1000* better about everything.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed reading that first paragrpah.

I think the gym is just a symbol for how organised my life is right now which is a complete mess. I've needed a haircut for weeks, I need to shave and jsut get things sorted. I think if i can grab a quick haircut on the way home, and maybe sneak in a small quick gym session i'd feel 1000* better about everything.
    Do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)

that was actually very inspirational.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    that was actually very inspirational.
    Thanks! :yy: A couple of people told me they read my blog for motivation, so I thought, yeah! Why not add a bit of passion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Do it!
    I did it. Haircut + super late night gym session. Very quick one but felt awesome. (Like one hour so half my usual session length)
    (Not updated my log yet)
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I did it. Haircut + super late night gym session. Very quick one but felt awesome. (Like one hour so half my usual session length)
    (Not updated my log yet)
    Well done buddy!! Feels good to exert that self-control.

I didn't gym it yesterday as it started hammering it down... But I realised I have 4 rest days per week, so I could get away with moving one. Felt good to have a second chance. Brought my gym kit into work today and I'm psyched to get out there and raise 55kg of hell.

I thought of getting a bike or something so even if it is raining a lot I can still get to the gym in a worst-case-scenario and not get drenched, but I'll pass my driving test soonish so I'm not sure it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Well done buddy!! Feels good to exert that self-control.

I didn't gym it yesterday as it started hammering it down... But I realised I have 4 rest days per week, so I could get away with moving one. Felt good to have a second chance. Brought my gym kit into work today and I'm psyched to get out there and raise 55kg of hell.

I thought of getting a bike or something so even if it is raining a lot I can still get to the gym in a worst-case-scenario and not get drenched, but I'll pass my driving test soonish so I'm not sure it's worth it.
    I am normally the most organised person but had just not gone for a while.(Well, the first few days i tried and bike didn't work then TSr results day, then i was just lazy over the weekend whilst packing/taking things to the dump, i was knackered by the evening)

I just did some light pausie fronties up to 110kg for a few triples. Strict press up to 70kg*4 and some light deadlifts with straps. Straps are weird.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I am normally the most organised person but had just not gone for a while.(Well, the first few days i tried and bike didn't work then TSr results day, then i was just lazy over the weekend whilst packing/taking things to the dump, i was knackered by the evening)
    For all my effort into being organised I'm not very organised. It's the number one thing I want to address at the moment.

I just did some light pausie fronties up to 110kg for a few triples. Strict press up to 70kg*4 and some light deadlifts with straps. Straps are weird.
    Cool! Not that I know about pausie fronties or triples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Cool! Not that I know about pausie fronties or triples.

A pausie is a paused squat.

A frontie is a front squat.

A pausie frontie is a paused front squat.

A triple is a set of three reps.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    A pausie is a paused squat.

A frontie is a front squat.

A pausie frontie is a paused front squat.

A triple is a set of three reps.
    I like gym lingo.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.