Virgin Rocket Ship Crash Watch

Poll: Would you want to go into space?
Yes (58)
73.42%
No (15)
18.99%
Only if I'm on the flight with Branson (6)
7.59%
DErasmus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone else think it sounds a little boring? You get in the rocket, probably get a few hours of 'omg this is brilliant' look at all the stars and then spend a few years with similiar scenery because of how big it is? Then you get to Mars and what its just a giant rock? And then you die.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
The current safety record based on the tests is well over 90%, the overall safety record of modern rocket launches is in excess of 95%
I am guessing most of those tests have not been done with ordinary people on board. Most of those tests were done with staff working in the aerospace industry and a minority perhaps with rich people. But mass-transport to space will have to support non-trained staff that not even will be useless to manipulate controls in case of emergency but that will be likely to actively harm the internal spacecraft. And it would not be surprising to find out (after several people die) that some people's biology is such that a travel to space needs consumption of certain drugs. And what happens if you get stranded in space? Will you be able to survive until help comes? Because help is gonna take a long while to come (once they know you are in trouble AND they know where are you). Compare that to a place having problems and just doing emergency landing on nearest patch of land available.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
get a room!
Shall you put down the gold for it?

We will have to refuse your offer. Please, good man, keep your gold.

Your bed will do.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
I am guessing most of those tests have not been done with ordinary people on board. Most of those tests were done with staff working in the aerospace industry and a minority perhaps with rich people. But mass-transport to space will have to support non-trained staff that not even will be useless to manipulate controls in case of emergency but that will be likely to actively harm the internal spacecraft. And it would not be surprising to find out (after several people die) that some people's biology is such that a travel to space needs consumption of certain drugs. And what happens if you get stranded in space? Will you be able to survive until help comes? Because help is gonna take a long while to come (once they know you are in trouble AND they know where are you). Compare that to a place having problems and just doing emergency landing on nearest patch of land available.
You talk of non-trained staff being able to fly the craft. Is that a concern for you when you fly? Because if it is, never go in a plane again, somebody that could fly and land a commercial jet without any prior experience is relatively rare to come by.
As far as some people not being able to manage it, well, that's a given. Some people can't fly in Jets, to go on galactic you need to pass several tests to prove you're physically capable of it.
As for getting stranded, well, I should think by the time mass transit is in space, there would be a reason for it. If it's over a long distance then there will be somebody on the other end. I would also expect practical speeds to have increased dramatically, as such, it would logically be little different to being stranded on a boat on the water, except you will keep heading towards the destination (and the little issue of outside being more lethal), but this sort of analysis can also be used for the transport we use now as justification not to use it. what if your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere?
username1530463
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I want to go to space to colonise a planet.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Runninground)
Apparently that whole project is mainly funded by the local government....

I'm in two minds... I think it's an interesting idea and it's great that he is trying to develop new technology.

However why do we need it? Sure, you can go into space but what is in space that we need? It's not like developing a new aircraft that can get you from London to New York in 15 mins (useful for commuters and business people). So Branson gets his rocket working and sends people into space for a nice view. What next? Unless you can use the tech in something useful, there isn't much point.

We can't go and live on the other planets, and his idea to build hotels in space is pretty pointless too. It's only really useful if we could get outside of our solar system and search for what exists that we don't know about, that could be useful (a planet like earth for example). Otherwise it's just a fairground attraction for rich celebs.
Many things may suprise you..

To start with, Skylon are developing an engine for their spaceship (on course for the early 2020's) which has the commercial application of allowing one to get on the new Concorde or whatever they will call it and travel from London to Sydney in 5 hours should it work.

There are many things in space we need, the mineral wealth of a single asteroid just 1km big can be estimated in the trillions. Mining a single one could provide us with with a years worth of rare earth resources like Platinum.

That depends on what you define living. 200,000 people recently applied to go live on Mars in the 2020's.

That depends on what you consider pointless. The demand for space tourism (be it flights or hotels) is there and may well increase as the price drops.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
X
(Original post by Maid Marian)
X
Marian, you seem to have a thing for spanish posters, flirting with 2 now! :lol:
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This bit reminds me of something I heard recently about the Victorians, who thought the human body would disintegrate if it traveled at more than 15mph.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do they pay you for posting these random questions coupled with polls?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
This bit reminds me of something I heard recently about the Victorians, who thought the human body would disintegrate if it traveled at more than 15mph.
I thought it was irreparable brain damage over either 20 or 30
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought it was irreparable brain damage over either 20 or 30
Well something along those lines, I've heard a few variations.
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Marian, you seem to have a thing for spanish posters, flirting with 2 now! :lol:
I wasn't flirting with Juichiro :no:
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Runninground)
What next? Unless you can use the tech in something useful, there isn't much point
Both penicillin and xrays were developed without any practical application in mind.

They later turned out to be rather useful.

Human beings have 2 fundamental goals: to procreate and to explore. This is a method of the latter. It will allow more people than ever before to explore something that very few have ever done and it will lead to other developments, every jump in aviation technology in history has done, why would this be different?
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
How do you know? :eek:
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
I wasn't flirting with Juichiro :no:
Mr CS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
They'll work out exactly what caused the crash and make sure it never happens again.
It's a pity bankers can never seem to do this.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr CS)
Last I checked, economics is much more chaotic and difficult to predict.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr CS)
Bankers did become risk averse after the recession, mortgage lending fell to levels not seen since the 1970's. Government has since intervened in the credit markets.
Mr CS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Bankers did become risk averse after the recession, mortgage lending fell to levels not seen since the 1970's. Government has since intervened in the credit markets.
It was a tongue in cheek comment.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How do you know? :eek:
Pretty sure I've seen you post on the Spanish Society :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise