What do you think is a good salary and why? Watch

SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xDave-)
How? If you're renting, you're looking at 800+ per month. I live in Hertfordshire, and the cheapest I've seen near me is £725 a month. Even renting a room in a house is going to cost around £500+. If we say £15 for food per week (which is a very low estimate, especially when you're a vegetarian like me and everything is way more expensive) then you're on 860 spend already. My bus costs £75 a month, and I can't imagine there being any cheaper form of transport than that, so that's 935. Then you have electricity, gas, internet, and water; that's gonna be a very close shave for coming under £1000, and this is all low estimates.

If you're prepared to live with other people, then you can do it with some money to spare, but no way can you move out alone on this sort of money.

I don't see how, based on what I said above.
Well then you clearly live in an expensive area, my post said "unless you live in london, or another expensive area".

Edit: I also had a look at properties to rent in your general area and I very easily found 1 bedroom flats to rent for as little as £400 a month, and house shares for as little as £280 a month (including bills).
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SarcasticMel)
If you want to eat crap...
I eat very well.
miser
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Are you doing pretty well for yourself?
I am for my age but I'm not there just yet.
SarcasticMel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
I eat very well.
I didn't mean the taste. I meant the quality.
bahonsi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
£60-£100. It's pretty much enough to just about get by.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
Just wondering...keep in mind bills,rent,needs and wants....
A desirable peak salary living alone would be around £50k pre tax. A desirable pre-tax household income with children and a wife would be around £65k.
singapaul
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What ever it is double it to account for the ridiculous tax rate in this country
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A good salary is whatever you need to run your household with enough left over for a bit of fun and some toys BUT not so much that you can have everything you want - you should always have something to aspire towards.

An arbitrary figure won't work.
Eveiebaby
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd be very happy with 40K
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
A desirable peak salary living alone would be around £50k pre tax. A desirable pre-tax household income with children and a wife would be around £75k.
+support
Jono404
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you don't have any debt you can live fairly happily on £18k+ outside London I'd say, though that's as a single person. As for a good salary I guess above median which is meant to be 25k odd now I think, though I suspect that is distorted heavily by London as most jobs pay <22k where I am and that's the south east.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Balloon Baboon)
I didn't see this before. A mortgage payment of £1,000 a month?? What are you living in a mansion?
If you wanted to take a 10 year mortgage for £100-£150k then it's quite possible.

I certainly have no intention of leveraging my primary asset for 25 years.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
If you wanted to take a 10 year mortgage for £100-£150k then it's quite possible.

I certainly have no intention of leveraging my primary asset for 25 years.
I wonder what salary you'd need for a mortgage on a property in the millions
Guills on wheels
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Eveiebaby)
I'd be very happy with 40K
Same.

The handiest thing would be living with someone else; nicer flats and shared bills.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
+support
Forgot the wife's tax threshold for household income so it's £65k (this limits her to car for herself and £500-700 per month to spend on clothes and such).

The Tory tax changes would push that household figure down to about £60k.

(Original post by Birkenhead)
I wonder what salary you'd need for a mortgage on a property in the millions
One imagines that most people getting such a property have a significant deposit rather than a 5-10% mortgage. Interesting question though.
VannR
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A good salary depends on your expenses. The definition (in my opinion) of a good salary is having at least 25% of your money uncommitted to necessities of living (rent/mortgage, food, travel costs, clothing, utilities etc). This is also heavily dependent on where you live, as well. For a normal person, with normal expectations of standards of living:

£30k for a single person.
£50k for a couple (joint income).
£60k after the first child, averaging out the increase in costs as the child grows up, + £8k a year for each subsequent child.

This would be a good salary to be on. It is by no means a 'dream' salary, but on this money you wouldn't exactly feel hard done by. It's not brilliant, not fantastic, just 'good'. This is only based on job salary, not income through investment.
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me £30k if I was just supporting myself, and didn't have a hugely expensive rent.

I think for couples/families a combined income of £60-£80k is very good and they could live pretty comfortably on that.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I either have more realistic expectations or just have low aspirations.

Also lol at the 60k+ required for a family. I feel like a right scrubber.
Hippysnake
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally, I think I'd be comfortable with with £200k per annum, but I could make do with £175k.

Anything less and you're talking pauper levels. Wouldn't be able to bring myself to show my face in Waitrose for anything less.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
I either have more realistic expectations or just have low aspirations.

Also lol at the 60k+ required for a family. I feel like a right scrubber.
Given some people in this thread I suspect it's more realism.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads