Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite foods/drinks that you can't get in this country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    LOS CHURROS

SUPER DICKMANNS

ReputationRep:
    I am Portuguese in the UK now for 5 months... and I miss almost all the portuguese food and pastries... goodness, don't remind me... *.* codfish with cream, custard cups... *.*

like our very traditional custard cups:

[img]
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/MargaretCafe_PasteisDeNata.JPG[/img]

and codfish with cream (and potatoes and many times cheese on top.... hmmm):

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Yep, they're Dutch! There's a ton of ways to make them, I believe the most common is eggs, flour and milk (sometimes sugar too) but I exchange the eggs for brown sugar due to allergies. They taste great!
    Ooh, I shall try some soon. I'm on holiday there right now, how timely!

Stroopwaffels are soo much better & cheaper in holland
    7up cherry is really good too
    Arizona peach iced tea is soo good, almost as good as the one at Wagamama's, pretty sure it's gonna take up most of my luggage space

ReputationRep:
    Never been abroad, and I don't know if this counts, but here goes.
    Mother used to live in South Africa. Fast forward to now, and we found a South African store that imports stuff from SA.
    My favourite thing there is a chocolate bar called Milo. Wish I could get it from supermarkets here. It's a pain paying £2.60 a time for one bar of Milo. They also have Cadbury's Astros in SA. They are yummy. Again, not cheap here (£1.65-ish for a 75g box) but so worth it

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's peanut butter M&Ms. Like a lot of things, you can get them in small packets from certain 'candy' shops, but they are ridiculously priced and I refuse to pay it. I just wish I'd have brought more home <3

(Original post by Bude8)
    I frequently hear about how good Taco Bell is in the USA. I'd really like to try some tbh.
    They have a few over here. I have been to the one in Manchester. It was a let down

(Original post by Short but Sweet)

I used to love getting these on holiday, haven't seen them in a while though! also love Mountain Dew, I've had the Mountain Dew energy here and it tasted awful!
    There's a fair few places here that sell Maxibons! I have bought them at ice cream vans and also from Asda. They don't seem to taste the same though. I think that's just me maybe preferring them on holiday though in general .
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_1991)
    Also, all the range of Milka and Ritter Sport chocolate available in Europe.
    And so cheap (in Germany at least)! About 90c a bar if you go to the cheap supermarkets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    One just opened up on my local high st a week ago !!!!
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    If you go to anfield I think theres one there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay! Thanks for letting me know guys

ReputationRep:
    Fanta Blackcurrant!!! :drool:

Get it every time I go back to Kenya!!
    Attached Images

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serebro)
    SUPER DICKMANNS

Oh yes! Saw them in the supermarket and had to pick them up for the name alone. They were pretty tasty too.

For me, it's a good German Kartoffelsalat.

Good old Edeka with their Gut und Günstig!

ReputationRep:
    Churros! With the amazing chocolate to dip in :drool: I know they maybe sell them at food festivals but I hardly ever see them in the UK, i'm not sure why as they are amazingly tasty and nourish.

ReputationRep:
    Oregano lays

ReputationRep:
    Only one thing. And that's Pepsi Blue. The greatest flavour ever made.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  79.3 KB

ReputationRep:

:cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Fried and spicy snails in Belgium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veralucia91)
    I am Portuguese in the UK now for 5 months... and I miss almost all the portuguese food and pastries... goodness, don't remind me... *.* codfish with cream, custard cups... *.*

like our very traditional custard cups:

[img]
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/MargaretCafe_PasteisDeNata.JPG[/img]

and codfish with cream (and potatoes and many times cheese on top.... hmmm):

Hey!! How are you adapting to the UK? I'm thinking about moving next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elisabetev)
    Hey!! How are you adapting to the UK? I'm thinking about moving next year
    Hi! I sent you a private message! =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceryni)
    Fanta Blackcurrant!!! :drool:

Get it every time I go back to Kenya!!
    That sounds delicious! I don't know why we don't get all the cool foreign Fanta flavours...

ReputationRep:
    Stroopwaffles
    Salmorejo
    Lemon Doritos
    The many types of Haribo that don't exist here
    Empanadas
    Tablet (Scottish sweet, very difficult if not impossible to find in England)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    Stroopwaffles
    Salmorejo
    Lemon Doritos
    The many types of Haribo that don't exist here
    Empanadas
    Tablet (Scottish sweet, very difficult if not impossible to find in England)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    just to,let you know that you can get stroopwaffles in tesco. Mini ones and full size. I love them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larissa14)
    just to,let you know that you can get stroopwaffles in tesco. Mini ones and full size. I love them
    Why didn't I know this?? Thanks, I will look out for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.