Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    You tell him! You're the only guru we need here.
    I'm not in any way, shape or form a guru. I have some limited experience in a vaguely related field, sure, but that does not make me any more of an authority than anyone else and I would never suggest it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You present yourself as very knowledgeable without anything backing that up and assume that other people here aren't knowledgeable. Smacks of arrogance to me - and no doubt most others.

So, making political assumptions is not the right thing to do, yet you're perfectly happy to make assumptions about the aircraft side of things? Why?
    Are you personally offended? I am not assuming other's aren't, I just present myself to be so that I can help others gain insight into the event from an objective, non-political point of view.

Making assumptions about 'the aircraft side of things' is a false statement, as you so proudly put on your bio, you're an aero eng and ex RAF, so you should know that aircraft design and aviation infrastructure is solely based on factual data.

If you don't like what I'm here to do, then don't comment about it. My offer to help still stands and as far as I care, you're just being argumentative.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no not another argument! I just want the innocent Dutch "paspoort" holders on that flight to rest in peace...

ReputationRep:
    The reaction of Europe and America will likely be determined primarily by the nationalities of the people who died on the plane. If there were brits, americans, dutch, germans, etc on the plane then the repercussions will be more serious, whereas if there were mostly Malaysians on the plane then it'll probably be less severe.

Because summer has just begun (for a lot of people) and the plane departed FROM Amsterdam, it is likely that the majority of the dead will be Dutch, which will make sanctions more severe. I'm no warmongering neocon douche, but I really do think that we need to give Putin a taste of NATO airstrikes, he is being allowed to act with impunity at every turn. (That being said, we don't know all of the facts yet and it could've been a mistake by the Ukrainian government forces) It worked in Yugoslavia, it could help to wind down the situation in Ukraine. Though the negative consequences possibly might be too severe if it just inflames the situation.

RIP to all of the innocents lost to the ridiculous political **** measuring contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
    Are you personally offended? I am not assuming other's aren't, I just present myself to be so that I can help others gain insight into the event from an objective, non-political point of view.

Making assumptions about 'the aircraft side of things' is a false statement, as you so proudly put on your bio, you're an aero eng and ex RAF, so you should know that aircraft design and aviation infrastructure is solely based on factual data.

If you don't like what I'm here to do, then don't comment about it. My offer to help still stands and as far as I care, you're just being argumentative.
    I couldn't care less what you try to do, whether that's passing yourself off as an authority or someone who somehow knows every detail about a major incident that's cost the lives of nearly 300 people, you're probably not going to tell me anything I didn't know so I'm largely unbothered.

What is important is that other people out there are able to put your views and opinions (and mine) into context. Neither you nor I are going to be able to tell people anything about this incident that isn't something they could find with a bit of googling, either of us presenting ourselves like we are capable of doing more than that is fanciful and misleading.

Saying "come to me and I alone will tell you what you need to know, I alone will answer your questions" (which is how it reads, might not be how you meant it, but that's how it reads) smacks of little more than arrogance.

ReputationRep:
    Tragic. Some fools rejoicing because Malaysia is majority Muslims

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where?

ReputationRep:
    world war is gonna break out

ReputationRep:
    Have the nationalities been revealed?

Such a big shame... My Mother is flying home from Texas tommorrow. Won't sleep tonight now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is so much hate in the world it's unbelievable.
    By the way, there were 70 US and 15 UK nationals on the plane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Where?
    CNN website comment section.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have Fox News blamed Obama yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattBerry96)
    Just Russia atm lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    There is so much hate in the world it's unbelievable.
    By the way, there were 70 US and 15 UK nationals on the plane
    It's become a global issue now. Wonder how far it will esculate. It's on every News channel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattBerry96)
    Don't think so, but how long before the conspiracy theorists come out and blame the US I wonder :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Anyone following the BBC updates? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-28354787

They're quoting an intercepted conversation between a pro-Russian militant and a Russian security official :

In the YouTube footage a militant nicknamed "Major" is seen saying it was shot down by "Cossacks from the Chernukhino roadblock".
    Major goes on to say: "It is definitely a civilian plane... there was a lot of people on board," BBC Monitoring reports.
    The conversation : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5E8...ature=youtu.be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)

They're quoting an intercepted conversation between a pro-Russian militant and a Russian security official :
    The news can be summed up thusly:

- everyone's saying it was someone else's fault.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)

You have to question the validity, especially given the BBC's rather blatantly biased position. When watching it all they really asked about is questions along the line of it being the separatists doing it and wouldn't possibly entertain the notion that possibly it was the "government".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBallWinner)
    Have the nationalities been revealed?

Such a big shame... My Mother is flying home from Texas tommorrow. Won't sleep tonight now!
    My parents (both of them) are flying this morning (middle of the night in UK time lol). I'm not sure how they're feeling either.

Video where the plane is hit: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2fb_1405623415

Not very clear, but pretty obvious.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.