Fine Art 2015 Applications Watch

Artfanatic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meganabcdefg)
It was in a pretty similar order to how I put it in but the order was in reverse if that makes sense! And they'd moved my sketchbooks and stuff into a different pocket! So they must have gone through everything

I soooo want an interview but trying not to keep my hopes up too much because I know how tough it is! Yeah I thought I might as well go for it and apply else I'll never know!!

And ermm I had a mix of stuff really - I put in some photography, some media conceptual work, some painting and had some drawings and studies for things in my sketchbook! I thinkkk that's about it haha what about you?
Sounds pretty good then! I hope mine returns like that even if I am rejected. When I sent it to Oxford it was exactly the same!

Mine sounds very similar to yours but perhaps more focus on drawing. Have you been to the open days or anything?

What are your grades like? (Do you think they really care about them?)

Sorry for bombarding with questions it's just exciting to find out I guess!
meganabcdefg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Artfanatic)
Sounds pretty good then! I hope mine returns like that even if I am rejected. When I sent it to Oxford it was exactly the same!

Mine sounds very similar to yours but perhaps more focus on drawing. Have you been to the open days or anything?

What are your grades like? (Do you think they really care about them?)

Sorry for bombarding with questions it's just exciting to find out I guess!
Really! That's strange that they returned it exactly the same! Did you get an interview there?

And oh cool are you an international student then (as you sent it by post)?

Erm I got 2 A*s and an A at A-level but when I was at the open day they said that if you don't quite have/get the grades but they really like your work then they will fight to get you in! So I wouldn't worry too much about grades.

Where else did you apply apart from Slade and Oxford?
Artfanatic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Really! That's strange that they returned it exactly the same! Did you get an interview there?

And oh cool are you an international student then (as you sent it by post)?

Erm I got 2 A*s and an A at A-level but when I was at the open day they said that if you don't quite have/get the grades but they really like your work then they will fight to get you in! So I wouldn't worry too much about grades.

Where else did you apply apart from Slade and Oxford?
No I am from the UK just it was cheaper and easier for me to send in through post then travel to London. No, I didn't get an interview from then surprisingly!

Ah so you are on a foundation now? I am predicted 2A*s and 2As and got 4As last year. I would of presumed they wouldn't care much haha

I applied to Ox, Slade, Edinburgh, Lancaster and UAL however I withdrew from Camberwell. Just wasn't feeling the vibes so didn't want to put time and effort into it. How about you?
bertiewallace123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wonder whether there is a correlation between how jumbled up your portfolio is and getting invited for an interview... we will have to see..
Notwinter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bertiewallace123)
I wonder whether there is a correlation between how jumbled up your portfolio is and getting invited for an interview... we will have to see..
I guess so... but I'm not sure there is any. As 3 people isn't really a lot to go on. I'm 99% sure that I won't get an interview. Which is 89% more than my chance of getting one haha.
Only 6 days now. I've heard that BA get replies really quick, then it's the rejections then it's the BFA. But I wouldn't know... this is just from what I can gather. I've sort of run out of things to analyse now :-)

Have they sent yours back yet?
meganabcdefg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Artfanatic)
No I am from the UK just it was cheaper and easier for me to send in through post then travel to London. No, I didn't get an interview from then surprisingly!

Ah so you are on a foundation now? I am predicted 2A*s and 2As and got 4As last year. I would of presumed they wouldn't care much haha

I applied to Ox, Slade, Edinburgh, Lancaster and UAL however I withdrew from Camberwell. Just wasn't feeling the vibes so didn't want to put time and effort into it. How about you?
Ah thats fair enough - travel can be so expensive in to London!!

Yeah I'm on a foundation course now at Oxford Brookes I can see now why I didn't get an interview last year though - although my A-Level work was technically good my ideas behind the work weren't developed enough I think!

If you're not feeling that you would enjoy Camberwell then that is definitely the best decision! No point going somewhere you don't really want to go!

So nervous waiting now!! I imagine we will find out some time next week ahh!
bertiewallace123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Notwinter)
I guess so... but I'm not sure there is any. As 3 people isn't really a lot to go on. I'm 99% sure that I won't get an interview. Which is 89% more than my chance of getting one haha.
Only 6 days now. I've heard that BA get replies really quick, then it's the rejections then it's the BFA. But I wouldn't know... this is just from what I can gather. I've sort of run out of things to analyse now :-)

I'm also taking the unconfident attitude with the application as I learnt the hard way how easily confidence can be shattered by a rejection. (ultimately for the best I suppose).

I had a day out in London so just dropped it off then collected it in the evening. My portfolio was mildly jumbled up and the paper with descriptions was well thumbed but as you said there isn't anything else left to analyse. Is it really true that BA's hear back sooner? surely both BA and BFA are equally weighted and therefore respond equally soon or late. >?
meganabcdefg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Did you apply for the BA? I applied for the BFA! Gahhh it's so unlikely I will get an interview but I just want to know haha!
Notwinter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you apply for the BA? I applied for the BFA! Gahhh it's so unlikely I will get an interview but I just want to know haha!
I did BFA too! apparently a lot less people apply for it than BA.
I feel the same! Just want to know.
Notwinter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm also taking the unconfident attitude with the application as I learnt the hard way how easily confidence can be shattered by a rejection. (ultimately for the best I suppose).

I had a day out in London so just dropped it off then collected it in the evening. My portfolio was mildly jumbled up and the paper with descriptions was well thumbed but as you said there isn't anything else left to analyse. Is it really true that BA's hear back sooner? surely both BA and BFA are equally weighted and therefore respond equally soon or late. >?
I know what you mean! I have wanted Slade for years and years. So I'm not sure I'm going to take it greatly because they've just taken my whole life and gone "nope don't want you" and that's like a bigggggg thing. Oh gosh, I'm so morbid. But at the same time, I'm probably just not suited to them.

What day did you submit? I did mine monday!
Well from what I've heard loads more apply to BA than to BFA.. so maybe they make that choice first. Some people find out really quickly on thursday and some will find out like 4th of March. I'm sure it means something. I'm not sure I can wait thattttt long
meganabcdefg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did BFA too! apparently a lot less people apply for it than BA.
I feel the same! Just want to know.
I just saw your work on another thread and it looks awesome!! Oh really? I didn't know that!! I heard that they don't look at whether you've applied for BA or BFA though when deciding on who comes to interview - they only look at it once at interview.
Notwinter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just saw your work on another thread and it looks awesome!! Oh really? I didn't know that!! I heard that they don't look at whether you've applied for BA or BFA though when deciding on who comes to interview - they only look at it once at interview.
Thanks!
I'm not sure.. like it's only speculation. I read it from another thread where people were panicking and trying to guess why some came sooner and some came later and the only correlation they found was BFA vs BA, but I'm sure you're right.

Do you think the ones that are the quickest are the ones they are 100% sure of and then they narrow it down?
meganabcdefg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks!
I'm not sure.. like it's only speculation. I read it from another thread where people were panicking and trying to guess why some came sooner and some came later and the only correlation they found was BFA vs BA, but I'm sure you're right.

Do you think the ones that are the quickest are the ones they are 100% sure of and then they narrow it down?

Hmmm maybe! I have literally no idea! Or it could be alphabetical? :confused::confused::confused:
bertiewallace123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know what you mean! I have wanted Slade for years and years. So I'm not sure I'm going to take it greatly because they've just taken my whole life and gone "nope don't want you" and that's like a bigggggg thing. Oh gosh, I'm so morbid. But at the same time, I'm probably just not suited to them.

What day did you submit? I did mine monday!
Well from what I've heard loads more apply to BA than to BFA.. so maybe they make that choice first. Some people find out really quickly on thursday and some will find out like 4th of March. I'm sure it means something. I'm not sure I can wait thattttt long
Through sheer fluke I was able to submit on Thursday, they refreshed the booking times last friday literally as I was about to choose the Monday slot so got a much needed 3 day extension. (a sign from the Gods?). Still spent the next week working 24/7 on the portoflio finishing pretty much the night before (a tendency of mine).

I know what you mean, you spend your teenage years being bigged up as the 'best art student in your school' you can draw you can paint you can do the lot, but what the Slade and other 'progressive' art schools want is something other. And that other is an unquantifiable unknown and therefore quite terrifying. When the illusion of greatness is inevitably shattered it does bring you down for a good week or so but gradually you get up, dust yourself down and realise what you did wrong and how to move forward. With a cosy middle class upbringing rejection is a shock to the system (even harder for the big fish in small ponds) but ultimately it will do you a great service in that it will prepare you for the 'real world'.

I think this post and the rest are from now on just going to be there to psychologically ready ourselves for rejection.
Notwinter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Through sheer fluke I was able to submit on Thursday, they refreshed the booking times last friday literally as I was about to choose the Monday slot so got a much needed 3 day extension. (a sign from the Gods?). Still spent the next week working 24/7 on the portoflio finishing pretty much the night before (a tendency of mine).

I know what you mean, you spend your teenage years being bigged up as the 'best art student in your school' you can draw you can paint you can do the lot, but what the Slade and other 'progressive' art schools want is something other. And that other is an unquantifiable unknown and therefore quite terrifying. When the illusion of greatness is inevitably shattered it does bring you down for a good week or so but gradually you get up, dust yourself down and realise what you did wrong and how to move forward. With a cosy middle class upbringing rejection is a shock to the system (even harder for the big fish in small ponds) but ultimately it will do you a great service in that it will prepare you for the 'real world'.

I think this post and the rest are from now on just going to be there to psychologically ready ourselves for rejection.
oh gosh this summed it up perfectly. When you've been dedicated and hard working and all you do is visualize success and then you don't get it. It's not necessarily you don't deserve it, but maybe something went wrong or it just wasn't for you. But we will all get over it and do to good places, so it doesn't really matter that much./

I wish I did mine Thursday too so I had them extra days to think "what the hell am I doing" and sort everything out :-)
Notwinter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmmm maybe! I have literally no idea! Or it could be alphabetical? :confused::confused::confused:
perhaps! We will never know!!!

I like the thought that next year and 5 years to come people will see this thread and relate haha. Just like we have done with all the other threads before us
meganabcdefg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
perhaps! We will never know!!!

I like the thought that next year and 5 years to come people will see this thread and relate haha. Just like we have done with all the other threads before us

Haha I know! I can't tell you how many threads I've poured over :doh:
I hope some of what we say will end up being useful to others haha!
Notwinter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha I know! I can't tell you how many threads I've poured over :doh:
I hope some of what we say will end up being useful to others haha!
It's funny though because (right this probably means absaloutley nothing, my brain has gone weird) The people that have written in threads before us have mainly like 5 people obsessing and there's like 5 of us. And each time 4 of them 5 get interviews. Maybe it's because we are all obsessed with art enough to start threads of it haha

but yeah it means nothing probably
bertiewallace123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha yh its history in the making, perhaps the Slade looks at these threads for a laugh

What I have noticed looking through students work is that those from cities like Manchester, Brighton and London have a cultural advantage over those from the provinces (like myself) in that their work can relate to the cultural experiences of tutors/practitioners. The provinces being some years behind in their taste in art are therefore at a disadvantage(1950 is the cut off point for artistic taste in my area) ; their paintings and sketches considered wonderful by village elders are usually frowned upon by the left-leaning North London intellectuals as regressive (a fair anaylsis I suppose). This means that in order to create work suitable for Slade etc you have to break with the village system and identify yourself with artists far away in the big city, which can and was a painful but hopefully worthwhile process (a focus point for some of my early work).
Notwinter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha yh its history in the making, perhaps the Slade looks at these threads for a laugh

What I have noticed looking through students work is that those from cities like Manchester, Brighton and London have a cultural advantage over those from the provinces (like myself) in that their work can relate to the cultural experiences of tutors/practitioners. The provinces being some years behind in their taste in art are therefore at a disadvantage(1950 is the cut off point for artistic taste in my area) ; their paintings and sketches considered wonderful by village elders are usually frowned upon by the left-leaning North London intellectuals as regressive (a fair anaylsis I suppose). This means that in order to create work suitable for Slade etc you have to break with the village system and identify yourself with artists far away in the big city, which can and was a painful but hopefully worthwhile process (a focus point for some of my early work).
oh my gosh imagine how embarrassing and stalky I sound. I'd hate to read this all back.
Someone wrote a few threads back about how lots of people produce all the same sort of stuff. I get what you mean, living in a city is an advantage. I'e met some people that have only been to 1 art gallery on a field trip. But living in London you can go to any at any time.
If people have done abstract work they look at Picasso and Rothko and that's it. And no one really ventures out and is inspired by other smaller people. It's very A level in that sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise