Why do people dislike Windows 8(.1)? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenglishnogood)
    crashes more often , as i type "thestudentroom.co.uk is not responding"
    So, errors in programs in the OS now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Press that windows icon in the corner to go to the desktop...
    If you really insist, download a start menu plugin
    You make it seem like it's obvious bloody techies! Thanks for that though,

yeah and earlier was disliking how they are dumbing things down to pretty squares with pictures so you click on them and accept everything.... I like to see everything a put it where I want to, not onto a thing that looks like a naff noticeboard... I may have to ditch windows and go get a mac - precisely what windows tried stopping everyone from doing, but I may have to....

I also find (on my dads windows 8 com) that everything seems to be huuuuuge I like everything to be seen at once - hence liking the desktop bit on windows 7, and I just find it irritating to operate as it swishes the screen side to side with all these stupid app like links...

but c'est la vie.....

ReputationRep:
    I had the beta before it came out. It was interesting, fairly fast on my existing software, but the apps thing was annoying. I'm using it on a computer and I don't want the traditional desktop metaphor being defined. I hate Windows 8(.1) for the same reasons that I will never use GNOME3 on Linux. It's a gimmick. Leave the gimmicks to the tablets and stuff. The apps never work and are dumbed down too much. The start menu thing was annoying and did alienate a lot of customers. From a operating system level, it's actually fairly good...for a Windows o/s.

My hate for Windows steps beyond 8(.1). Bill Gates is a good person, and has done a lot for humanity and stuff, and is certainly much more palatable than Apple and Steve Jobs, but I've been using Debian GNU/Linux exclusively for the past two years now, and have dual booted for about 7 years now. (MATE gives me the classic GNOME 2 look, and I am happy that the traditional desktop metaphor is safe for a while yet with this particular desktop environment).

ReputationRep:
    I actually dislike it for completely different reasons.

I worked in a computer repair area and Windows 8[.1] is just a pain to fix because it does random things all the time.

When devices update from 8 to 8.1 for example, about 30% of the time the manufacturer's wireless network driver is uninstalled and replaced with Microsoft's, and then the devices fail to connect to WPA2-Enterprise networks, including the university's.

To boot into safe mode, you need to boot into normal mode first.

Some aspects of the interface which was clearly designed for touchscreens are difficult to disable or remove.

Security-wise, BitLocker is still weak, the phishing filter over-protective, and security settings less familiar again.

It's the typical Windows pattern though - good-bad-good-bad...

Windows 95 - good
    Windows NT - bad
    Windows 98SE - good
    Windows 2000 - good
    Windows ME - bad
    Windows XP - good
    Windows Vista - bad
    Windows 7 - good
    Windows 8 - bad

Windows 9 or whatever we get next will probably be better in my view. It also, as someone has alluded to, gives people time to adjust to some of the interface changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    I had the beta before it came out. It was interesting, fairly fast on my existing software, but the apps thing was annoying. I'm using it on a computer and I don't want the traditional desktop metaphor being defined. I hate Windows 8(.1) for the same reasons that I will never use GNOME3 on Linux. It's a gimmick. Leave the gimmicks to the tablets and stuff. The apps never work and are dumbed down too much. The start menu thing was annoying and did alienate a lot of customers. From a operating system level, it's actually fairly good...for a Windows o/s.

My hate for Windows steps beyond 8(.1). Bill Gates is a good person, and has done a lot for humanity and stuff, and is certainly much more palatable than Apple and Steve Jobs, but I've been using Debian GNU/Linux exclusively for the past two years now, and have dual booted for about 7 years now. (MATE gives me the classic GNOME 2 look, and I am happy that the traditional desktop metaphor is safe for a while yet with this particular desktop environment).
    I hated the way GNOME was going as well for GNOME 3. They used to be the usable alternative to Unity (for Ubuntu users)... I ended up using MATE with Mint. Wish they would stop hopping on the gimmicks bandwagon.

I have been using Linux for a little more than 10 years. Still remember Red Hat 9 days! That was my very first distro. Back when Mandrake still existed (the successor, Mandriva, also died a few years ago I believe), and Debian stayed on XFree86 for the longest time (that was very annoying) in the Woody/Sarge era.

I recently switched to OSX for desktop and laptop, though, because I don't really have time to hack my computer anymore. It's interesting that OSX command line is actually very similar to Linux's (which is understandable since it's based on BSD), and I picked it up right away. I do miss APT though (OSX also has a few package managers, but none has a repository anywhere near as big).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.