Turn on thread page Beta

Should the wealthy be taxed more just because they can afford to pay it? watch

• View Poll Results: Is it fair welathy people are taxed more?
    Yes - wealthy people should be taxed at a higher rate of tax
    37.20%
    No - everyone should be taxed the same rate
    32.32%
    I don't know
    1.83%
    Yes - wealthy people should be taxed more and the current rate for welathy people needs to be increased
    17.07%
    Yes - wealthy people should be taxed more and the current rate for welathy people needs to decrease
    11.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Abolish income tax, raise VAT. Tax people only on what they spend and makes it impossible to dodge.
    That would totally screw over the poorest people since the poorest people spend a higher proportion their money than those who are most wealthy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    That would totally screw over the poorest people since the poorest people spend a higher proportion their money than those who are most wealthy.
    I think a better way of claiming it screws the poor is that they pay little or no income tax, so their tax "bill" will go up significantly with little or no increase in income. Definitely a smaller income boost than tax boost, especially given how much VAT would have to go up.

And, going to the quoted comment, it would be possible to dodge because black markets would begin to become more prevalent.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it would make things fairer

Remove VAT on all basic living essentials.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Reue)

How would it make it fairer? In terms of percentage of income paid in tax it's already fair until you go to the absolute extremes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    In terms of percentage of income paid in tax it's already fair
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's your opinion, I'd disagree
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Reue)
    That's your opinion, I'd disagree
    So you don't believe that a system where everybody pays about the same amount of tax relative to their income is fair?
    What is then? Forcing the rich out of the country by making them pay for everything, or making the poor starve by making them pay for everything?

ReputationRep:
    Really don't see why those who earn a little more than the rest should be penalised, they've worked hard for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you don't believe that a system where everybody pays about the same amount of tax relative to their income is fair?
    What is then? Forcing the rich out of the country by making them pay for everything, or making the poor starve by making them pay for everything?
    I don't see how everyone is paying the same amounts of tax relative to income. If the poor are to be believed that they struggle to afford even basic living items; these are mostly VAT exempt and so they pay little to no tax. Compared to those on 30k who pay about 30% tax before even purchasing anything.

ReputationRep:
    Very funny.

Most Libertarians are angry White men who are nowhere near as wealthy or or needed by the country as they like to think, equally most people in favour of progressive taxation are themselves generally successful and well educated. Heck most economists support progressive taxation for very pragmatic reasons.
    The views I got are from BSc students and teachers who pretty much aren't in favour of progressive taxation unless if they are elites from MNCs and I suppose they are well educated people too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Reue)
    I don't see how everyone is paying the same amounts of tax relative to income. If the poor are to be believed that they struggle to afford even basic living items; these are mostly VAT exempt and so they pay little to no tax. Compared to those on 30k who pay about 30% tax before even purchasing anything.
    Those on 30k are only paying about 4k in tax, that's hardly 30% of their income.
    Look at it this way, the more you earn the more you pay in income tax, but all other taxes are lower relative to income, it's not until you get to the top 1 or 2% of earners when you're well into the 40% tax rate, having negative tax codes, losing your tax free allowance, entering the 45% rate that you start paying more, but you don't have to believe me, here's the source ONS statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)

We get a significant revenue stream from IT and NI, the wealthy also have a higher propensity to save.

Far better imo to abolish income tax for those on incomes less than 36k (nobody below average pays and plenty of room for future average wage growth before you'd need to pay), above that have 40% to 100k and then 45% above (Scrap NI so we just have one IT). With regards to VAT I'd abolish it for goods costing less than 100 but agree with raising it on goods above that to say 30%. Finally I'd abolish BR which since we have CT just burden small business.

Pay for it with a further 50bn in spending cuts coming from foreign aid, welfare and health. Can also raise a few taxes on Cannabis and alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcatas)
    Tax is essentially theft.

I understand tax is needed for government and public services and I guess that justifies it in the current stant.
    Reducing state spending is however better than raising tax.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    x
    True to be honest. If taxation didn't exist I'd donate more to causes I believed in. Not so easy to do when you're already being rinsed of thousands and politicians are investing that money in the ways that suit them as opposed to the ways the electorate want. Many universities in America operate on philanthropy and I society would be better for it too. What makes people resentful is the fact this money is taken from them through taxation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by kbw)
    So, what would stop all these CEOs/Doctors/Lawyers/Engineers etc from moving to, say, Sweden, where they wouldn't face this 10x cap?

What you're doing is, in effect, putting a 100% tax rate on earnings over £60.31 an hour. If the work you're doing is valued by the market (i.e. you and me) as being worth more than that, your only option is to leave the country, or stop producing. I mean, we're already doing quite well out of French people who've fled from a 70% rate. Imagine the exodus if it was 100%.
    You're talking about implementing a cap, I'm talking about ethics.

I'm saying how people should be given fair wages based on the idea that no one needs to be paid 10x more than anyone else.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I understand tax is needed for government and public services and I guess that justifies it in the current stant.
    Where are you going to make the cuts then? For the most part the places that are easiest cut are the places that will lose you your majority in parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    relevant quote

Listening to the likes of him would result in people dieing. It's a terrible quote. For that to work there would need to be a massive shift in how human beings behave in society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vikingraid)
    The views I got are from BSc students and teachers who pretty much aren't in favour of progressive taxation unless if they are elites from MNCs and I suppose they are well educated people too.
    I'm 21 and throughout my life the majority of extremely successful people I have met, have all seemed genuinely sympathetic towards people in unfortunate positions, while the only people who think that the poor are stupid and lazy are people who think that 30K a year and a couple of blue shirts make them part of the elite

tl;dr - Lolled hard, you're an idiot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm 21 and throughout my life the majority of extremely successful people I have met, have all seemed genuinely sympathetic towards people in unfortunate positions, while the only people who think that the poor are stupid and lazy are people who think that 30K a year and a couple of blue shirts make them part of the elite

tl;dr - Lolled hard, you're an idiot.
    Really? ONLY people who are on low income and think they're part of the elite?

ReputationRep:
    Really? ONLY people who are on low income and think they're part of the elite?
    It's just an observation really.

People who obsess over the poor and constantly claim "oh they have it so easy, cut benefits, cut taxes, send them to the workhouse" tend to be in the daily mail reader economic bracket.

ReputationRep:

Er no it isn't.

Theft is only a thing because ownership is a thing and the same laws which say you own your wealth and property, are the same laws which say you don't own what you have to pay in tax.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.