Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tesco workers refuse to sell Ham & Wine during Ramadan Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    One half of this is people being unnecessarily problematic when they can just use a self serving till. There comes a point when you're just being a ****.
    1 - If you are in Wales, in some stores you still have to get a member of staff to come across if you want a plastic bag.

2 - Wine was being bought. Which is alcoholic. Which means member of staff would have had to come over anyway to clear the ID check.

3 - They often don't work correctly anyway ("Unexpected item in bagging area, please wait for assistance") so again would have had to get the member of staff to come over.

4 - A lot of people simply do not like using them.

OR, the guy could have just served him anyway. Which is easier?

It is the guys job to sell the items the store stocks. If he doesn't like that, then get a different job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    1 - If you are in Wales, in some stores you still have to get a member of staff to come across if you want a plastic bag.

2 - Wine was being bought. Which is alcoholic. Which means member of staff would have had to come over anyway to clear the ID check.

3 - They often don't work correctly anyway ("Unexpected item in bagging area, please wait for assistance") so again would have had to get the member of staff to come over.

4 - A lot of people simply do not like using them.

OR, the guy could have just served him anyway. Which is easier?

It is the guys job to sell the items the store stocks. If he doesn't like that, then get a different job.
    That's unfortunate for Wales, would he have refused to bring a bag? Would he have refused to check your ID?
    So you decide not to use a machine on the off chance it won't work?
    Fair enough.

You're making out using the self serving till to be some kind of ordeal and that he'd have the same objections but he wouldn't have to handle or touch the products at all.

I do agree, he should just serve you, but at the same time I don't see why people need to make issues out of things that just don't need to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    That's unfortunate for Wales, would he have refused to bring a bag? Would he have refused to check your ID?
    So you decide not to use a machine on the off chance it won't work?
    Fair enough.
    I am not saying he wouldn't. What I am saying is the same member of staff who refused to serve you and who walked away without helping you at all would probably still have to come over and waste even more of your and his time. For no reason at all.

(Original post by Ggmu!)
    You're making out using the self serving till to be some kind of ordeal
    It sometimes is when they decide to throw a hissy fit and complain at every item you try to put through it (as happened to me last week in a Sainsburys local - I ended up giving up and going to the till, what would I have done if the member of staff there refused to serve me?).

(Original post by Ggmu!)
    but at the same time I don't see why people need to make issues out of things that just don't need to be.
    You mean like the member of staff did?

ReputationRep:
    " I am a Muslim and this guy is an Idiot. If he was a proper Muslim with no double standards he should not work there... For us Muslims we are not suppose to sell it all year you Idiot. Get a Job that works for you and don't make others suffer."

Saw it on my Facebook feed. Interesting....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnionRing)
    " I am a Muslim and this guy is an Idiot. If he was a proper Muslim with no double standards he should not work there... For us Muslims we are not suppose to sell it all year you Idiot. Get a Job that works for you and don't make others suffer."

Saw it on my Facebook feed. Interesting....
    Opnion offered was cool but may be the harsh judgment of calling someone idiot was probably not very muslimish

ReputationRep:
    I wish religion would just **** off.

What next? Catholic worker refuses to sell condoms because it is against their beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim3)
    Opnion offered was cool but may be the harsh judgment of calling someone idiot was probably not very muslimish
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    It's up to Tesco how they deal with their employees. I don't think anyone would have anything to complain about if that employee were sacked. Who wants someone working for them who won't do what they're paid to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'Ello Dave!)

What next? Catholic worker refuses to sell condoms because it is against their beliefs?
    Might be u never know :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_in_Ireland)
    As far as I know the restrictions on fasting for Ramadan only apply to the actual person who is upholding the religious rite - it shouldn't affect the customer that the till cashier is serving.

I can understand the case of a Muslim or Jewish person objecting to handling the meat itself but in that case the person would not be serving on the butchery or deli counter. If the meat is (as usual) wrapped or in a plastic container then there should be no issue with ritual 'uncleanliness'. Can someone enlighten me on this?
    well what do yeh now

yet another irish wan...

yeh I agree..althought tbh I think regardless he should deal with the customer or if he cant get a new job...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'Ello Dave!)

You mean like a catholic custom cake shop refuses to make a cake with gay rights on it? Happened! Most of tsr sided with the shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    Someone has a job in a supermarket where they sell food. They are unable to sell food, they should not have that job. Plenty of other people more suitable I'm sure, who also probably have wives and kids.

Yeah. I work in Tesco Express and I'm against smoking, and if I refused to serve customers cigarettes I'll be out the door in an instant.

ReputationRep:
    weren't they fired for this childish bull****?

ReputationRep:
    You know that supermarkets sell ham and wine, you work there, you sell those things. What if vegetarians refused to serve you meat? Or vegans refuse your basket because it includes milk or butter? Most people with principles on such matters choose not to work somewhere that requires them to compromise those principles. You don't join the army if you're a pacifist, you don't work for the blood transfusion service if you're a Jehovah's witness...surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prodigal son)
    You mean like a catholic custom cake shop refuses to make a cake with gay rights on it? Happened! Most of tsr sided with the shop.

Exactly. This story is nothing but a story of bad customer service. Something that happens daily in the uk, but because it has something to do with islam, everyone jumps on it and condemns it.

So much passion for something so unimportant.

ReputationRep:
    I don't particularly care, if you can't survive without ham and wine you are clearly very childish indeed

At the same time, why just during Ramadan? Either selling alcohol is Haram or it isn't (it is), it makes no sense to only obey your religion during say Ramadan or Lent, rather than all the time.

(Original post by lucaf)
    That doesn't make any sense! I mean, ham and wine are forbidden for muslims all the time so why can he specifically not sell them during ramadan?
    Muslims are not supposed to make money out of dealing in Haram practices either

Most of TSR sided with the gay rights group, stop thinking you are a victim

ReputationRep:
    lol. You can't eat food because I'm not eating it. strong logix.

Isn't stuff like this against the law? Not offering a customer a service based on discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    if you can't survive without ham and wine you are clearly very childish indeed

It's something I'm working on okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    I don't particularly care, if you can't survive without ham and wine you are clearly very childish indeed

At the same time, why just during Ramadan? Either selling alcohol is Haram or it isn't (it is), it makes no sense to only obey your religion during say Ramadan or Lent, rather than all the time.

Muslims are not supposed to make money out of dealing in Haram practices either

Most of TSR sided with the gay rights group, stop thinking you are a victim
    I'm not a Muslim and no they didn't actually. It's just shows though people can't empathise with the things that don't effect them. People get more offended by the idea they can't get ham and wine than the rights of gay people on a whole.

ReputationRep:
    That's slightly different. The owners of the cake company held the belief's, not just an employee. If Tesco, as a whole, decide not to sell alcohol and ham during Ramadan, then fair enough. That is the policy of the company, not a rogue employee, who has no right to decide what can and can not be sold.

For what it's worth, I also agreed with the cake company. They did not want to endorse a political belief that they did not support (gay marriage). It had nothing to do with the sexuality of the customers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.