The Student Room Group

What do you think is a good salary and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
I eat very well.

I didn't mean the taste. I meant the quality.
£60-£100. It's pretty much enough to just about get by.
Original post by scrawlx101
Just wondering...keep in mind bills,rent,needs and wants....

A desirable peak salary living alone would be around £50k pre tax. A desirable pre-tax household income with children and a wife would be around £65k.
(edited 9 years ago)
What ever it is double it to account for the ridiculous tax rate in this country
Reply 104
A good salary is whatever you need to run your household with enough left over for a bit of fun and some toys BUT not so much that you can have everything you want - you should always have something to aspire towards.

An arbitrary figure won't work.
I'd be very happy with 40K
Reply 106
Original post by Rakas21
A desirable peak salary living alone would be around £50k pre tax. A desirable pre-tax household income with children and a wife would be around £75k.

+support
If you don't have any debt you can live fairly happily on £18k+ outside London I'd say, though that's as a single person. As for a good salary I guess above median which is meant to be 25k odd now I think, though I suspect that is distorted heavily by London as most jobs pay <22k where I am and that's the south east.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
I didn't see this before. A mortgage payment of £1,000 a month?? What are you living in a mansion? :biggrin:

If you wanted to take a 10 year mortgage for £100-£150k then it's quite possible.

I certainly have no intention of leveraging my primary asset for 25 years.
Original post by Rakas21
If you wanted to take a 10 year mortgage for £100-£150k then it's quite possible.

I certainly have no intention of leveraging my primary asset for 25 years.

I wonder what salary you'd need for a mortgage on a property in the millions
Original post by Eveiebaby
I'd be very happy with 40K

Same.

The handiest thing would be living with someone else; nicer flats and shared bills.
Original post by Reue
+support

Forgot the wife's tax threshold for household income so it's £65k (this limits her to car for herself and £500-700 per month to spend on clothes and such). :tongue:

The Tory tax changes would push that household figure down to about £60k.

Original post by Birkenhead

One imagines that most people getting such a property have a significant deposit rather than a 5-10% mortgage. Interesting question though.
Reply 112
A good salary depends on your expenses. The definition (in my opinion) of a good salary is having at least 25% of your money uncommitted to necessities of living (rent/mortgage, food, travel costs, clothing, utilities etc). This is also heavily dependent on where you live, as well. For a normal person, with normal expectations of standards of living:

£30k for a single person.
£50k for a couple (joint income).
£60k after the first child, averaging out the increase in costs as the child grows up, + £8k a year for each subsequent child.

This would be a good salary to be on. It is by no means a 'dream' salary, but on this money you wouldn't exactly feel hard done by. It's not brilliant, not fantastic, just 'good'. This is only based on job salary, not income through investment.
(edited 9 years ago)
For me £30k if I was just supporting myself, and didn't have a hugely expensive rent.

I think for couples/families a combined income of £60-£80k is very good and they could live pretty comfortably on that.
I either have more realistic expectations or just have low aspirations.

Also lol at the 60k+ required for a family. I feel like a right scrubber.
(edited 9 years ago)
Personally, I think I'd be comfortable with with £200k per annum, but I could make do with £175k.

Anything less and you're talking pauper levels. Wouldn't be able to bring myself to show my face in Waitrose for anything less.
Reply 116
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I either have more realistic expectations or just have low aspirations.

Also lol at the 60k+ required for a family. I feel like a right scrubber.

Given some people in this thread I suspect it's more realism.
Ideally, I'd like to be super rich lol, but there's a really slim chance that's it going to happen, so I'd be very happy with ¨200 k a year ( and that too is probably not gonna happen lol )
Reply 118
Original post by Birkenhead

My experience is that most of that kind of value are either bought outright or longterm rented.
Original post by ebam_uk
yeah I aiming to earn between the 60k to 80k earning potential.

loooooool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending