Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lavender lifts some stuff up Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Post the videos anyway. They'll be useful even if we have to look in mirrors etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OK will do, they're honestly terrible. I'd rather PM it to you (or anyone who wants to give me some pointers)... Don't really want to post it so publicly! Haha. I'll try and sort it out tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    OK will do, they're honestly terrible. I'd rather PM it to you (or anyone who wants to give me some pointers)... Don't really want to post it so publicly! Haha. I'll try and sort it out tomorrow.
    Setting it unlisted on youtube then pming links is easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right ive managed to upload 2 of the videos to youtube...finally!

ReputationRep:
    Right ive managed to upload 2 of the videos to youtube...finally!
    PM me the link and i'll take a look too.

ReputationRep:
    Me too.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Me three
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Be more confident when unracking, you shuffle shuffle shuffle shuffle and shuffle some more, be confident, get your feet where you want, get tight, pick it out

Once you've walked it out, know where your feet are, take a breath, squat

Depth wise, idk whether it's a flexibility issue or a too heavy for you issue. I suspect a bit of both

Increase your hip flexor flexibility - frog, lizard and butterfly yoga position.

For abductor flexibility - pigeon position

2 minute holds for each, increasing the burn every 30 seconds. For the last 10 seconds go all out agony

Also is it low bar or high bar position? Difficult to tell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Be more confident when unracking, you shuffle shuffle shuffle shuffle and shuffle some more, be confident, get your feet where you want, get tight, pick it out

Once you've walked it out, know where your feet are, take a breath, squat

Depth wise, idk whether it's a flexibility issue or a too heavy for you issue. I suspect a bit of both

Increase your hip flexor flexibility - frog, lizard and butterfly yoga position.

For abductor flexibility - pigeon position

2 minute holds for each, increasing the burn every 30 seconds. For the last 10 seconds go all out agony

Also is it low bar or high bar position? Difficult to tell
    It was low bar, and my first session trying it, which is why I was so shuffly! I'm not usually so bad with high bar!

I think a lot of the problem is the rack, I physically can't get much lower without the bar hitting the sides and causing me to lose my balance a bit. I stretch after every session and am pretty flexible (it wasn't that long ago I could get into the splits) but I could probably work on it more, might start doing those poses every night before bed and in the morning. I'll try using another rack with adjustable bars and see if I can get lower.

Also bear in mind this was my absolute 1RM... I probably wouldn't have been so crap with 70kg!

I'm also looking into getting some lifting shoes (for Christmas maybe if I can find a cheap pair), as I tried just bodyweight squats with a small wedge under my heels and it made the world of difference. Especially as my legs seem so long and I end up falling backwards if I go ATG.

Thanks for the feedback

ReputationRep:
    I largely agree with cucumber.

I'd do high bar personally but that's personal taste.

Definitely try a different rack to hit depth properly.

ReputationRep:
    I largely agree with cucumber.

I'd do high bar personally but that's personal taste.

Definitely try a different rack to hit depth properly.
    I feel stronger and more secure with low bar, but apparently it's the "easy option?". I'll do another session with it and see how I feel!

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't really say low bar is the easy option, you can squat more weight than compared to high bar, so if you were to do high bar and low bar with the same weight, low bar would be "the easy option" but you don't, you add slightly more weight to compensate, thus they're practically the same in terms of difficulty.

What shoes are you squatting in? Are they regular trainers/running shoes? I can't hit depth unless I'm wearing Adipowers, even then my depth isn't great. Not even got a chance in regular trainers.

How much lower could you go in the rack before you hit the sides? As your depth isn't too far off parallel.

If your stance isn't already incredibly wide you could try widening it, a wider stance will reduce the required range of motion, thus you could get around the rack problems.

ReputationRep:
    Not watched vid because no link but I find low bar a lot easier to hit depth in with a straight lumbar spine. It doesn't require as much hip flexibility as high bar. Also significantly easier to hit depth on with flat soled shoes compared to high bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    Wouldn't really say low bar is the easy option, you can squat more weight than compared to high bar, so if you were to do high bar and low bar with the same weight, low bar would be "the easy option" but you don't, you add slightly more weight to compensate, thus they're practically the same in terms of difficulty.

What shoes are you squatting in? Are they regular trainers/running shoes? I can't hit depth unless I'm wearing Adipowers, even then my depth isn't great. Not even got a chance in regular trainers.

How much lower could you go in the rack before you hit the sides? As your depth isn't too far off parallel.

If your stance isn't already incredibly wide you could try widening it, a wider stance will reduce the required range of motion, thus you could get around the rack problems.
    Yeah I get what you mean about them being of the same difficulty if you compensate for weight.

I squat in converse, would probably benefit from lifting shoes at some point though one day!

In the first attempt (the mirror one) I think you can hear the bar hit the sides. The second attempt wasn't quite as low, maybe an inch away? It's pretty restrictive. My stance is pretty wide (bit wider than shoulder width)but I'll play around with an empty bar... Or just switch to the power rack if I can ever get in it!

Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, my low bar glory was short lived.

Tried today and got extreme pain where the bar was resting, couldn't even do 60kg without pain. Please tell me this is slightly normal. I'm thinking I probably overdid it last session doing low bar for the first time and doing my 1RM. I'm hoping it's just DOMS.

I foam rolled the **** out of it but it still feels a bit twingy if I push my elbows back.

Did high bar squats 60kg 5x5

Bench 30kg 5x5

Pendlay row 40kg 3x5 (my upper back is so rounded I look like a freaking hunchback. What is wrong with me)

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you have the bar in the right place? Rip has an excellent video on it, it's posted in my log but as I'm on my phone I can't get the link for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Are you sure you have the bar in the right place? Rip has an excellent video on it, it's posted in my log but as I'm on my phone I can't get the link for you.
    Yeah I think I've watched it. I'm pretty sure, it seems to be on a sort of 'shelf' below my traps. Obviously being a girl I don't have much muscle there so I'm perhaps over compensating by pushing my elbows back to support the bar over my delts/shoulders. I'll take another look! I'm hoping it's just because my body isn't used to being held in that position.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, my low bar glory was short lived.

Tried today and got extreme pain where the bar was resting, couldn't even do 60kg without pain. Please tell me this is slightly normal. I'm thinking I probably overdid it last session doing low bar for the first time and doing my 1RM. I'm hoping it's just DOMS.

I foam rolled the **** out of it but it still feels a bit twingy if I push my elbows back.

Did high bar squats 60kg 5x5

Bench 30kg 5x5

Pendlay row 40kg 3x5 (my upper back is so rounded I look like a freaking hunchback. What is wrong with me)
    It's normal to feel a lot of discomfort when doing low-bar initially, but I wouldn't describe the sensation as "painful".

ReputationRep:
    So first session in my new gym (moved house this weekend). Ended up joining a smallish leisure centre gym over the massive fitness first purely because it's closer. I was pleasantly surprised, they've got both a squat rack and a power rack and a few spare barbells. Only thing is there was no stand for bench press, though I could do that in the power rack I guess.

Squats - 50 x 5
    60 x 5
    65 3x5

still issues with low bar. Feels like a pinching nerve pain which is worrying. Thing is, after a few sets of low bar, high bar feels very strange and difficult.

Deadlift 60 x 5
    70 x 5
    75 x 2
    80 x 2

OHP 20 3x5

ReputationRep:
    So first session in my new gym (moved house this weekend). Ended up joining a smallish leisure centre gym over the massive fitness first purely because it's closer. I was pleasantly surprised, they've got both a squat rack and a power rack and a few spare barbells. Only thing is there was no stand for bench press, though I could do that in the power rack I guess.

Squats - 50 x 5
    60 x 5
    65 3x5

still issues with low bar. Feels like a pinching nerve pain which is worrying. Thing is, after a few sets of low bar, high bar feels very strange and difficult.

Deadlift 60 x 5
    70 x 5
    75 x 2
    80 x 2

OHP 20 3x5
    Any qualified trainers there that could look at it?

Where about are you living atm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any qualified trainers there that could look at it?

Where about are you living atm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not entirely sure if the staff there (there's only one in the gym at any given time) are qualified trainers. I think their response would simply be "don't do it then". Depending on my schedule and funds I might pay for one private PT session if it persists and it's bothering me that much.

I'm still in the southwest, about an hour from where I lived before (don't want to say exactly where because paranoid).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.