Are good degrees from bad universities worthless? Watch

datpiff
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Brit_Miller)
I think you're looking at it the wrong way there. Recruitment is a very expensive process. If the guy has been offered interviews it's because the potential employers think he may be good enough. He doesn't need to get a master's degree - he needs to work on his interview technique.
Also fitting in within the culture if the organisation is a big factor. The interviewer may think you're more than capable of doing the job, but they just like the other applicant more because the think he/she would fit in more.

Also interviewers tend to pick people they 'like', which is a harsh reality. Especially in retail, most office jobs, recruitment, etc. What they go for depends on the interviewer's age, gender, ethnicity, class, experience and how pervy they are (it's not uncommon for interviewers to just employ someone because they'd like a girl with sexy legs and a cute face walking around the office).

Public sector jobs are a different animal. The interviews are very formal and processes are strict.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brit_Miller
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by datpiff)
Also fitting in within the culture if the organisation is a big factor. The interviewer may think you're more than capable of doing the job, but they just like the other applicant more because the think he/she would fit in more.

Also interviewers tend to pick people they 'like', which is a harsh reality. Especially in retail, most office jobs, recruitment, etc. What they go for depends on the interviewer's age, gender, ethnicity, class, experience and how pervy they are (it's not uncommon for interviewers to just employ someone because they'd like a girl with sexy legs and a cute face walking around the office).

Public sector jobs are a different animal. The interviews are very formal and processes are strict.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree. Personally I think the most important thing is to come across as likeable (and obviously answer the standard questions the right way). If they think you're going to be a nice person to work with you stand a much better chance.
datpiff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Brit_Miller)
I agree. Personally I think the most important thing is to come across as likeable (and obviously answer the standard questions the right way). If they think you're going to be a nice person to work with you stand a much better chance.
Most of the time you just can't avoid or improve your chances. A lot of employers have a personality type and the look of the person in their head (especially retail where the default seems to be an extroverted, good looking and bubbly white female). You just have to be honest and be yourself. Sometimes it's weird quirks that can get you a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brit_Miller
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by datpiff)
Most of the time you just can't avoid or improve your chances. A lot of employers have a personality type and the look of the person in their head (especially retail where the default seems to be an extroverted, good looking and bubbly white female). You just have to be honest and be yourself. Sometimes it's weird quirks that can get you a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, I really struggled for the few jobs I applied for when trying for a year in industry. I'm quite introverted and struggle with coming across as excited and motivated!
The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamesb22)
Do you go to Oxbridge? Would you reject a potential boyfriend if they went to Leeds Met for example?
Yes tbh. Unless they have additional achievements afterwards.
Skill Twix
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChangeOurWorld)
No I don't, but I'm going to LSE next year. Regardless of the fact I don't really do relationships, if you'd ask me that question a few years ago I would have said oh DEFINITLY I would reject him. However, I've changed a lot and I've opened my eyes to the world and looked beyond my very narrow view I held before. So now I would say, not completely. Very recently actually I was attracted to somebody that hadnt even gone to university and had no intention to. They came from a very different and less affluent life that I do and it was actually rather refreshing. I was still attracted to them despite their lack of university education.

However, I think that at the end of the day what university somebody goes to is going to affect my attraction to them to a degree. Purely because I am attracted to intelligence as an entity and universities to an extent is a way to gauge intelligence. I'm not saying that everybody at UCL is more intelligent than Bournemtouth universiry students, I'm just saying as entry requirements are generally higher at UCL, acceptance to said institution may mean that a student has higher grades and thus perceived increase in intelligence ( although I am the first to admit that grades are only one way to gauge intelligence) making them more attractive in my eyes.
I'd disagree(to a certain extent).I know someone who got 3 A*s and goes to Manchester for Economics(has a really bad UK ranking)
hau28
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think when op said bad uni they were referring to an ex-poly/ outside the top 40, as opposed to any uni that isn't oxbridge. Imo, while its not worthless it's definitely not worth as much. For one, most of the courses those type of unis offer are Mickey Mouse degrees. Secondly, even if it were something respectable like French, economics or Ebglish lit, most employers will know that a 2:1 from sheffield Hallam m does not hold the same weight as a 2:1 from sheffield.
statsman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it is about employer views, then I think you had better use Linkedin to have an idea of some real careers of any particular univesity's alumni. Also have a look at a few credible rankings where employer views matter. This way, you may base your views on some facts, at the least, instead of word of mouth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (469)
38.13%
No - but I will (95)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.07%

Watched Threads