Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is society so anti-Semitic? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    please just take 1 min, it's worth striving for!

https://www.change.org/p/david-camer...ce-we-are-here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HigherMinion)
    What do these prove?

"The results give cause for grave concern. One-quarter of French people think that Jews have too much power in the economy and in finance; 22 percent say that Jews have too much power in the media; 35 percent are of the opinion that Jews use their status as victims of the Holocaust in their own interest; and 16 percent think there is a global Zionist conspiracy. Even worse, 14 percent of French people consider the attacks against the Jewish community that took place during the summer --including the targeting of synagogues and Jewish-owned shops, and the shouting of vile anti-Semitic slogans during anti-Israel demonstrations -- understandable."

Grave concern- says who? The assumption with racism, anti-semitism, sexism, etc. is that treating people differently based on unchangeable traits is wrong. What if it's not? What if we're actually a tribal people who work to better our own people, and compete against the others?

The French people are a proud one. They don't want their country being taken over by Jews who are not French by the Frenches' standards. They have their culture to uphold, and it's up to them. To build a stigma against preventing this surrender and powergrab of European cultures is horrifically undemocratic and very dodgy indeed.
    First, they prove that society does still exhibit anti-Semitic tendencies. You certainly do. Case and point.

Second, are you really arguing that it's OK to attack and persecute Jews? No where in any of these articles does it say, first, that the Jews who were attacked in France weren't French (or do you think that Jews can't be French? You're practically out of the 19th century, so you probably do think that). If you think this about Jews, shouldn't this same attitude hold for all immigrants anywhere and for anyone who can't trace their national ancestry back X number of generations and confirm that every person in their ancestral line came from the same country? If that's the case, then everyone would be attacking everyone else because practically no one could claim to actually "belong" to a particular nationality because the "standard" would be too high.

We have a little something called "free will," which allows us to think for ourselves and deduce courses of action that differ from those that might have been "normal" when we were cavemen or in feudal societies and fought with one another over territory and resources. We don't need to be "protective" of territory, culture, etc. the way we did hundreds of years ago. People who are different in one way or another are not equated with representing "threats" to any one culture or another, and saying that they do as an excuse for persecution or violence doesn't cut it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viceroy)
    First, they prove that society does still exhibit anti-Semitic tendencies. You certainly do. Case and point.

Second, are you really arguing that it's OK to attack and persecute Jews? No where in any of these articles does it say, first, that the Jews who were attacked in France weren't French (or do you think that Jews can't be French? You're practically out of the 19th century, so you probably do think that). If you think this about Jews, shouldn't this same attitude hold for all immigrants anywhere and for anyone who can't trace their national ancestry back X number of generations and confirm that every person in their ancestral line came from the same country? If that's the case, then everyone would be attacking everyone else because practically no one could claim to actually "belong" to a particular nationality because the "standard" would be too high.

We have a little something called "free will," which allows us to think for ourselves and deduce courses of action that differ from those that might have been "normal" when we were cavemen or in feudal societies and fought with one another over territory and resources. We don't need to be "protective" of territory, culture, etc. the way we did hundreds of years ago. People who are different in one way or another are not equated with representing "threats" to any one culture or another, and saying that they do as an excuse for persecution or violence doesn't cut it.
    You're confusing nationality with ethnicity. Jews, many Jews, identify as Jewish and not their nation state of residence. This, coupled with the fact that they have dual nationality with Israel, shouldn't allow a rational person to give them any kind of power in your country unless they are wiped of those privileges.

Depends what you mean by persecute. If you mean discriminate, disallow from certain posts and areas of society then sure. Persecute away. I wouldn't have them all rounded up and gassed, though. We wouldn't want another shoah.

ReputationRep:
    You're confusing nationality with ethnicity. Jews, many Jews, identify as Jewish and not their nation state of residence. This, coupled with the fact that they have dual nationality with Israel, shouldn't allow a rational person to give them any kind of power in your country unless they are wiped of those privileges.

Depends what you mean by persecute. If you mean discriminate, disallow from certain posts and areas of society then sure. Persecute away. I wouldn't have them all rounded up and gassed, though. We wouldn't want another shoah.
    Only a very small percentage of Jews have dual citizenship with Israel. I have no connection with Israel and I'm Jewish -- I don't think I know any Jews who do. I consider myself to be American, Russian, and Jewish. The vast majority of Jews do not consider themselves to be Jewish first and from whatever country second; no one in my family (or anyone I know who is Jewish) thinks that way. You're generalizing, making things up about a massive population, and suggesting that all Jews be treated in the same way regardless of how they actually identify. To you, just being Jewish -- even if you, say, converted or are not observant -- means that you should not be allowed to function in society as others do and should be stigmatized.

And what you're describing in terms of 'legitimate' persecution/discrimination is illegal in many places (look up the Equality Act of 2010 for information on ethnic discrimination in the UK and the Non-Discrimination Act for the same info about the US). You can't legally bar people from certain jobs or whatever based on their religion or ethnic background.

ReputationRep:
    Only a very small percentage of Jews have dual citizenship with Israel. I have no connection with Israel and I'm Jewish -- I don't think I know any Jews who do. I consider myself to be American, Russian, and Jewish. The vast majority of Jews do not consider themselves to be Jewish first and from whatever country second; no one in my family (or anyone I know who is Jewish) thinks that way. You're generalizing, making things up about a massive population, and suggesting that all Jews be treated in the same way regardless of how they actually identify. To you, just being Jewish -- even if you, say, converted or are not observant -- means that you should not be allowed to function in society as others do and should be stigmatized.

And what you're describing in terms of 'legitimate' persecution/discrimination is illegal in many places (look up the Equality Act of 2010 for information on ethnic discrimination in the UK and the Non-Discrimination Act for the same info about the US). You can't legally bar people from certain jobs or whatever based on their religion or ethnic background.
    Wait, you're American? What are you doing on this website? Do you work for the JIDF?

Should we have affirmative action in media and finance to limit Jewish influence, then? There is no equality there right now.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, you're American? What are you doing on this website? Do you work for the JIDF?

Should we have affirmative action in media and finance to limit Jewish influence, then? There is no equality there right now.
    What on earth is wrong with you? I'm a PhD student. I don't work for the JIDF just because I'm Jewish and I live in America. What a completely stupid thing to say. You are so incredibly narrow-minded and foolish.

You obviously have a lot of deeply rooted problems with Jews and for that, I tell you to **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeWalker)
    Many institutions, like the US/UKSC are closer to 100%, I know it's weird. Stats like 3/9 wouldn't be too odd to me.
    Unless you think that Jews are conspiring to destroy the world or something, I don't get why it matters what percentage of people in power are Jewish.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you think that Jews are conspiring to destroy the world or something, I don't get why it matters what percentage of people in power are Jewish.
    Alright, Link. How about for every Jew in power in the US, an American is put in the same position in Israel to maintain the balance.

If you have any objections, you are a hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, Link. How about for every Jew in power in the US, an American is put in the same position in Israel to maintain the balance.

If you have any objections, you are a hypocrite.
    If you had a brain, you'd be human, but instead, you are just a despicable anti-Semite.

ReputationRep:
    If you had a brain, you'd be human, but instead, you are just a despicable anti-Semite.
    You know what... Having looked over the thread, and my replies and your thoroughly convincing arguments against anti-Semitism, I am starting to feel disgusted with myself. I actually feel like Judaism might be the religion for me.

I would like to make a pilgrimage to Israel as my first act in the faith, and convert once I arrive to show my support in light of the Israeli's hard time.

So, which rabbi do I give my foreskin to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.