Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenglishnogood)
    well europe and asia are two of the three earliest populated continents. i dont really what point that is , its hardly a remarkable fact.

inventions came about for a variety of reasons, more to do with migrations of people, wealth of civilisations, even spoils of war and conquest/colony

you could argue women werent as involved in technological advancemnt becuase they didnt travel as much as men , or go to war as readily for anything up to the last 200 years
    I agree with you, there are probably many explanations which have nothing to do with race.

ReputationRep:
    yeh fam it dead is :--)

ReputationRep:
    just to expand on what you are saying - there is actually no such thing as the 'white race' - so i didnt even know what he/you meant - caucasian people, people that 'look white' (if so we could discount some of the ancient greeks who were quite tanned)

I get it now. You are a racist. denying the existence of a people. Reducing the vast contributions of human civilisation to an iPod. Classy.

White people is just a modern word to describe people of European descent. They can be tanned or porcelain white. But, they are still part of the same group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    Africa is held back by bad ideas, dictators and a lack of scepticism and belief in the Western Enlightenment. You are conflating ideas with race.

So western ideas just magically popped into existence in Europe and not Africa?? Where did these ideas actually come from you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    The first caveman who counted his fish invented maths. But, es, you are correct. the numerals we use today came from India, and this is great. India gave Numerals to Mathematics. Great contribution.

But, Mathematics is a universal evolving language. Lots of people have contributed to it, Most of its contributions come from Western civilisation.

The Greeks for example laid the foundations for our modern understanding of mathematics.
    again , no. a cavemen just ate his fish, he didnt count them. we just dont use Indian numerals, we use the very base 10 system they did 2500 years ago, including the decimal system they used. both indian and ancient greece then moved on to fractions and calculations such as trigonometry and algebra, probably due to some co-existence of indian empires and greek/macedonian empires.

western contributions in maths didnt arrive till possibly late 17th century, but again they did not alter the fundamental system that came from india 2500 years ago (via the middle east), they just proved its validity by using it as the basis for all complex calculations required for advancements in engineering, physics, chemistry architecture etc

ReputationRep:
    I get it now. You are a racist. denying the existence of a people. Reducing the vast contributions of human civilisation to an iPod. Classy.

White people is just a modern word to describe people of European descent. They can be tanned or porcelain white. But, they are still part of the same group.
    no white is a colour ( or lack of it depending how you look at it) there are in reality no white people ( barring abinos) - there are pink people originating form somewhere in northern europe / arctic circle, and there are brown people originating further south asia/north africa etc. the people that invented the ipod are some mixing of descendants of these peoples

ReputationRep:
    true what viva emptiness said

Men as a whole have more retards as well as geniuses. Women are just more likely to be average.

ReputationRep:
    no white is a colour ( or lack of it depending how you look at it) there are in reality no white people ( barring abinos) - there are pink people originating form somewhere in northern europe / arctic circle, and there are brown people originating further south asia/north africa etc. the people that invented the ipod are some mixing of descendants of these peoples

No, i am southern European and very tanned, almost brown sometimes if i am out in the sun, but i am still Ethnic European.

Chinese people for example range from very white to tanned. But you wouldn't say the Chinese people do not exist would you?

Ah yes, the iPod, that invention which uses all of those other minor inventions like computing, the microchip, the discovery of electricity and on and on.....

ReputationRep:
    So western ideas just magically popped into existence in Europe and not Africa?? Where did these ideas actually come from you think?
    They came into existence through a slow process of communication and trade between different empires and civilisations over time.

ReputationRep:
    No, i am southern European and very tanned, almost brown sometimes if i am out in the sun, but i am still Ethnic European.

Chinese people for example range from very white to tanned. But you wouldn't say the Chinese people do not exist would you?

Ah yes, the iPod, that invention which uses all of those other minor inventions like computing, the microchip, the discovery of electricity and on and on.....
    in that case you arnt white, you are brown. europe is a continent, just like asia is - chinese asian is not the same as a afgani asian

ReputationRep:
    in that case you arnt white, you are brown. europe is a continent, just like asia is - chinese asian is not the same as a afgani asian

No, I'm not white. I'm Ethnic European. But i am 'white' because thats how Ethnic Europeans are described in the society.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not white. I'm Ethnic European. But i am 'white' because thats how Ethnic Europeans are described in the society.
    yes but that is a meaningless term. you can describe yourself as causcasian - but that might not be selective enough for you because caucasians range from indians up to russians.

unless you look something like this you cant accurately call yourself 'white' and even he is more pink that white still
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    There's no real mystery here, pretty much every psychological study shows that men have a higher variation in cognitive ability than women do, so there are more men at the extremes (both top and bottom). That means that men are far more likely to be geniuses, but also far more likely to be idiots

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...91886906000420
    http://pps.sagepub.com/content/1/4/316.abstract
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...60289606001115

Now throw in the fact that men have higher levels of testosterone and its known that exogenous increases in testosterone increase risk-taking behaviour which is generally necessary for success, and the fact that society is structured in a way that gives more incentive to shoot for the top, and its not really surprising they dominate all fields.

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/36/15268.short
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...91886910003417
    Damn fine post, thank you very much.

Have +8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    They came into existence through a slow process of communication and trade between different empires and civilisations over time.
    But, every other civilisation was also trading with other civilisations. So why did the scientific revolution, for example, only happen in the West?

ReputationRep:
    yes but that is a meaningless term. you can describe yourself as causcasian - but that might not be selective enough for you because caucasians range from indians up to russians.

unless you look something like this you cant accurately call yourself 'white' and even he is more pink that white still

Give it up. You know that white, in our modern language is just an interchangeable term for European. That's why i call myself White.

But, yes, i agree that people from the regions of Europe, Indian and Iran are all the same people. The Aryan people. We know this because our languages are all derived from the same single source some 6000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_languages

This is an Albino Indian lady. Looks very European:

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    But, every other civilisation was also trading with other civilisations. So why did the scientific revolution, for example, only happen in the West?
    Every other civilisation was not in contact with the great hub of human history. Australia and the Americas were both isolated for thousands of years. Africa was also isolated, not including the North.

ReputationRep:
    Female self made billionaires

1,Wu Yajun, Chinese, Property development, 3.9 billion
    2. Rosalie Mera, Spanish, Clothing, 3.5 billion
    3. Elena Baturina, Russian, Construction, 2.9 billion
    4. Doris Fisher, American, Clothing, 2.4 billion
    5. Xiu Li Hawken, UK citizen, property development, 2.4 billion
    6. Oprah Winfrey, American, Media, 2.4 billion
    7. Giulana Benetton, Italian, Clothing, 2.1 billion
    8. Chu Lam Yiu, Chinese, Flavourings and fragrances, 2.1 billion
    9. Zhang Xin, Chinese, property development, 2 billion
    10. Yan Cheung, Chinese, Waste paper, 1.7 billion
    11. Meg Whitman, American, Internet commerce, 1.3 billion
    12. Chan Laiwa, Chinese, property development, 1.1 billion
    13. Lei Jufang, Chinese, Medicines, 1.1 billion
    14. J.K. Rowling, British, Books, 1 billion

Also Denise coates is the founder of bet365 and has over a billion.. but females are stupid and need to get back in the kitchen :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    Female self made billionaires

1,Wu Yajun, Chinese, Property development, 3.9 billion
    2. Rosalie Mera, Spanish, Clothing, 3.5 billion
    3. Elena Baturina, Russian, Construction, 2.9 billion
    4. Doris Fisher, American, Clothing, 2.4 billion
    5. Xiu Li Hawken, UK citizen, property development, 2.4 billion
    6. Oprah Winfrey, American, Media, 2.4 billion
    7. Giulana Benetton, Italian, Clothing, 2.1 billion
    8. Chu Lam Yiu, Chinese, Flavourings and fragrances, 2.1 billion
    9. Zhang Xin, Chinese, property development, 2 billion
    10. Yan Cheung, Chinese, Waste paper, 1.7 billion
    11. Meg Whitman, American, Internet commerce, 1.3 billion
    12. Chan Laiwa, Chinese, property development, 1.1 billion
    13. Lei Jufang, Chinese, Medicines, 1.1 billion
    14. J.K. Rowling, British, Books, 1 billion

Also Denise coates is the founder of bet365 and has over a billion.. but females are stupid and need to get back in the kitchen :rolleyes:
    Being a billionaire has nothing to do with being a genius.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Being a billionaire has nothing to do with being a genius.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do you define genius? It's subjective I would say being able to make billions of pounds out of relatively little start up is genius in it's self.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    How do you define genius? It's subjective I would say being able to make billions of pounds out of relatively little start up is genius in it's self.
    That requires more luck than anything else. As markets are chaotic, even the greatest of geniuses, could not calculate predictions from chaos.

Genius is the ability to make intellectual leaps, in areas were everybody else hits a wall.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.