The Student Room Group

Ladies! Will you be changing your name when you get married? Poll.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
In a way, its a choice between your dads last name and husbands last name. Dont want to keep my dads name, so I would take up my husbands last name
Original post by Reue
What's to get confused about?
I made a point, you repeated that point, I agreed with the point.

No, I dont particularly understand why someone would want to get married given that it involves so many "unfair sexist" things they do not wish to do.

You either get married and accept the traditions.. or don't get married. Legally there's no difference anymore in this country compared to long-term unmarried couples.

You don't have to either take or leave them. You can like the idea of marriage as a lifelong bond/commitment, and want to do it to celebrate that, but dislike the "unfair sexist" traditions and not partake in them.
And there certainly are legal difference. Your husband/wife is your next of kin and will get your assets were something to happen to you. Same with health insurance. If you're unmarried, these things become more complex - you'd have to make wills and other legal documents. Pretty sure there are also tax benefits for married couples, but don't quote me on that. Medically, if you were in hospital, your husband/wife would be the person to make decisions for you. If you're not married it becomes questionable and if there's disagreement between you and other relatives your views may not be counted as you are technically not even a relative.
Original post by Plumstone
My parents double barreled their names when they got married and I would like to double barrel if/when I get married - I'd probably swap out my dad's part of my maiden name for my husband's surname and keep the bit that I got from my mum.

Why would you swap out your dad's? Just curious :smile:
In Germany, names are being phased out, as zey are deemed inefficient.
I am surprised at the large proportion voting "no", simply because even with young couples I know getting married recently, the woman always changes her name.
Original post by joker12345
Why would you swap out your dad's? Just curious :smile:

I love my dad, but it's my mum who really brought me up - she has had much more of an influence on me than my dad has. Also, in her side of the family, there are some very clear character traits which I see as part of my identity e.g. we say all the time "Oh that's such a Name thing to do!" or "Oh, you're such a Name". If I lost that name, I would be losing a pretty big part of myself.

I do, however, think that it's important that my husband and I share a name: for me, marriage is about creating a new identity together, not just one person being subsumed into the other person's identity.
I think I screwed the results up by voting... doh!
This isn't the problem really. The problem is what do you call the kids.
Reply 108
Original post by scrotgrot
This isn't the problem really. The problem is what do you call the kids.

I'll give them a name that'll scar them for life:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Norin
I'll give them a name that'll scar them for life:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Man hands on misery to man
Reply 110

?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
Because most people don't do that these days...

I know that but I usually find out about these weird traditions
Reply 112
Original post by Andy98
I know that but I usually find out about these weird traditions

:dontknow:
Original post by Snagprophet
It's a no brainer that women should change their name. It's ridiculous that this is no longer enforced.

You're joking, right? You are joking.

Please God, tell me you're joking.

Women haven't been forced, if you mean legally, to change their name, since the days when they had no right to any of their own possessions- not their money, not their children, not even their own identity and legal personhood- as soon as they were married. And I am not asking you if you want to go back to those days- your comment speaks for itself on that front- but whether you truly believe, in your heart of hearts, that women should be forced to cede the very syllables in which their identity resides to the man they marry. I would ask you 'why only women? why not men?', but I fear it would fall on deaf ears.

Let me translate, fair maiden :hat2:

People pass their misery onto their offspring.

I just learn random crap
Reply 115
Original post by Andy98
Let me translate, fair maiden :hat2:

People pass their misery onto their offspring.
Oh, well if anything, I'll make them go through the opposite of what, i go through. If only it was possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would, but if the surname was awful I wouldn't.
Original post by Norin
Oh, well if anything, I'll make them go through the opposite of what, i go through. If only it was possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a start they've got me :yep:
Reply 118
Original post by Andy98
For a start they've got me :yep:
No doubt about that, but that only helps a little

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't yet decided.

I have nothing against changing my name, but I can see it would be a hassle. By the time I get married (assuming I do), I'll have two degrees and possibly professional qualifications in my maiden name.

So probably wouldn't change it, but I wouldn't care if I was known as "Mrs X" socially.

Edit: Plus, my first name with my boyfriend's last name sounds rather.. silly.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest