The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harvey Dent
What's the problem with this? Homosexuals are allowed to be proud of their sexuality, blacks are allowed to be proud of their race, but when straight white guys do the same it's suddenly wrong?

Being proud of any is pathetic. Go check the chat forum and look at the African American thread in there to see what I mean.
I see no problem
Original post by Tai Ga
Did he target them specifically? Of course that'd be the case, considering there were practically only white people present in that area of the world at the time. He didn't declare that he was actively going to obliterate white straight men/women. Everyone was a target of his regime. Very poor example.

Lol ok fair enough

Oh i see, you are saying that suffering only happens if governments target a particular group of people? ( as if Stalin didn't target particular group of people ) That being starved to death is actually a wonderful thing and only becomes oppression and persecution if said government deliberately targets you because of a particular reason?

No.

Accept that white men and women have suffered just as much throughout history, if not more so.

The industrial revolution happened in Europe first, and so mass murder on an industrial scale happened in Europe first. But, according to you, this wasn't suffering.
(edited 9 years ago)
Although probably not real, I think that those who support such an idea are probably the same people who still don't understand when people come out of the closet or when there is a black pride event.
You always see them, the same idiots who says "oh look someone has come out as gay, maybe I should announce that I'm straight. Will you celebrate that?" And then when someone says no they say "OH WHY NOT?????????????!!!!1111"
The whole point is that gay pride is necessary because people felt like they wanted to say "I'm gay and I'm happy with it and it's completely fine" to contradict all the idiots who say that it isn't. But nevertheless the same idiots go down the same route.
Straight white males don't need any form of event to celebrate the fact that they are straight, white, and male. Anyone who thinks they do is a moron.
A festival for straight white guys only, sounds like a big gay sausage fest.
Original post by TheBallWinner
Would you like me to provide proof of my Grandfather fighting in two World Wars just so people like you could come over to England and have an education that your parents' country couldn't provide?

I have honestly got every single medal possible for a soldier in both wars. Not sure how much they're worth but I'd never stoop so low.

Bit off topic that last bit.

Excuse me? :lolwut:

Plenty of non-whites fought in both wars, I have no idea what you're getting at. Stop living off your grandfather's achievement. You personally haven't done anything to better my quality of life. So you really think every immigrant is from some third world **** hole huh? Shows how narrow minded you are. I was born in britain, and so were my parents. I'm pretty sure they've contributed more to this country than your ignorant ass.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Although probably not real, I think that those who support such an idea are probably the same people who still don't understand when people come out of the closet or when there is a black pride event.
You always see them, the same idiots who says "oh look someone has come out as gay, maybe I should announce that I'm straight. Will you celebrate that?" And then when someone says no they say "OH WHY NOT?????????????!!!!1111"
The whole point is that gay pride is necessary because people felt like they wanted to say "I'm gay and I'm happy with it and it's completely fine" to contradict all the idiots who say that it isn't. But nevertheless the same idiots go down the same route.
Straight white males don't need any form of event to celebrate the fact that they are straight, white, and male. Anyone who thinks they do is a moron.

Why are you discriminating against straight white males?
Original post by Jordooooom
http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/23/straight-white-guy-festival-sparks-controversy-4807716/

So apparently there were flyers for a festival solely for white straight guys. It may not even be a real thing but nevertheless it has stirred some controversy.

What are you thoughts?

Personally I think such a festival is stupid and pointless but I don't understand the anger towards it. It's not like it's mlpromoting hate at anyone? (As far as we can tell)

A festival for straight white guys consisting solely of men? The ladies doth protest too much methinks :beard:
Did they find out if <a href="http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/23/straight-white-guy-festival-sparks-controversy-4807716/">it</a>was done for fun or as a protest in the end?
Original post by lucybuckleyy
The point of Pride though, is that homosexuals, bisexuals, transgender etc were made to feel ashamed for who they are. Pride is a festival that says you should be proud of who you are.
Straight cis men have never been made to feel ashamed for who they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are however, made to feel collectively constantly ashamed of the actions of a minority or our forefathers.
lol at all the racist comments towards white people in this thread
Original post by Marky Mark
Straight white guys are boring.

Original post by SophiaLDN
Wondering what exactly do they do at this straight white guy festival.

Anyway I think its just made as a statement because they feel 'discriminated' against *shrugs*. Probably made by some white guys with hurt feelings who came back from their gap year & no one wants to listen to their stories of how many people they saved by playing football with orphans.
Original post by Tai Ga
Excuse me? :lolwut:

Plenty of non-whites fought in both wars, I have no idea what you're getting at. Stop living off your grandfather's achievement. You personally haven't done anything to better my quality of life. So you really think every immigrant is from some third world **** hole huh? Shows how narrow minded you are. I was born in britain, and so were my parents. I'm pretty sure they've contributed more to this country than your ignorant ass.

Thank you for proving my point, little girl.

If I'm "living off my grandfather's achievement" then why are you still sulking over the past?

Am I not allowed a White Achievement day? A White History month?

Oh and I'd say there were more white slaves around the time of slavery in Europe than there were black people fighting in the World Wars. Lol.
Original post by porksandwich
Why are you discriminating against straight white males?

I am a straight white male.

Original post by ChickenMadness

Damn honkies deserve it.
I'm not being nasty, Sophia. I just know alot of girls like you and sometimes they need to be brought back to reality rather than thinking they're all that when desperate hood rats 'like' and 'comment' on your Insta posts.

I'm sure you're studying a really really really tough course.

All the best, God bless. x

Lool instagram??? :rofl: Where did this even come from? You dont even know me or what my Instagram account is. You keep referring to looks and implying how much money you make.. you seem really hurt. Are you ok? What did those girls 'like me' do to you? :rolleyes:

Original post by Tai Ga
So...that's the only thing you picked out from my post? :rolleyes:

Forgetting about the idiots who think it's "cool" and will get them chicks, I'm referring to people who feel that their race/orientation has held them back. You forget, that the black gangs of America are not an accurate representation of the average black man. I'm talking about averages here. These people genuinely believe that their race/orientation has held them back, leading them to want to walk through life in the average white mans shoes. Most straight white men have never felt that way about that way about any other sub group.

The whole wigger thing isn't a noteworthy example. It's a fad, momentary and plays up to an extreme stereotype.

If I had any reps +1. They never seem to comprehend this.
Original post by imtelling
Oh i see, you are saying that suffering only happens if governments target a particular group of people? That being starved to death is actually a wonderful thing and only becomes oppression and persecution if said government deliberately targets you because of a particular reason?

No.

Accept that white men and women have suffered just as much throughout history, if not more so.

The industrial revolution happened in Europe first, and so mass murder on an industrial scale happened in Europe first. But, according to you, this wasn't suffering.

Again, no.

One big lol at your post.

Stop putting words into my mouth. We're talking about the deliberate persecution of groups based on factors they cannot control. I never once said that white people suffering is a wonderful thing :lolwut:

All groups have gone through **** in the form of war, natural disasters etc. There was and still is mass starvation in some African nations. Are we going to deem that genocide? Was the Libyan civil war genocide too? :rolleyes:

Stop with these straw man arguments. Be honest, white men as a group have not suffered as much as other groups in recent years. The haven't been discriminated against on a wide scale for being white and straight.

Tbh I can't take a man who thinks diversity is equivalent to the genocide of white people seriously.
Original post by ChickenMadness

Racist? That's cute.

Original post by thunder_chunky
I am a straight white male.

I'm not sure how that disproves my point.
Original post by porksandwich
I'm not sure how that disproves my point.

It doesn't I just wanted to throw that out there. And I'm not discriminating at all.
Original post by gazebi
Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously for it, though.

So why should anyone else take any other 'pride' festival seriously? If we are to have equality then we can't discriminate. It's harmless.. it even says everyone welcome.. so it's not exactly discriminating against any groups.
Thank you for proving my point, little girl.

If I'm "living off my grandfather's achievement" then why are you still sulking over the past?

Am I not allowed a White Achievement day? A White History month?

Oh and I'd say there were more white slaves around the time of slavery in Europe than there were black people fighting in the World Wars. Lol.

Oh wait, you had a point? :s-smilie:

Sulking over what? I'm happy that I've been born into the open minded, and tolerant society that exists today. We've really come far as a nation. I'm just giving you a reality check is all. The fact that you deem me being truthful as "sulking" shows your wanting to disacknowledge the truth. I don't know why you're being so resistant to it though.

You can if you want. Just don't expect it to be widely received.

And your point it? :curious:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending