The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr. Django
Sweet so as I have a A*ABB it would hopefully just be an A in chem which would be ****ing glorious

LOL trust me! just have to get an interview and smash it! :biggrin:
Original post by adershsaravanaa
LOL trust me! just have to get an interview and smash it! :biggrin:

I trust you :biggrin:

I'm getting so excited haha. The thought of a second chance... Oh mayn.

*fingers crossed* I should get an interview as my ukcat is 760 and my predictions should equate to either A*AAA/A*A*AA with my achieved grades.

EXETER I LUV U. DO U LUFF ME?

*fingers crossed* I should get an interview as my ukcat is 760 and my predictions should equate to either A*AAA/A*A*AA with my achieved grades.

does exeter have a good night life?
Original post by frozo123
does exeter have a good night life?

I've heard that's it decent. As it's not a massive place apparently it's quite student orientated so you'll always see people out.

+ the medical campus is apparently closer to town and the main clubs which will be useful in times of late night inebriation

hahahaha i know! your stats are great so getting an interview shouldn't be a problem :smile: do you know when their interview dates are?
Original post by adershsaravanaa
hahahaha i know! your stats are great so getting an interview shouldn't be a problem :smile: do you know when their interview dates are?

As long as resitters truly are at no disadvantage I should be 'ite...but you never know :tongue:

I believe for uk applicants the majority are in December (pain as I'm away from the 12th). They do internationals in feb so said if you can't do any dates put it on UCAS/let them know and they'll try and accommodate.

This could be by 4th interview, and any offer would be my 4th as well xD

#veteran #oldtimer
As long as resitters truly are at no disadvantage I should be 'ite...but you never know :tongue:

I believe for uk applicants the majority are in December (pain as I'm away from the 12th). They do internationals in feb so said if you can't do any dates put it on UCAS/let them know and they'll try and accommodate.

This could be by 4th interview, and any offer would be my 4th as well xD

#veteran #oldtimer

indeed :biggrin::biggrin:

ah i see, i feel your pain as i'm going away around then too LOL. But yeah, they should be fine with rearranging interviews to the other dates.
Original post by Hudl
Your grades are very similar to mien where else did you apply last year

only difference is I have a UKCAT of 690 avg 2760 total

I also applied to plymouth, Nottingham and sheffield.

Sheffield rejected me straight away as they didn't count 3 of my A's at GCSE, so i didn't meet the minimum requirements. Nottingham rank on lots of things, but i didn't meet the cut for interview. Plymouth gave me an interview, which turned out to be identical to Exeter, but they rejected me later on.

Although your score isn't the same, you'll probably be in a similar ukcat percentile to me for this year.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Original post by JudgeJudy96
Yaaaaaaas I found the Exeter 2015 med applicant thread! Im a re-applicant, Exeter is my first choice, I love it there!

Do you know why Exeter rejected you last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaska
Do you know why Exeter rejected you last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I'm a re-applicant in general, I didn't apply to Exeter last year :smile:
Hi,

I'm thinking of applying to Exeter to study Medicine. However, I only got 645 in the UKCAT (520 in VR pulled it down) and i'm not sure if this will be above the cut-off score this year. Anyone have any idea what the cut off may be? and should I take the chance and apply?

Original post by ScienceGUYY
Hi,

I'm thinking of applying to Exeter to study Medicine. However, I only got 645 in the UKCAT (520 in VR pulled it down) and i'm not sure if this will be above the cut-off score this year. Anyone have any idea what the cut off may be? and should I take the chance and apply?

There's definitely no guarantee of an interview with that score, and if you did get one it would be a close thing. If I were you i'd consider some other options before Exeter, as each university puts an emphasis on different parts of the application.

The one good thing is that Exeter only give out offers based on interview performance, i.e. they ignore your academic profile once you have gained an interview :smile:
Original post by GlaisDragon
There's definitely no guarantee of an interview with that score, and if you did get one it would be a close thing. If I were you i'd consider some other options before Exeter, as each university puts an emphasis on different parts of the application.

The one good thing is that Exeter only give out offers based on interview performance, i.e. they ignore your academic profile once you have gained an interview :smile:

Thanks for your reply. I saw this document on preliminary scores and the average was 636.5 (mine just above average). So yeah, I think if I got an interview, it would be close.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20150914.pdf
Original post by ScienceGUYY
Hi,

I personally wouldn't risk it but it's up to you. Last year the average was 660 nationally and exeters cutoff was 697.5.

If this years average is 635-640 ish I'd imagine the cutoff would be more like 670. Just my opinion, I guess we'll have to wait and see
Hi,

I am a Scottish Applicant considering applying to Exeter, I phone the admissions office and they said my grades met the minimum entry requirements.

Was getting pretty hyped until I got my 640 in my UKCAT... (Yeh, Verbal Reasoning always ruins it for me). I know that this wont meet the cut-off for this year, so I was wondering whether it was ever heard of for anyone to get an interview without meeting the UKCAT cut-off? (I am aware that that question sort of answers itself)
Original post by Finn The Human
Hi,

I am a Scottish Applicant considering applying to Exeter, I phone the admissions office and they said my grades met the minimum entry requirements.

Was getting pretty hyped until I got my 640 in my UKCAT... (Yeh, Verbal Reasoning always ruins it for me). I know that this wont meet the cut-off for this year, so I was wondering whether it was ever heard of for anyone to get an interview without meeting the UKCAT cut-off? (I am aware that that question sort of answers itself)

I'm afraid that i've not met anyone here who wasn't over the ukcat cutoff. It's he easiest way for medical schools to eliminate candidates, and there's a running history of people suing medical schools for unfair selection. this means the university has to stick to a clearly defined process.

Hope that was clear :smile:
I'm afraid that i've not met anyone here who wasn't over the ukcat cutoff. It's he easiest way for medical schools to eliminate candidates, and there's a running history of people suing medical schools for unfair selection. this means the university has to stick to a clearly defined process.

Hope that was clear :smile:

Thanks, I know it is the fault of the medical school, just wanted to check whether there was even a slim chance I would get an interview. Still unsure whether to apply, it is the only place I can apply to in England and it looks really good :/.
Original post by Finn The Human
Thanks, I know it is the fault of the medical school, just wanted to check whether there was even a slim chance I would get an interview. Still unsure whether to apply, it is the only place I can apply to in England and it looks really good :/.

I know it's a tough situation, remember that reapplying is an option if your ukcat is what's holding you back. I think that reapplicants often make a significant increase to their score second time round as well, I think I read around an average of 100 points onto the total score :smile:
I have predictions of AAA but I reaaaaally still wanna apply, should I go for it or is it pointless?
I know it's a tough situation, remember that reapplying is an option if your ukcat is what's holding you back. I think that reapplicants often make a significant increase to their score second time round as well, I think I read around an average of 100 points onto the total score :smile:

Yeh, I am a reapplicant... I got 660 last year (which is basically the same score as this year when you give it the context of the averages). The reason I didn't improve was because they made my best section (DA) waaayy tougher to the point where I lost almost 200 points in it compared to last year, so my improvement in all the other sections (by about 40 points each) got cancelled out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending