The Student Room Group

Where would you rather live, Las Vegas or Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippity.doodah
so you're suggesting that america *today* is, still, better than saudi arabia *today*? and for the record, we're talking about the countries themselves, not their acts towards other countries

i spit on them both
Saudi Arabia lolwut depends on how much time travel pays these days...

A friend of mine spent half a school year in Vegas and she absolutely loved it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by interact
i spit on them both

no, again, we're talking about where you'd rather *live*, we're not talking about what america has do in the past, and obviously that's what you're saying this for. nobody is supporting america's actions in iraq, afghanistan, vietnam and all the other countries.
Riyadh is much safer than Las Vegas.
oh please, why don't you read up on all the disgusting human right abuses committed by the west, when it was industrialising. other countries are now following its footpath, only later. I'm not condoning human rights abuses but the west incarnated the modern world, and has now spread it across the globe.

The West? Is it Saudi Arabia against The West in your eyes? Can't you be any more specific, like err, name a country perhaps? Or is every Western state decadent and corrupt in your eyes, in comparison to Muslim countries? You don't get it if you are not disgusted by the justice system in Saudi Arabia. You try and justify it by pointing to 'all the disgusting human rights abuses committed by the west". What do you think about the rape laws in Saudi? What do you think about public stonings and beheadings? I'm interested to know your personal views about these issues.
Reply 105
Neither I guess because
in LV you will get robbed one way or other
In Saudi, I don't like the very strict laws
both have a lot of traffic which I can't stand
so idk :s-smilie:
Original post by Marco1
Vegas any day! I'd rather be free than live in a hypocritical Islamic society brimming with money, hidden vice, slavery, and public beheadings. I prefer the USA values of democracy, freedom and the culture they bring to the wider world. Their constitution and open society are two things I admire. Take the films they produce, for example and the intellectual debate, their outstanding universities etc. I don't know what good Saudi Arabia does for the wider world. I wouldn't feel safe there and I abhor their legal system. It's a no brainer for me.

Hey guys! Guys!

See this guy here? This is someone who isn't a complete moron.
Original post by Marco1
The West? Is it Saudi Arabia against The West in your eyes? Can't you be any more specific, like err, name a country perhaps? Or is every Western state decadent and corrupt in your eyes, in comparison to Muslim countries? You don't get it if you are not disgusted by the justice system in Saudi Arabia. You try and justify it by pointing to 'all the disgusting human rights abuses committed by the west". What do you think about the rape laws in Saudi? What do you think about public stonings and beheadings? I'm interested to know your personal views about these issues.

And you don't get it either, what with your false pretence at being disgusted with the justice system in Saudi Arabia, when the British Government are the very people who sponsored the Wahabbi movement, and put the pseudo Saudi Monarchy in power. Another deluded, exclusivist Christian who thinks that a state like Saudi Arabia represents Islam and is the alternative being offered to Western secularism, because let's be honest that's what the issue is here.
Original post by zippity.doodah
no, again, we're talking about where you'd rather *live*, we're not talking about what america has do in the past, and obviously that's what you're saying this for. nobody is supporting america's actions in iraq, afghanistan, vietnam and all the other countries.

If it's between the cities in question and you have money: Riyadh, you can pretty much live a normal life with no state interference by corrupt police and at least theres some pretence at being against immoral practices like prostitution, paedophillia, sleeping around, cheating etc. As a whole, America obviously because although those in power, in Saudi may as well just be Americans, you can escape the wahabbis influence somewhat in a small town like Bethlehem, Georgia Atlanta. Lands cheap, you are your own person.
(edited 9 years ago)
Las Vegas is superior in every aspect: materially richer, and superior values of freedom and tolerance. It would be more of a contest if the other city at least was beautiful or tasteful.
Reply 110
Well, having lived for 10 years in Saudi Arabia, I would go with Riyadh
Positives:
-Good financially; large salaries, no tax, no bills etc
-Saudis treat Western foreigners well (includes women), very hospitable. Also remarkably tolerant of Westerners
-Good/easy lifestyle
-Good for families with younger children
-More sense of community (regarding Westerners and compounds)
-Excellent hospitals and medical care
-Little crime
-Dependent on salary you will be provided with cook, driver, houseboy etc
-Some very interesting places to visit, desert in itself is quite spectacular

Negatives:
-As a female you won't be able to drive
-Women must wear an abiya (lightweight black covering) when out of compound
-Can be exceedingly hot eg 40 degrees centigrade and above
-Possibility of terrorism (however compounds are now guarded)
-As children grow up, they may miss the presence of night life etc

Dependent on personal prejudices, beliefs or views:
-You must respect the Saudis' culture and religious practices
-As a Westerner, you will always be somewhat separated from Saudi society
If it's between the cities in question and you have money: Riyadh, you can pretty much live a normal life with no state interference by corrupt police and at least theres some pretence at being against immoral practices like prostitution, paedophillia, sleeping around, cheating etc. As a whole, America obviously because although those in power, in Saudi may as well just be Americans, you can escape the wahabbis influence somewhat in a small town like Bethlehem, Georgia Atlanta. Lands cheap, you are your own person.

what da **** is a wahabbi
And you don't get it either, what with your false pretence at being disgusted with the justice system in Saudi Arabia, when the British Government are the very people who sponsored the Wahabbi movement, and put the pseudo Saudi Monarchy in power. Another deluded, exclusivist Christian who thinks that a state like Saudi Arabia represents Islam and is the alternative being offered to Western secularism, because let's be honest that's what the issue is here.

What false pretence? Britain did not create Saudi's present legal system. We can all go back in history and blame this or that group for something wrong but a society is supposed to be able to develop and fine-tune itself over time according to the will of it's people. Your retreat into political history doesn't provide a proper answer. You failed to answer my questions too.
Original post by fybyth

-As a female you won't be able to drive
-Women must wear an abiya (lightweight black covering) when out of compound

Yeh I think this part here is enough to make me choose Vegas. Women being treated like shameful dumb animals should be enough to deter anyone with an ounce of morality.
Have you seen the gun laws in Nevada? They are beautiful. I could buy an assault rifle with no permit. What a glorious nation, I wish I could move there right now and get my hunt on.
Lol not going to choose some middle eastern ****hole over LV
riyadh, because i don't have to worry about getting robbed.
Original post by presidential_
riyadh, because i don't have to worry about getting robbed.

Las Vegas isn't even a particularly dangerous city these days.
Vegas, if you don't have freedom of speech I ain't living in your country. Firms based in KSA would pay me a ****load of money to do my job there as they lack the expertise, but I still wouldn't.

KSA would also be really odd with the the compunds, segregation from Saudis etc., but I'd refuse to live in Dub as well.
Vegas. Been there many times, and if you stay away from the sins, and look around carefully, you will realize that it is perfectly possible place to bring up a family with good values, as many people do there. Normal life exists outside of the strip, which many outsiders don't realize. (That said, there are far better places to live immediately surrounding Vegas, of course Arizona being one of them, also considering the current state of the economy in Nevada.)

Saudi Arabia is a hell-hole - sexism, no freedom of speech, oppression, slavery and more. I hate that place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending