Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which University takes your breathe away for the pretty buildings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSheep32)
    Chancellor's Court and University Square (in front of the library/Arts building/Law building) are gorgeous, and look so nice in summer. Wish the people who'd built Biosciences, Chem West and the Sports Centre (and that whole end of campus in general) had had the same idea
    The same issue with the annexation of the Portland Building at Nottingham. Why don't they just use the traditional design instead of the cheaper modern option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mansun)
    The same issue with the annexation of the Portland Building at Nottingham. Why don't they just use the traditional design instead of the cheaper modern option?
    Because it's cheap lol, no-one can resist cheaper stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Because it's cheap lol, no-one can resist cheaper stuff.
    I noticed Oxford tried to cover up some cheap shabby looking accommodation as an annexation to the historical buildings, and paint them in the same colour, hoping nobody would notice. It looks dreadful and insulting for a university over a 1000 years old.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed Oxford tried to cover up some cheap shabby looking accommodation as an annexation to the historical buildings, and paint them in the same colour, hoping nobody would notice. It looks dreadful and insulting for a university over a 1000 years old.

Having seen some of their work rooms I'm absolutely dreaded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Having seen some of their work rooms I'm absolutely dreaded.
    It goes to show how cash-strapped the UK universities are. Nottingham has expanded student numbers considerably and opened campuses abroad to raise more revenue to re-invest on their campuses. Durham and St Andrews haven't spent anything, and their buildings and facilities inside are below what you would expect given their prestige.

ReputationRep:
    Bath is very pretty.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you did visit the Notts university, this is what you would see:-

THAT is just SO beautiful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gorwell)
    THAT is just SO beautiful
    The main campus is HUGE, and you can't possibly see it all in one visit. In my 3 years there I still hadn't seen some hidden gems mentioned in the prospectus, like the millennium gardens. There were one or two dream mansions on campus that students could actually apply to live in. But they didn't advertise it widely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Rooney)
    Has to be Glasgow uni for me.
    I think the main building at Glasgow looks much better close up than from a distance. Is Glasgow as reputable as Edinburgh in Scotland? Do many English students go there?

ReputationRep:
    I think the main building at Glasgow looks much better close up than from a distance. Is Glasgow as reputable as Edinburgh in Scotland? Do many English students go there?
    Glasgow does look much better in person. As for your question, a lot of English students attend Glasgow, reputation is purely subjective, Glasgow and Edinburgh seem to be on par with each other in Scotland while St. Andrews ranks above. Nightlife in Glasgow is far better than Edin and St A. League tables are misleading tbh... It really depends on your subject/degree. For example, Glasgow ranks in the top 5 for Vet med, dentistry and medicine in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow does look much better in person. As for your question, a lot of English students attend Glasgow, reputation is purely subjective, Glasgow and Edinburgh seem to be on par with each other in Scotland while St. Andrews ranks above. Nightlife in Glasgow is far better than Edin and St A. League tables are misleading tbh... It really depends on your subject/degree. For example, Glasgow ranks in the top 5 for Vet med, dentistry and medicine in the UK.
    League tables indeed can be misleading. Nottingham is ranked around 20-23 by the media tables, but it is the most targeted university in 2013-2014 by the very top 100 graduate employers.including Goldman Sachs:-

http://blogs.nottingham.ac.uk/vice-c...ams-graduates/

So much for all those who say Nottingham is only a mere semi-target university with the top investment banks.

Back to the thread, Nottingham also boasts striking campuses, you have to see them to believe how good they are these days. They keep pouring money into new developments each year.

ReputationRep:
    University of East Anglia.

I always wanted to go to Egypt to see amongst other things, the Pyramids... but having been to the UEA I've decided that I've basically seen it already.

---

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    League tables indeed can be misleading. Nottingham is ranked around 20-23 by the media tables, but it is the most targeted university in 2013-2014 by the very top 100 graduate employers:-

http://blogs.nottingham.ac.uk/vice-c...ams-graduates/
    Yep, I totally agree. I prefer to ignore stats and go with whatever feels more welcoming, and accepting. Teaching standards out-weigh reputation all day long. Are you going to uni, or deciding which is best suited?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speckle)
    University of East Anglia.

I always wanted to go to Egypt to see amongst other things, the Pyramids... but having been to the UEA I've decided that I've basically seen it already.

---

I'd love to read the strategic plan for UEA, they look as though they need some help. The plan for Nottingham is formidable

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I totally agree. I prefer to ignore stats and go with whatever feels more welcoming, and accepting. Teaching standards out-weigh reputation all day long. Are you going to uni, or deciding which is best suited?
    I finished at Nottingham in 2005, and did a masters at Birkbeck whilst working fulltime the last 2 years. I want to complete a PhD at Nottingham soonish.

ReputationRep:
    I finished at Nottingham in 2005, and did a masters at Birkbeck whilst working fulltime the last 2 years. I want to complete a PhD at Nottingham soonish.
    Wow, impressive! I'm still an undergraduate so I have years to go! 4 years minimum in Scotland (Hons), did you stay in halls? What did you study?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty fond of Imperial's Royal School of Mines
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Oxford all the way, got to go to the top of the sheldonian theatre once. The veiw was amazing

ReputationRep:
    Wow, impressive! I'm still an undergraduate so I have years to go! 4 years minimum in Scotland (Hons), did you stay in halls? What did you study?
    BSc Biochemistry

MSc Microbiology

You might have guessed from the above I work in medical science.

ReputationRep:
    BSc Biochemistry

MSc Microbiology

You might have guessed from the above I work in medical science.
    Biochem is hardcore! My friend did his BSc in microbiology, he loved it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.