Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samual)
    Oh please, £55k is not comfortable? I swear people on TSR need a reality check.

There are four people in my family on a household income of £15,000 (and no, we don't live in a council house and we're not in receipt of any benefits). That means no holidays, no cars, lots of second hand furniture/school uniforms, freeview TV, no pets, no pocket money when we growing up, no mobile phones or computers which we didn't pay for ourselves, no visiting family that lived beyond a bus ride away. And the thing is, there are millions of people who are far worse off than we were. And you think you deserve the same financial support as me? :rolleyes::lol:

Says someone who has never experienced life in a low-income household. Your dad's pension contributions might be a lot but at least he can afford to make them - my mum has no pension because she literally could not spare a penny towards it. Count your blessings.
    Life choices my friend, first day i turned 18, life cover and income protection, independent health insurance, private pension plan. Plenty of opportunity to work once you leave school and during education. You get what you put in with life, work hard play hard. Those who strive to get things, tend to achieve. Its down to the individual what standard of living is reasonable to them. Personally if that was my family, we would have a "physical altercation" everyday, i would probably be arrested for breach of the peace on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    Ah, but the beauty of your course is your industrial placement! I've saved something like 3-3.5k this year, and that's earning minimum wage.
    Apparently only 20 out of the 150 on my course actually get a placement, but if I do, it will all go into saving for a house/car.

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £2575
    Maintenance Grant: £5161
    Bursaries: £3000
    Scholarships: 0
    Savings: £3500, more after I finish my internship
    Money from Parents:

Yes, I come from a poor family. I have four siblings so I my parents can't afford to support me whatsoever.

All of the money I have saved has been earned over the years.

It may seem like a lot for a student but consider the fact that it's all I really have and have no other savings etc.

Accommodation Cost: Around £5000, maybe a little less.
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: Just under £200? Though I'll be saving as much as I can and assuming I keep my current savings

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £3862
    Maintenance Grant: £3387
    Bursaries: £2000
    Scholarships: £2000
    Savings: Few thousand but I wont be using this for uni
    Money from Parents: £50 per week (If my dad actually sticks to his promises for once)

Accommodation Cost: £4389 (Although on a waiting list for an ensuite which is more)
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £181 I think (52 weeks of the year)

Benefits of having a single mum who earns very little

Despite getting a large amount of money for uni I do believe the current system is unfair. On paper a family might have a very high income, in reality they could be really struggling but student finance doesn't care how much money your parents have to spare, only their income. And what if the parents don't support their childs decision to move away to uni, or go to uni at all! I've heard of parents refusing to support their child if they move away for uni, and refusing to support them because the parents believe they're doing a pointless course. I know what it's like living in a poor household but I'm not spiteful about it like some people seem to be, low income on paper although I wouldn't say we struggle, but there are people who have a much higher income that do struggle. Parents shouldn't be forced to support their children once they're adults, especially when most of people's student loans are paid back anyway

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £3862
    Maintenance Grant: £3387
    Bursaries: £3000
    Scholarships: None
    Savings: £1000
    Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £4368 (39 Weeks)
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £172

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samual)
    Oh please, £55k is not comfortable? I swear people on TSR need a reality check.

There are four people in my family on a household income of £15,000 (and no, we don't live in a council house and we're not in receipt of any benefits). That means no holidays, no cars, lots of second hand furniture/school uniforms, freeview TV, no pets, no pocket money when we growing up, no mobile phones or computers which we didn't pay for ourselves, no visiting family that lived beyond a bus ride away. And the thing is, there are millions of people who are far worse off than we were. And you think you deserve the same financial support as me? :rolleyes::lol:
    Amen :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassicles)
    Maintenance Loan: None
    Maintenance Grant: None
    Bursaries: None
    Scholarships: Waiting until results day, but hopefully about £1,000
    Savings: £700
    Money from Parents: If it all goes to plan, maybe £200 every fortnight.

Accommodation Cost: £108 p/w (£4553 if I get the accommodation I want)
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £50-£70
    Wow no maintenance Loan or Grant? How come?

(Original post by alexyyyy)
    Okay well this is worrying. I've got no grant and the accommodation is something like 4,000 and I'm getting a loan of 3,400....
    What about Bursaries and Scholarships from your university? If not then you'll have to find a student bank account with the highest overdraft and use that. For paying the rest of the accommodation and living expenses.

(Original post by RoundTrip)
    The system really is stupid. I'll be going uni this September after having worked in my apprenticeship where I earned a decent wage (for an apprenticeship) and I still live with my parents and have no debts. I also worked a second part time job. Because I'm 25 now they only take my income into account which means I am getting the full loan and grant as well bursaries from the uni. I wouldn't have got anything if my parents income was considered. This is all fine but...

The system doesnt take it account the fact I have saved around £20000 in an ISA, drive an RS Clio worth about £12000 and have absolutely no responsibilities. Now I'm not bragging, I was fully expecting to have to dip into my savings and get rid of my car when I went uni. However there's no point as with the ridiculous amount of "support" I'll receive there's no point. So with grants and bursaries that don't need to be paid back amounting to over around £20000 I'm gonna have more money that I know what to do with. There's no point turning it down but it's totally not fair how I have been given all this when I am fully capable of funding it myself. Oh well that's my ISA allowance and house deposit sorted I guess.

Meanwhile I have friends who got the minimum loan/grant who's parents wouldn't/couldn't support them have to move back home because they couldn't afford uni. Absolutely ridiculous.
    It all worked out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    Wow no maintenance Loan or Grant? How come?
    My parents' household income is over the bracket for Grant and my dad can handle paying for my education right now haha.

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan:
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.