Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    Its funny your trying to put Aberdeen next to Imperial/UCL/KCL. I hope you do Aberdeens alumini or open days, they need people like you. Its not opinion its fact, find me one league table Aberdeen is better then them in other than student satisafaction LMAO.
    You are annoying me now.
    Aberdeen has had nobel prize winners, it is a respectable uni with excellent ties to the oil and gas industry. It's an ancient, don't even try and put into the same bracket as Thames Valley.

Alistair Darling is an alumni of the law department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    Bad research, poor quality students and probably a very watered down syllabus.

There is a reason why it is at the bottom of the league table.
    But surely there are some good students there? But if that was the case than why did they bother going to that university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    I graduated last month with a 2:2 in Computer science and since then I have been applying for graduate jobs non-stop with a lot of rejections. I then had to sign on JSA, now the Job center are advising me to work for free for 2 weeks in a call center to get "experience" which I've refused because I dislike to be exploited by the company and work for free in a field that does not interest me.

I explained to the Job centers that I'm interested in IT jobs to which they replied that they would not be paying me benefits so that I could sit and wait for a very specific job. And after applying to loads of minimum wage jobs and getting loads of rejections they want me to work for free in some crappy job to get experience.

The other day they sent me to a compulsory course which explained about how to use the internet to apply for jobs I thought it was laughable they must be stuck in the 90's. They have no clue on how to deal with graduates
    OP,the reason why JSA are saying that you can't wait for a specific job is because it could take years for you to get it. University gives you a degree, it doesn't give you a guaranteed job,that's something that you do. You can be a great student but be unable to work with people,therefore no one will want to hire you.

You don't know how good you will be in a working environment because u have never been in one before. Whatever excuses and where you live etc etc...bottom line is that there are other people who have these things they can write on their CV which you can't.

I'd recommend that you start going out and looking for jobs such as free lance work or going through recruitment agencies. They may even prep u for interviews if that's where you're going wrong.

Just don't convince yourself that because you went to uni, the world owes you a job.

ReputationRep:
    You are annoying me now.
    Aberdeen has had nobel prize winners, it is a respectable uni with excellent ties to the oil and gas industry. It's an ancient, don't even try and put into the same bracket as Thames Valley.

Alistair Darling is an alumni of the law department.
    3 prize winners, compared to a page full

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...College_London

University of bradford has links to ASDA your point being?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    But surely there are some good students there? But if that was the case than why did they bother going to that university?
    A lot of people attend universities, because it is "expected", thank New Labour for that.

At the end of the day, once you start working in industry, you will realise, it does not matter that much.

Work on acquiring employable skills. Why should the company hire you? How are you different to all the other graduates coming out of uni with zero experience and skills?

Has everybody with whom I've worked with have 2:1s ? Of course not, many don't even have degrees. But they've been picking up skills in their spare time and just self learning. Heck, some of my seniors only achieved 2:2. It's not an excuse.

When I'm hiring people, I don't care which uni you graduated from, what your grade is, what your family background is or what you eat for breakfast. All I want to know is whether or not you have the skills to do the job and whether or not you'll fit into the team. I know and have seen grads with 1:1s who couldn't code their way out of a paperbag and I've seen BTEC holders pass interviews with flying colours.

As an IT graduate, you should be well aware you can learn most the skills you need from your own home. Be it, Software engineering, network administration, software testing, etc. Time to upgrade yourself

(If you're interested in Software Engineering, I've written some tips to successfully getting an entry level job in the industry in this thread. If that's the case, there should be plenty for you to get cracking on with to improve your employability).
    NX172 (earlier poster) summed it up perfectly here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    Wait.

what. the. ****.

You're presumably about 21 and you've NEVER had a job?

Jesus christ, be glad they'll let you work for free. Most people your age will have been in consistent employment for the past 5 years.

I had probably done about 10-12 different jobs by the time I finished uni and could have got a glowing reference off any one of them.

I'm 22 and I've never had a job. It's not uncommon either. Thankfully with medicine you're pretty much guaranteed a job at the end.

ReputationRep:
    3 prize winners, compared to a page full

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...College_London

University of bradford has links to ASDA your point being?
    Some universities don't even have 1 nobel prize winner.

Why are you arguing with me over something so petty, that no one gives a **** about.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities don't even have 1 nobel prize winner.

Why are you arguing with me over something so petty, that no one gives a **** about.
    You bought it up,lol. I didn't, your telling me you have this and that, again trying to justify how good it is. I don't need to justify how good UCL is for example, the name speaks for itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    2.2 is nothing special, perhaps even suggests you would have been better getting an IT apprenticeship?

IT is all about experience. Do some volunteer IT work for a charity or something and get some hands on experience.
    Computer science is not the same as IT. Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    You don't necessarily need to do a pgce to teach. I have seen BSc's in teaching.
    BScs in what?

ReputationRep:
    You bought it up,lol. I didn't, your telling me you have this and that, again trying to justify how good it is. I don't need to justify how good UCL is for example, the name speaks for itself.
    What do you expect, you are ****ging my uni off.

Along with giving me a massive lecture about graduate destinations from my department, when you have no affiliation with the institution.

You also feel like you are in a position to talk about how difficult degrees are, without having studied there.

Frankly - all annoying.

ReputationRep:
    What do you expect, you are ****ging my uni off.

Along with giving me a massive lecture about graduate destinations from my department, when you have no affiliation with the institution.
    Your giving people misleading information, by saying its in the same league as place as Imperial/UCL/KCL, why give someone misguiding information. Imagine someone turning town a higher institution on the basis of the wrong information your giving. People take posts on here like gospel. Not everyone reads a newspaper or third party material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I dont believe there is a degree in 'IT' that represents the industry though. Comp Sci is a proxy for the closest degree relavent to the industry. Business/management being the alternative really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    IT is a poor mans CS.

Normally people who do that, try to avoid the programming side of things. Little do they realise if you can't program, it is pointless of working in the industry, unless you want to go into sales or project management.

ReputationRep:
    Your giving people misleading information, by saying its in the same league as place as Imperial/UCL/KCL, why give someone misguiding information. Imagine someone turning town a higher institution on the basis of the wrong information your giving. People take posts on here like gospel. Not everyone reads a newspaper or third party material.
    For someone who studied at KCL, you can't read can you.

I never said Aberdeen was an ivy. I always said it was a good uni with a good department, and described it as mid ranked.

I even told one poster if he is after prestige, he should go to Imperial etc.

ReputationRep:
    For someone who studied at KCL, you can't read can you.

I never said Aberdeen was an ivy. I always said it was a good uni with a good department, and described it as mid ranked.

I even told one poster if he is after prestige, he should go to Imperial etc.
    I only read the posts im tagged in i keep getting tagged and inboxed messages every 5-10 mins.

ReputationRep:
    IT is a poor mans CS.

Normally people who do that, try to avoid the programming side of things. Little do they realise if you can't program, it is pointless of working in the industry, unless you want to go into sales or project management.
    Or Service Management
    Or Strategy and Architecture
    Or Business Analysis
    Or Change Control and Testing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    BScs in what?
    In primary education. For secondary, you need subject knowledge at undergrad level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    What? I got a 2.1 from a RG uni in Law with relatively minimal work. I am still out of a job since graduation in 2013. It is very difficult out there, very few jobs to give and intense competition.
    'With minimal work'. Explains why you're unemployed if that's your attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your degree and University prestige mean less and less each year. The reason the job centre are advising you to do unpaid voluntary work is because what DOES matter is workplace experience.

The reason everyone makes fun of how useless degrees are these days is because you can have a 1st from Oxford in your field and hell even a masters ontop. But if you've never stepped foot in a work place and never demonstrated your ability to do at least something like the job you're applying for, you go to the botom of the pile. It's not because they are completely uninterested in your academic achievment, it's just a whole bunch of people are applying for that same job and many will probably have similar, if not better academic credentials and experience to boot.

Boring yourself to death doing unpaid work is how you get a job these days.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.