Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm concerned that people don't read the OP's situation properly before posting.......

Anyway- I was brought up to be open minded and accept anyone. So I would ask if any person would want to join in with any said activity, regardless of their background. E.g., could be an atheist but would not drink for health reasons etc.. or if they have any eating preferences I'd just work around them... eg vegetarian or halal, or vegan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiina_Tee)
    Lol what? Religion is the most irrelevant thing. I shared a house with a Sikh Atheist and Christian we just divided the fridge and put meat at the bottom it's minor and only becomes a problem if you make it. Most of my friends at Uni were Muslim and I'd happily eat a bacon sandwich in front if them. Most Muslims understand the world is not going to change their dietary requirements for them.. They're used to it. If we eat out all we do is either find a Halal Restaurant or they eat vegetarian.

Muslims and any other religion for that matter when you meet these people in real life don't expect you to change anything because if their religion.

People on TSR can be so ignorant and oblivious to the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for speaking some sense. I don't understand what goes through the minds of half the people on here.

ReputationRep:
    People need to read posts before getting on their high horse.

But OP - truthfully I wouldn't really care. As long as they weren't the sort of person to push their beliefs on me or judge me without getting to know me then why would I?

There's more to university than just drinking and I've had some friends who didn't drink throughout university and they tended to be the ones laughing the next day because they didn't have a hangover and could see how ridiculous some people were acting!

ReputationRep:
    I lived in a flat with a Muslim, someone's religion is hardly relevant to whether I will like or be friends with someone. This person is now one of my best friends. They're not going to try and constantly covert you to Islam. Calm down.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be cool with it to be honest. I'm a Christian and don't drink for personal reasons (lol more so to protect myself from acting like a damnnn fool haha its happened!) I still went out with my house mates in first year and had a great time. Some people need alcohol to have fun others don't. I also realised not to make a big deal out of it, if people asked me I used to crack a little joke about it. Also, there should be an Islamic society at your uni, so you can make friends there too. Don't worry about it, have fun, be confident and own it.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, I lived with two and they committed more sins in a year than I have in my life according to their holy book.

ReputationRep:
    I think the majority of people would be cool with it. It's sad to know that you're paranoid about this! You shouldn't be, I'd only ever be disappointed with a room mate if they were a ****ty person, not over whether they drink or whatever. Actually, it would probably be great to have a friend whose social life doesn't revolve around alcohol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    Uh, I lived with two and they committed more sins in a year than I have in my life according to their holy book.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    so basically you're a muslim that drinks and doesnt give a **** yet you ended up with another muslim in the hall? just get over it and live your life and not worry about him.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind, as it would make me feel more comfortable having someone else who doesnt drink (i do but very little). race doesnt bother me, having being brought up not to judge someone based on what their background is etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.