trustmeimlying1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
We are the biggest party

Posted from TSR Mobile
hmm so these sort of political forums attract more hipees..interesting..
Superunknown17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
Yep, we're all tree hugging, dope smoking, Hendrix listening free spirits.

Take your head out of the sixties and realise that the Greens are a progressive and pragmatic party. Try reading our manifesto before labelling us as hippies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just a phase. We've had a period of Lib Dem winning early on (Mhoc was created in 05), then Tories, then Labour and now it seems the Greens.

I'd also point out out that the proportional nature of our 7 party system means it can be easier to still end up in government. Between the 15th and 18th parliaments inclusive we Tories were the largest party for less than a full term (we seem to do well in by-elections where the voters actually visit the Mhoc rather than get the mass PM) but i was PM 3 of the 4 terms (each lasts round about 6 months).
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Just a phase. We've had a period of Lib Dem winning early on (Mhoc was created in 05), then Tories, then Labour and now it seems the Greens.

I'd also point out out that the proportional nature of our 7 party system means it can be easier to still end up in government. Between the 15th and 18th parliaments inclusive we Tories were the largest party for less than a full term (we seem to do well in by-elections where the voters actually visit the Mhoc rather than get the mass PM) but i was PM 3 of the 4 terms (each lasts round about 6 months).
wow fair play former PM

its all very interesting..personally Im irish so the politics isnt quite as personal to me but..the concept is cool

that said it must be very time consuming for ...essentially a game.a hobbie of sorts I guess.
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Superunknown17)
Yep, we're all tree hugging, dope smoking, Hendrix listening free spirits.

Take your head out of the sixties and realise that the Greens are a progressive and pragmatic party. Try reading our manifesto before labelling us as hippies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can add friendly to that list too

there sometimes about the green that always lacks on a pragmatic basis certainly in reality in ireland.

But I guess as the majority they may prove decent leaders.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
wow fair play former PM

its all very interesting..personally Im irish so the politics isnt quite as personal to me but..the concept is cool

that said it must be very time consuming for ...essentially a game.a hobbie of sorts I guess.
Plenty of nationalists on here sadly, both Irish and Northern Irish.

Not really. Commenting on bills takes no longer than commenting in the UK Politics section, if i was to create a bill and back it with good notes and evidence then less than an hour.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can add friendly to that list too

there sometimes about the green that always lacks on a pragmatic basis certainly in reality in ireland.

But I guess as the majority they may prove decent leaders.
Thankfully, the Greens on here are a whole lot better than the mess that was dropped on Ireland
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Not really. Commenting on bills takes no longer than commenting in the UK Politics section, if i was to create a bill and back it with good notes and evidence then less than an hour.
Plenty of Tories on here too, sadly.
TopHat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The House definitely goes through phases. The early house was often very Conservative, then switched over towards the Liberal Democrats, then after the tuition fees debacle Labour rose to the top, and just recently the Greens have been coming up nicely. If Labour wins the next real life election, I'd expect to see the Conservatives come back to strength quite quickly. People tend to vote against the real life government, whoever they may be, I'm not convinced internal TSR politics makes much change.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Plenty of Tories on here too, sadly.
We don't want to break up the country (infact i'd welcome Ireland back).
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TopHat)
The House definitely goes through phases. The early house was often very Conservative, then switched over towards the Liberal Democrats, then after the tuition fees debacle Labour rose to the top, and just recently the Greens have been coming up nicely. If Labour wins the next real life election, I'd expect to see the Conservatives come back to strength quite quickly. People tend to vote against the real life government, whoever they may be, I'm not convinced internal TSR politics makes much change.
I've often thought that there's a general consensus to go with the media. The Lib Dems were popular when Blair was unpopular and Cameron was not known, the Tories were popular when the world was falling apart and Labour was popular as you say, pretty much as soon as the Tories came to power. The Greens seem to be treat kindly by the media at the moment so that may contribute to why they have gained rather than Ukip who the media treat as polarizing.

In by-elections (not sure when you left but we have these now for inactive MP's) the Tories on here have never polled lower than 24% (a general election winning number in most cases) because the 100-200 voters actually visit the Mhoc rather than get a mass PM and go with RL. Whether that's down to knowledge of the house, size of the parties, activity or what i'm not entirely sure but there does seem to be a big difference.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We don't want to break up the country (infact i'd welcome Ireland back).
Actually, so would I.
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TopHat)
very interesting and predictable..
its unfortunate the party in power always suffers a fall in popularity..
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
Thankfully, the Greens on here are a whole lot better than the mess that was dropped on Ireland
haha are you familiar with the green brigade in ireland:?

to be fair they were a tiny minority but they went from a well known party to nothing today

I dont believe the greens are that popular in real life either in the uk:?
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

like irish nationalists and why sadly?

yes but its all the knowledge and the everything else that comes with it

its interesting I dont deny it but time consuming and ultimately useless like playing a video game or debating like we are right now p
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
haha are you familiar with the green brigade in ireland:?

to be fair they were a tiny minority but they went from a well known party to nothing today

I dont believe the greens are that popular in real life either in the uk:?
It probably says a lot about my background that I was initially confused, thinking of a rather different "Green Brigade" :lol: But yep, and the backlash against them of late too - all too familiar a story with the suffering of a junior coalition partner who'd betrayed their principles

Traditionally they haven't been, but they've grown recently - they've doubled their membership this year to around 30,000, and are now polling around five to sever percent in the polls for the upcoming General Election. Not enough to influence Government directly, but enough that Labour is becoming very concerned at the potential split in the left-wing vote.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
like irish nationalists and why sadly?

yes but its all the knowledge and the everything else that comes with it

its interesting I dont deny it but time consuming and ultimately useless like playing a video game or debating like we are right now p
Aye. I believe in the reunification of the British Isles, am open to the unification of the Anglosphere and in time the unification of the Anglosphere and EU. I suppose i'm a bit of a western supremacist since i value our collective power in the world.

True.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
It probably says a lot about my background that I was initially confused, thinking of a rather different "Green Brigade" :lol: But yep, and the backlash against them of late too - all too familiar a story with the suffering of a junior coalition partner who'd betrayed their principles

Traditionally they haven't been, but they've grown recently - they've doubled their membership this year to around 30,000, and are now polling around five to sever percent in the polls for the upcoming General Election. Not enough to influence Government directly, but enough that Labour is becoming very concerned at the potential split in the left-wing vote.
Are Labour really concerned? I've not seen or heard them do anything that would indicate so.

Not saying they shouldn't be.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are Labour really concerned? I've not seen or heard them do anything that would indicate so.

Not saying they shouldn't be.
They've set up an "Anti-Green Task Force" headed by Sadiq Khan, with the intention of showing voters in Green-friendly marginals that Miliband isn't like Blair but is instead a fluffy little social democrat who didn't like the Iraq War, loves the environment and all the rest of it without putting off voters elsewhere who might swing to the Tories or UKIP if that was the general party line.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads