The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You lot are bloody ridiculous :rofl:
Original post by AbdullahF
As the title says, in Islam, student loans are forbidden, due to interest on it, and as a Muslim, I want to avoid it, but I don't know how else am I meant to pay the tuition fees and other costs?

Really need some help here.

become a jew. i think they are allowed to pay interest
Original post by muj121
The job you get from your degree is not considered haram. The issue is with the interest not the degree. For example car insurance is haram. Does that mean that when I'm driving im accumulating sins? No.

Oh yes your right! I apologize. Thank you for correcting me. My logic there was an outright fail, I've since read it back and the knowledge is skewed.
Reply 103
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_PqT2VdMkw
Original post by AbdullahF
As the title says, in Islam, student loans are forbidden, due to interest on it, and as a Muslim, I want to avoid it, but I don't know how else am I meant to pay the tuition fees and other costs?

Really need some help here.
Interest build up starts when you receive the first payment, not after you graduate or earn over £21,000
I am a muslim student, from a low middle class family in birmingham.I am studying my second year at University and have managed to complete my first year without having to take a loan. (alhamdulillah)

Before starting uni I was 100% committed to not taking the loan, I wanted to go university but if I was not going to be able to fund it without taking a loan I was going to look to do something else, knowing the whole time my sacrifice would pay off. As the time for university got closer my elder brother managed to secure a well paid job and offered to help pay for my tuition fees. So now what we do is I put all of my 3k grant towards it and my brother puts in the remaining money.

Granted as of now money is not something of great abundance in our household, Despite that I feel this is the best decision I have ever made, I feel there will be more blessing in my degree and I have not signed away my akhira for the dunya. Alhamdulillah I am being given the best of both worlds.

This is my story so I thought I'd share it to give my muslim brothers and sisters some insight as to how a muslim student without a lot of money managed to avoid interest. Also I would like to stress the fact that interest is a really major sin so please do not consider it an option, do not sign away your akhirah for worldly satisfaction.

Avoid interest for the sake and pleasure of Allah and regardless of what hardship and difficulty you have to endure as a consequence of that decision the results in the end will be more than worth it.
Original post by al_94
Unfortunately in this country usury is pretty much the standard. You have to make the choice between not going to Uni or getting the loan if you can't afford to psy for it. Its a shame things have to be this way but that's the way it is.

So you chose self desire and hell instead? Surely going to university and dodging an eternity in hell is more appealing?
Original post by KrazyHusna
I have this issue too. I am starting at Kings College London. I will not sacrifice my religion for this dunya. I don't want to be involved in riba to educate myself.

My father is helping me out significantly. But its going to be a tight squeeze as my older brother is at university at the same time. I have no other sources of finance. As a Sister, its also going to be difficult to find a job in London, as I don't want to work anywhere where there is excessive free mixing or anything like that.

All we have is prayers. May Allah give us ease.

:rofl:

I didn't know KCL had a policy of sex segregation in lectures etc?
Try getting a scholarship? I'm not Muslim and I don't know much about the faith but it's basically free money so why not? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 109
Why don't you take money from your scholars? They live on social security, have several properties, have several bank accounts... in other words they are richer than many people, why don't they help you and give you a loan with no interests? Don't they want to apply sharia law?
Do you think that is fair for you?
Reply 110
Original post by hshah26
I am a muslim student, from a low middle class family in birmingham.I am studying my second year at University and have managed to complete my first year without having to take a loan. (alhamdulillah)

Before starting uni I was 100% committed to not taking the loan, I wanted to go university but if I was not going to be able to fund it without taking a loan I was going to look to do something else, knowing the whole time my sacrifice would pay off. As the time for university got closer my elder brother managed to secure a well paid job and offered to help pay for my tuition fees. So now what we do is I put all of my 3k grant towards it and my brother puts in the remaining money.

Granted as of now money is not something of great abundance in our household, Despite that I feel this is the best decision I have ever made, I feel there will be more blessing in my degree and I have not signed away my akhira for the dunya. Alhamdulillah I am being given the best of both worlds.

This is my story so I thought I'd share it to give my muslim brothers and sisters some insight as to how a muslim student without a lot of money managed to avoid interest. Also I would like to stress the fact that interest is a really major sin so please do not consider it an option, do not sign away your akhirah for worldly satisfaction.

Avoid interest for the sake and pleasure of Allah and regardless of what hardship and difficulty you have to endure as a consequence of that decision the results in the end will be more than worth it.

Not really a lot of use for anyone who doesn't have a rich brother to bail them out.
I have this issue too. I am starting at Kings College London. I will not sacrifice my religion for this dunya. I don't want to be involved in riba to educate myself.

My father is helping me out significantly. But its going to be a tight squeeze as my older brother is at university at the same time. I have no other sources of finance. As a Sister, its also going to be difficult to find a job in London, as I don't want to work anywhere where there is excessive free mixing or anything like that.

please.

the interest rate is so ridiculously low, it's hardly usuary...

assalamu alikom.
Reply 112
Or OP, you could just accept that islam is a ridiculously outdated religion, full of arbitrary rules that don make any sense in today's society.
Original post by Reue
Not really a lot of use for anyone who doesn't have a rich brother to bail them out.

Lol good point. The point I was trying to make was stay focused on the 1 important thing (Interest is a big NO)
If you do that everything will fall into place
Life is about principles, you stick to them and good things will happen
(edited 8 years ago)
The grant element of Student Finance is being abolished and will not be available to students starting in or after 2016. In future, all Student Finance will be in the form of an interest-bearing loan (those who are already at uni and receiving the grant, will continue to get it).

It's going to make the issue even worse, unfortunately.
Is it really necessary the university has to be in the UK? Many Turkish universities offer non interests based scholarships and are good. Why don't you apply for a scholarship and see?
Are student loans Qard?
Student loans do accrue interest but at a very low rate, equivalent to the rate of inflation. On a loan of £22,000, this could mean repaying £27,000 in total (based on 2.5% inflation and repaying the loan within 6 years of graduation). The difference ensures that the value of the loan that is repaid remains the same in real terms as the amount borrowed.

Islamic scholars are divided on whether student loans are compliant with Islamic (Shariah) law, with the argument hinging on whether the loans are in essence interest-free. Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari of Darul Iftaa, Leicester states that "when a loan is paid back, then the rate of inflation is not considered according to Shariah. One can only claim back exactly the amount which was given as loan." Dr. Monzer Kahf, a prominent Muslim Economist also believes that the interest charged on student loans does constitute Riba, “although it is less severe than normal increments that are not tied to inflation."

- See more at: http://www.money4medstudents.org/borrowing-under-shariah-law#sthash.iRTuDWS6.dpuf
Original post by apronedsamurai
Are student loans Qard?
Student loans do accrue interest but at a very low rate, equivalent to the rate of inflation. On a loan of £22,000, this could mean repaying £27,000 in total (based on 2.5% inflation and repaying the loan within 6 years of graduation). The difference ensures that the value of the loan that is repaid remains the same in real terms as the amount borrowed.

Islamic scholars are divided on whether student loans are compliant with Islamic (Shariah) law, with the argument hinging on whether the loans are in essence interest-free. Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari of Darul Iftaa, Leicester states that "when a loan is paid back, then the rate of inflation is not considered according to Shariah. One can only claim back exactly the amount which was given as loan." Dr. Monzer Kahf, a prominent Muslim Economist also believes that the interest charged on student loans does constitute Riba, “although it is less severe than normal increments that are not tied to inflation."

- See more at: http://www.money4medstudents.org/borrowing-under-shariah-law#sthash.iRTuDWS6.dpuf

My friend, a simple statement to M.Adam al Kawthari. If the value of the Currency rises,will the loan giver take less or more?
Let us say the Pound is worth 100 to 1 to a currency R. We take a loan of 100 pounds. 10 pound interest for 1 year. after a year,the pound is 90 to 1 R. so clearly,If i give 110 pounds, I am giving more than what was agreed upon (instead of 1.1 R, I am giving 1.22 R). If the loan giver agrees to take less if the value increases and more if it decreases, then it can be thought about. Otherwise one way or the other, it is interest but with different clothes
Reply 118
Original post by hshah26
Lol good point. The point I was trying to make was stay focused on the 1 important thing (Interest is a big NO)
If you do that everything will fall into place
Life is about principles, you stick to them and good things will happen

If you avoid interest, everything will fall into place?

I don't mean to question your religious beliefs but perhaps this one thing is not worthy of the importance you place upon it? Surely gaining a better education, more knowledge and better opportunities should be more important than an avoidance of interest.

Wait so how are you doing it? Because the punishment for Riba is the worst. May Allah save us all from it :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending