Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guns are 'moronic', would you agree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    So then criminals will carry and be prepared to use knives, whereas citizens remain unarmed?

You seem to really get off on the idea of making people defenseless, it's very strange I must say
    did I? Aren't you the one inventing another scenario now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GnomeMage)
    did I? Aren't you the one inventing another scenario now?
    That's basically the summary of your argument, make people defenseless regardless of what the criminals may or may not be doing. The underlying point of your position is, make people defenseless. Interesting viewpoint, not one I can say I share

ReputationRep:
    That's basically the summary of your argument, make people defenseless regardless of what the criminals may or may not be doing. The underlying point of your position is, make people defenseless. Interesting viewpoint, not one I can say I share
    Nope. My point is 'good guys' should be armed with guns, the more the merrier, assault rifle, machine guns, rocket launcher, you name it, because guns help them to dodge bullets when 'bad guys' fire at them so they achieve the objective of 'self defence'.

Elliot Rodgers was a good guy before too.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. My point is 'good guys' should be armed with guns, the more the merrier, assault rifle, machine guns, rocket launcher, you name it, because guns help them to dodge bullets when 'bad guys' fire at them so they achieved the objective of 'self defence'.

Steven Elliot was a good guy too.
    Is that why there are roughly 1 million defensive gun uses in America per year (moderate estimate), compared to around 8000 gun murders (the majority of which are gang on gang violence, and do not involve regular citizens)?

I know you don't like statistics/facts so I won't hold my breath

ReputationRep:
    Is that why there are roughly 1 million defensive gun uses in America per year (moderate estimate), compared to around 8000 gun murders (the majority of which are gang on gang violence, and do not involve regular citizens)?

I know you don't like statistics/facts so I won't hold my breath
    Absolutely, that is why 8000 people has to die.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, that is why 8000 people has to die.
    The fact that people can't dodge bullets is why there are 1 million successful defensive gun uses per year?

ReputationRep:
    Guns for self defense is not a viable option in the UK because we simply don't have a gun culture. However guns still have a role to play in our nation other than in the hands of the police and armed forces.

Much of the countryside you see is not natural, it is managed. The animals are controlled through the use of culling to stop certain populations going out of control due to lack of natural predators. Deer for instance has no natural predator and therefore must be culled. Now the easiest and most humane way of doing this is through shooting. But if we took away the guns we would be left with trapping which is cruel and pretty horrific. Or we could reintroduce wolves which I'm sure many dog walkers and livestock farmers would oppose.

Or how about humane dispatch. Lets say you have a sheep that has just prolapsed and its innards are hanging out its back end. This sort of thing does happen. Or it has been attacked by a dog and the sheep has had its throat ripped open and it is in horrific pain. How do you suppose one should put it done without a gun. Should you have to wait for the vet to come down while the animal is slowly suffering in agonising pain. No don't be ridiculous, you would shoot it and put it out of its misery.

I understand that many of you don't really understand what happens in the countryside, but firearms are needed. You may not realise it, but there are around 3,400,000 privately registered firearms in the UK. Most of these will be owned in countryside and not so densely populated areas. However gun crime in these areas is low compared to that of the cities where it is the use of illegally owned firearms that are used to commit crime.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...hip-world-list This is the most up to date statistics on gun ownership and homicide rates.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that people can't dodge bullets is why there are 1 million successful defensive gun uses per year?
    The fact that people cant dodge bullets caused 8000 deaths. Assuming you statistics are right.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The fact that people cant dodge bullets caused 8000 deaths. Assuming you statistics are right.
    And saved up to 1 million. Glad we cleared that up

ReputationRep:
    And saved up to 1 million. Glad we cleared that up
    yes, when that the 1 million situation are created by the possession of guns itself. if that is the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Guns are not moronic or ridiculous. They're inanimate objects.
    you must be the type in school that always comes up with the most awkward and unfunny jokes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monsieur Gamma)
    I know I would, I'm STRONGLY against them for many reasons - the main one being citizens simply do not need them, they should be in the hands of servicemen/women ...

Would you really want to leave your house knowing almost everyone you meet owns or is carrying a gun? Your neighbour could easily lose his temper, just like Oscar Pistorius did, and shoot you ...

Guns are ridiculous, call me a liberal all you want because I don't care.
    actually having guns is liberal. its freedom.

your view is very... communist. putting the government and their roll of violence in complete control.

although having said that. in cuba, people are actively encouraged to own a gun and practice. to protect themselves from the once very present threat of american intervention.

i think britain has a great set up.
    if i was in charge i would not legalise guns here not at the present level of gun crime.

america has far too many guns in circulation.
    i think its more dangerous to ban guns over there.

sadly britain may join america in the next 20 years.

there are lots of guns in circulation across europe.

and the numbers are rising.

eventually guns may become so easy to get illegally and so commonly used that there comes a point where really criminals have the upper hand and our civilians are just lambs at the mercy of wolves. so if the law is not effective in keeping criminals from owning guns then why keep guns from the good people?

i think anti gun people tend to kinda. ignore the reality of violence in the world.
    as long as you have violence you will have people trying to kill each other and finding creative ways to do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.